Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New to PD8 - How to burn?
Aeromotive [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 13, 2009 15:54 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hey all,

I'm new to PD8 and I love working with it! Lately I tried to burn directly from PD8 to a DVD and it didn't work. So I searched the forums here and found out that I could burn to a folder and then use an external software to burn to a DVD. My question is : now that I created my folder, what do I need to burn exactly?

I have a folder called BDMV, which contains BACKUP, CLIPINF, PLAYLIST, STREAM and index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv. What do I drag to my burning software in order to have proper/working menus in my final products?

Also, using Nero, I get the choice of DVD-ROM (ISO), DVD-VIDEO, DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO) and DVD-ROM (UDF). Which one should I choose (I'm burning .m2ts files)

Thank you very much!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I believe that BDMV is Blu-Ray. For DVD you need a video_ts folder, which will contain .vob, .ifo and .bup files. What you do is start a new DVD Video project (in Nero). Put all of the files inside your Video_ts folder from PD into the one that will be present in Nero. Then burn. You can also use DVD-UDF and just burn the whole video_ts folder.

I'm not sure if it will work with the files that you have, but if you try it, you will probably want to use the DVD-UDF option. Blu-Ray players are pretty forgiving and it may work, but it will definitely not work on a DVD player. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

BDMV is most certainly a Blu-ray folder. In the 'Create Disc' module, you need to select DVD (not AVCHD unless you have a Blu-ray Player or PS3), before burning to folders.

I have an old version of Power Producer that I use to burn discs from folders which does the job!

You said burning direct to DVD did not work. What kind of error messages were you getting?

Cheers,

Andrew

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
Aeromotive [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick answers!

Actually I want to burn a DVD (not Bluray) and watch HD content on my PS3. I know I'm limited by disc space, but it's much easier for me...

When I created the disc (on my Hard-drive), I chose AVCHD, thinking that would be my option for HD viewing? Is this OK?

So do I just take the whole BDMV folder to my burning software, and let it burn? Can I expect my menus to work by doing this?

Basically when I try to burn, I get a message that says "not enough system memory..." or something like that. However I'm new to this and I'm not sure if it's my fault or not, but I saw many similar problems on the forums... So I'm starting to think it's software-related.

BTW here are my *rough* specs : Q9550, 8GB ram, HD4870 1GB GDDR5

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2009 14:35

Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Sorry, I forgot that BDMV folders are created for AVCHD DVD too! Yes, if you want HD content on your PS3, AVCHD or Blu-ray is the way to go!

Yes, when you burn to folders it will definately copy all your project settings such as menu designs etc All you have to do is find the software to do it! As I said I use the various gadgets in Powerproducer 5 to burn to folders.

The memory error is a known issue, and if my recent testing of the latest PD8 build is accurate, the latest patch for PD8 should correct it. It's release should be this month, so you may not have too much longer to wait to burn without issues!

You should be very pleased with the outcome. I've made one or two AVCHD DVDs and the quality is excellent.

Cheers,

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2009 14:52

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Aeromotive [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK thanks Andrew!
I dragged and dropped the BDMV folder into Nero and chose "DVD-ROM (UDF)". It's now burning... will keep you updated with the results!

Thanks again!
Aeromotive [Avatar]
[Post New]
Update : unfortunately when I burn the BDMV folder to a DVD, the PS3 won't play the disc, although it clearly recognizes it as an AVCHD/Bluray disc...

So I tried burning not the BDMV folder as a whole, but only its content (folders called playlist, stream, etc.), and now the PS3 played it. The only problem was I couldn't access the menus I had created. I could only "play" them (they appeared as 10-14 seconds videos that I could just play). And I could play my main video with transitions, effets, etc.

Any help from here would be greatly appreciated as I don't know what I could do next!

Thanks!
Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm no expert with Nero at all I'm afraid. Why not download the trial for Power Producer 5, and use the burn from folders option in there, just to set your mind at rest that you've done nothing wrong, which I'm sure you haven't!

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/powerproducer/download_en_GB.html

You need to go into the utilities section as soon as the program loads, not create a project.

Cheers,

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2009 15:12

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know about nero as I don't use it. PS3's typically require a UDF 2.5 format for AVCHD DVD's, not the typical UDF 1.02 for SD DVD's. Most burning software adjusts this if you set it incorrectly when it sees the BDMV folder. If not you can usually set it manually too. Also make sure that you select to burn is the BDMV folder that is typically inside the PD8 "My Video" folder.

If you burn using UDF other than 2.5, the PS3 will recognize the disk as AVCHD but then usually display an error saying it can not be played.

If you not familiar with burning requirements, Imgburn (freeware) is very good and adjusts a lot of these issues for you.

Jeff
Aeromotive [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your wonderful help.

I downloaded ImgBurn and just started to burn using UDF 2.50. I selected the BDMV folder.

Will let you know how it goes...
Aeromotive [Avatar]
[Post New]
Update : I think it's finally working! There's one problem though : when using ImgBurn and burning the BDMV folder with UDF 2.5, the verification process (post-burning) always fails for some reason. But the video still plays, at least for what I tried out. Anyone knows what's the issue? Thanks!