Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Enabling the video stabilizer on a clip causes jerky preview playback
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Editing a project, I've ancountered a problem using the video stabilizer on a clip that has a shadow file.
The clip concerned was recorded with the camcorder on at shoulder height whilst walking down a street. The last few seconds of the raw video in the clip has camera bounce in it, so I decided to use the stabilizer to smooth it out.
With the stabilizer enabled, the preview playback is smoothed Ok, BUT jerky to the point of a single frame every second or so - like a slideshow of photos.

It's always been my understanding/experience that proxy/shadow files are there just to smooth out jerky processing just for editing: edits applied to the shadow file are applied to the main file at render time.

I've checked the shadow files folder and there is a shadow file for the clip that has been stabilized.

So, why does applying the stabilizer at default settings make the preview playback of the clip jerky??

Attached are screenshots of the preferences shadow file resolution setting, and the clip properties, both against the background of stabilizer set.
[Thumb - Stabilizer causes jerky playback in preview.jpg]
 Filename
Stabilizer causes jerky playback in preview.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
287 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - Stabilizer causes jerky playback in preview_2.jpg]
 Filename
Stabilizer causes jerky playback in preview_2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
295 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So, why does applying the stabilizer at default settings make the preview playback of the clip jerky??

Computationally very taxing as you have to decode to individual frame level, stabilize, display. A improved CPU will assist, but still choppy playback. Same for video speedup,......other corrections too. In such cases render preview will create smooth playback but often not worth the hassle as one knows produced file will typically be just fine.

Jeff
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
So, I guess there isn't an answer short of buying a super-computer.

Somewhat disappointing: I'd hoped it was just a matter of (my) ommission or technique. proDAD supplies a stabilizer to other editors (mercalli) which works fine in this situation, ie no preview playback problems. Since PD uses other proDAD filters (Adorage/Vitascene), Cyberlink should consider using a stabilizer from the same stable that works better in this situation than the one currently in use.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Uncheck Use enhanced stabilizer. You may find very little difference on most material. This behavior is addressed in the Help files.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2020 21:12

Davidk101
[Post New]
I tried that before my initial post, using just the rotational camera shake item. The result wasn't jerky, but it didn't remove all the wobbles. So then I applied the enhanced stabilizer, per the UG, and that got me jerky video, big-time.

The help files has an entry for the video stabilizer, but it just (basically) says it's there.
The UG has more detail, but essentially the info was as JL indicated.

The point of my last post is that there is a motion stabilizer filter available from proDAD that doesn't have this sort of side effect, and it delivers stabilised motion in real time on a proxy/shadow file in normal preview play. It takes a setup cycle, and once going you dare not change the length of the clip the stability is applied to (even by using a transition) without an irritating advisory that the changed clip needed to be re-adjusted. But the essential item is that it's real time operation in preview is great: you can see what the effect will be in edit mode on the project file clip, with no special action in the preview.

I posted a feedback to this effect, but even if CB takes it up, it would be version 20 unless there's a policy of new features rolled out in an upgrade.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are 3 ways I can think of to deal with this besides upgrading your hardware or waiting for a possible product update.

The first is what Jeff stated, which is to have PD pre-render the stabilized section. A variation of that is to use Range Selection then Produce Range and replace the stabilized section on the timeline with the produced version. Each of these removes the burden of trying to make the required computations in real time for previewing.

A third option would be to use an intermediate codec like MagicYUV, which is not encoded and therefore much easier for PD to work with, especially when making computationally-intensive edits. You have to convert the clip beforehand and the file size will be 10x larger than the original clip, but evrything will be much smoother when working with MagicYUV clip(s) inside PD.