Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Where is the Estimated File Size in the Photo Export section? (PhD365)
[Post New]
I have a need to create small (< 2MB) thumbnails for my YouTube Videos.

When I used PhD9, the File Size indicator was always visible when I tried to Export/Save an Image. This was very helpful so that I knew exactly what the projected new size of the image would be when I saved it. Now, with PhD365, I no longer see the File Size there when exporting and I have to try multiple times to get it right to get it as close to 2MB as possible (don't want a low quality image.)

I have checked all the settings and can't find anything to make the File Size indicator appear. Is there something that I am missing?

I've attached the pics to show you what I mean.

Thanks.
[Thumb - 2020-10-06_10-07-37.jpg]
 Filename
2020-10-06_10-07-37.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PhD365
 Filesize
79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - 2020-10-06_10-09-34.jpg]
 Filename
2020-10-06_10-09-34.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PhD9
 Filesize
89 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the screenshots. Like you, I don't see the estimated size anywhere and I also didn't see anything in the Help file.

Interestingly, the new screen looks almost identical to PhD 7 (with a quality slider, too), so the estimated size was a newer change and now it's been removed again:

Unless another forum member can figure this out, you may want to use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under the Help menu to ask if they can bring that feature back.

In the meantime, obviously you're stuck with trial and error using quality slider/resolution/pixels-per-inch/cm or use a free 3rd party app like IrfanView to resize to a max file size (FYI IrfanView can do that for JPG but not PNG images).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2020 16:44

[Post New]
Thanks for the reply and for the tip on using IrfanView! I have gone ahead and submitted the Suggestion via the Help menu.
[Post New]
Hello JimNJ,

As you & optodata have found, the file size estimator has (for whatever reason) been removed from the GUI in PhD12. I believe it was introduced the PhD9 & has been part of the Export module since then... up until now.

There's a useful online tool I've used from time to time that may assist you. All you do is enter your export resolution & it provides an estimated file size for common image formats, including JPG, PNG & TIFF.

Megapixel Calculator

PIX PIX YouTube channel