Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Title, Soundtrack & Narration tracks missing after update
Grand Adventure [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2019 21:25 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I just updated PD 365 this week, and I'm seeing a strange phenomenon whereby title, soundtrack and narration tracks are now missing on projects I create. For the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to bring them back, either. All I get now in the timeline are Video Track 1/Audio Track 1, Video Track 2/Audio Track 2, etc. See attachment for a screenshot.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
These are all of the tracks visible in my timeline.
 Filesize
317 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's correct. I think CL finally made this change after hearing from many people that they didn't want to have so many default tracks that couldn't ever be removed. There's no real reason for those specialized tracks as the content they were dedicated to could easily be placed on any standard track

The Sticky posts/FAQs at the top of the forum index page have all kinds of useful details. Here's the main one which also has a link to the main user interface changes.
Grand Adventure [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2019 21:25 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote That's correct. I think CL finally made this change after hearing from many people that they didn't want to have so many default tracks that couldn't ever be removed. There's no real reason for those specialized tracks as the content they were dedicated to could easily be placed on any standard track

The Sticky posts/FAQs at the top of the forum index page have all kinds of useful details. Here's the main one which also has a link to the main user interface changes.

Well that sucks. I wish that they had allowed us to put those tracks back like the effects track. I appreciate the effects track being gone as I hardly ever use it, but for my method of editing it was helpful to have soundtrack and narration on their own dedicated tracks. Oh well. Appreciate you pointing me to the answer!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You can use Rate US & Provide Suggestions under PD's File menu to let them know you'd like to have the option to add those specific tracks back (just like the FX track).
3POINT [Avatar]
Member Location: Germany Joined: Oct 01, 2015 03:52 Messages: 149 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You can use Rate US & Provide Suggestions under PD's File menu to let them know you'd like to have the option to add those specific tracks back (just like the FX track).

I really like this new way of track setup, get rid of those unnecessary tracks, just add them when you need them. The only thing that's a lttle annoying that always automatically a video+audio track is added. I would prefer to add or delete a video or audio track only when necessary.
Lin52 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 03, 2012 00:56 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I've regularly used the Title and Narration tracks in my video projects, but when I reload a project created before the update I'm presented with a single merged track. Is there any way to separate out the Title and Narration tracks so they can be edited or deleted?
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
I liked this modification, now I can work with only 2 tracks for simple editing.
Any track can be named, see image.
You can add a new track for, video (text. image), audio (music, voice) and Effect.

Project attachment that adds time line as shown in the image.
Advantage of using few track’s, it facilitates for simple edits and increases the preview window.
 Filename
Timeline Project.pds
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
146 time(s)
[Thumb - pd19 timeline.jpg]
 Filename
pd19 timeline.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
286 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Nov 09. 2020 09:03

XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I've regularly used the Title and Narration tracks in my video projects, but when I reload a project created before the update I'm presented with a single merged track. Is there any way to separate out the Title and Narration tracks so they can be edited or deleted?

I haven't seen that, but if they're truly merged into a single clip all you need to do is right-click on the clip(s) on the merged track and choose Link/Unlink Video and Audio.
Lin52 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I liked this modification, now I can work with only 2 tracks for simple editing.
Any track can be named, see image.
You can add a new track for, video (text. image), audio (music, voice) and Effect.

Project attachment that adds time line as shown in the image.
Advantage of using few track’s, it facilitates for simple edits and increases the preview window.

Thank you for your reply, but that's not the concern I have. Under the previous format I typically used 3 or 4 tracks to add different components to the videos I produced. What has happened now is that where the original project was spread over the 3 or 4 tracks used I'm now presented with a single merged track which means that I cannot access the original individual tracks to make the changes I now need.
Lin52 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I haven't seen that, but if they're truly merged into a single clip all you need to do is right-click on the clip(s) on the merged track and choose Link/Unlink Video and Audio.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, just separating the video and audio components doesn't solve the issue. I typically use 3 to 4 different track in the videos I produce. The original video capture with it's soundtrack, titles, narration (usually background music or sound effects) and sometimes fx. With the merged track I cannot access titles separately from the original video capture and the narration separately from the original soundtrack. I need to be able to access all the original tracks separately so each can be individually changed or replaced.
optodata
[Post New]
If you're seeing a single track, with no separate clips or any of the titles that were in the original project, it sounds like you've only got the finished video and not the original project at all. PD simply can't make any changes to an existing project like the ones you're describing

How are you opening up an earlier project? Are you double clicking on a PDS file or importing a clip into PD? With PD open, go to File > Open Project and try opening up a different project than the one you're having trouble with.
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lin52

Check in preferences, Editing, Set defalt insert project behavior, if the option selected, As Nested Project
You must choose, As Expanded Project
Here it worked in the past.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 10. 2020 05:38

Lin52 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Lin52

Check in preferences, Editing, Set defalt insert project behavior, if the option selected, As Nested Project
You must choose, As Expanded Project
Here it worked in the past.

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. I can now see and access all the original tracks.
jarome [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 19, 2015 16:04 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Quote That's correct. I think CL finally made this change after hearing from many people that they didn't want to have so many default tracks that couldn't ever be removed. There's no real reason for those specialized tracks as the content they were dedicated to could easily be placed on any standard track

If I put titles on a video track, they do not appear over the main video the way they did on the "T" track. So how do I add Titles as overlays, or how do I get back the "T" track?
optodata
[Post New]
Quote If I put titles on a video track, they do not appear over the main video the way they did on the "T" track. So how do I add Titles as overlays, or how do I get back the "T" track?

You always have to put titles (or any object) that you want to show "in front" of other clips on a lower track (UNLESS you've chosen the option to reverse the order of timeline tracks so the top-most track is always in front).

So with the normal setting, if your main clips are on track 1 your title would need to go on any track below that. If you have clips on tracks 1-5, your title would need to go on track 7 to appear in front of all the other objects.

This was always the case even when T tracks were available, although the default title track was always the lowest visual-based track on the timeline so you may not have noticed that it had to be there for the text to be visible.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 26. 2021 15:45

jarome [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 19, 2015 16:04 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]

You always have to put titles (or any object) that you want to show "in front" of other clips on a lower track (UNLESS you've chosen the option to reverse the order of timeline tracks so the top-most track is always in front).

So with the normal setting, if your main clips are on track 1 your title would need to go on any track below that. If you have clips on tracks 1-5, your title would need to go on track 7 to appear in front of all the other objects.

This was always the case even when T tracks were available, although the default title track was always the lowest visual-based track on the timeline so you may not have noticed that it had to be there for the text to be visible.

So unobvious. The T track was easier. And I spent an hour looking for it or how to display it. The update notes did not discuss how to handle this.
Thanks.