Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Working with video in PiP
mwhite1249 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 23, 2020 19:13 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I am very new to video editing and trying to learn, so please excuse me if this is an obvious question.

I have a video on a time-line, shrank it down using PiP, applied a circle mask, and parked it in the lower left corner, so it's like a talking head of me. I use the rest of the screen to display information, images, etc.

At some points I would like to enlarge the image of me to be full sceen size, and remove the mask. Then move it back to the corner for the next section.

Can I do this with keyframes and PiP and just leave the video alone (mpg) inside of that? Like working with an object, resizing and moving it, but doing that with a video? Do I need to set keyframes?

Or should I slice and dice the video, adding the desired effects as I go? And if I take that route, how do I add effects, like transitioning between the different settings, ie talking head to full screen and back again?

Thanks for any advice on the best way to approach this. Making tutorial videos, so most of the time I want to use the talking head in the corner.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 04. 2020 15:14

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi mwhite1249 -

The simplest thing to do would be to split your talking head video at the points where you want to switch from masked PiP to full screen & back again.

Then just resize & mask the parts you want to be PiP.

An alternative approach would be to have duplicate copies of the talking head video on separate tracks. Resize & mask one & leave the other at full screen. Next, go through and split both talking head videos at the same points. Then just remove (leave gap) alternate sections of the talking head videos.

If you want the talking head video to zoom to full screen or back to the corner, that will take some keyframing in PiP Designer.

You could make your editing simpler by not using a mask, so all your resizing could be simply keyframed in PiP Designer.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Ynotfish was fantastic in his explanation I have done this way, usually using 2 tracks.
One suggestion, in your case that you want to make the transition a few times, do the first, the following will use Copy Keyframe Attributes on the first and Paste Keyframe Attributes on the following.
(That this does not work for mask)
I suppose there will be 2 effects of output another of input.As I do, split the video at the beginning and end of the effect, time about 1 to 2 sec you decide.
The time must be the same for everyone.
With the pip video in track 2 you can try to use transition and be free of the divisions.
Video, with the pip in fixed size, use transition fade in the input and output.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 05. 2020 12:00

XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
mwhite1249 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 23, 2020 19:13 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Awesome reply. Thanks. You covered all my questions.