Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD7 preview runs slow when editing...any help?
Albert H. [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Los Angeles, CA Joined: Feb 23, 2009 12:57 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have a high-end computer system, so I know it's not an hardware issue. Is there any way to make the preview run smoother when adding transitions and PIP layers?? The preview sometimes run ridiculously slow, and at times, stops all together...

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

Btw, my system specs are as follows:

CPU: Core i7 (3.2ghz)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 260 216 cores
RAM: 6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 (on tri-channel)
HDD: 1.2TB (two Western Digital Black Edition on Raid 0)
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe
S/C: Asus Xonar D2X

So yeah, I know it's definitely not my computer...
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Please clarify. Please supply the following information:
You can not pinpoint the issue BUT you can give more detail of content and provide a visual image as well as a diagnostic of your set up. Please note that 3 (x100kb) images/files can be attached to your reply.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A - name it
PART B - provide it
PART F - use them
PART E - an alternative
PART D - presentation is important

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 15. 2009 04:28

Pekka [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 21, 2008 15:05 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have a high-end computer system, so I know it's not an hardware issue. Is there any way to make the preview run smoother when adding transitions and PIP layers?? The preview sometimes run ridiculously slow, and at times, stops all together...

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

Btw, my system specs are as follows:

CPU: Core i7 (3.2ghz)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 260 216 cores
RAM: 6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 (on tri-channel)
HDD: 1.2TB (two Western Digital Black Edition on Raid 0)
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe
S/C: Asus Xonar D2X

So yeah, I know it's definitely not my computer...

Got PD 7 ultra and com with cpu 1,80 gigs - I just doubled my RAM to 2 gigs and voila - suddenly crashing and slow editing stopped altogether. Just produced 4,6 GIG DVD with over 2hrs material on it (and on timeline). Compared to my specs u got/should have a Lamborgini.

Few things you can do to make your PC faster to work with PD 7 and AVCHD editing:
1. Move your "My Documents" folder from C where all the edited files and "ghost files" are usually automatically saved to D > check instructions from the web. This allows you to have that over 10 gigs free space on C at all times.

2. Run for example (Free) Ad-aware program for malware, adware & viruses. AVG can't necessarily find the most persistent ones and they can slow your com down by a mile...

3. Shut down all additional programs: CTRL+ALT+DEL and use Task Manager to close useless running programs, even web if you need to work in a rush. If you close web you can also virtually close all the virus programs.

4. If you got a desktop, get additional RAM pin to AT LEAST (in my case) double your speed in editing. 2 of the same family - better TWIN RAM pins.

5. THE BASICS; Defrag and Disc clean up to make your com faster and more stable (go to MY COMPUTER and right click on drive you want to maintenance)

6. In general, keep your project footage to a minimum. Remove all the extra shots from the project library (not from disk) as some shots might be hundreds of MB's or more.

7. For longer productions it makes sense to put the production together from 10 minute or so pieces of clips (merge) as this makes things so much faster than going for big one straight. You can save and open the production with production 2 name and just merge necessary files there (and delete unnecessary). As they are for example WMF. files of big size they still keep your com alive and working.

8. Many times I see this install re-install instruction but if you've worked with PD 7 successfully for a while, use your logic to figure what perimeter has changed after it started to fail...

9. And yes, do shut down your computer or restart it at least every 24hrs as this can truly be one of the slowing causes.

Hope these findings of mine will help some PD 7 users through some pain.

PS. You don't necessary need to add video RAM as RAM should do the job. Video RAM is meant more for video gaming.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2009 16:55