Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
MP4 will not open or Import. But works in other programs
David Mac [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 10, 2020 18:32 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought Power Director 365 just to work with some files from my security cameras. They are saved as MP4 files and I have no other option. I can play the files in another player but not Power Director. Suggestions
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are many possible reasons why PD doesn't work with these clips. Since we don't have any information about your system or the clips themselves, it would be helpful to see a sample clip to at least see how it's encoded.

You can't attach any video clips larger than 5MB in the forum, so you'll have to upload it to a cloud service like Google Drive or OneDrive and then post a shareable link here. Please see the Share a file publicly section in this Google FAQ or this OneDrive
support page if needed.

You can also try transcoding the clip in a free app like Handbrake into a more compatible format, but again it would help to have an actual clip to work with.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I don’t know of any standards that security camera footage have to follow as some can only be viewed properly on the manufacturer’s supplied viewer software.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Agree with tomasc, I've worked several times with security footage and no standard I think puts it mildly, I've seen a vast array and in just my very narrow experience. What has worked 99+% of the time for me, as long as HandBrake can read the file, simply convert with HandBrake to a very standard h.264 file specification and edit that with PD.

Jeff