Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Program keeps freezing
Glo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 20, 2019 01:59 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
What do I need to do to increase RAM? If it's not RAM, then why does the program freeze and crash every day I go into edit? I'm on preview quality low and not running any other applications. I'm also on a gaming pc. Can someone please help me with this freezing and crashing issue?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I doubt it's RAM, but by far the best thing you can do is to follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide and run the DxDiag test. Save the results as a text file and attach it here. Also please attach a screenshoit of PD17's About screen or type in the full version level and number you see.
Glo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I doubt it's RAM, but by far the best thing you can do is to follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide and run the DxDiag test. Save the results as a text file and attach it here. Also please attach a screenshoit of PD17's About screen or type in the full version level and number you see.

I've attached the DxDiag test, does this help?
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
100 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, it does. The very end of the report shows the last 10 serious program crashes and they're all PD17. You do have the most recent version installed (3005), so we need to look at 3 other areas of your system.

The first is that you may don't seem to have installed many of the updates that Gigabyte has released for your Z170X-Gaming 3 motherboard.

For example, you have the original BIOS (ver. F7) while the most recent release is F22j. Oftentimes BIOS updates will fix system instabilities and I think it's worth looking at that and all the other drivers available from the support webpage. You're not using the Intel iGPU so you don't need to update the Intel VGA driver unless you want to make sure it's current.

Another issue is that your nVidia driver is over a year old. You should update it to either the very latest Game Driver (released yesterday) or the most recent Studio Driver (released on Sept 17). Either one is fine to use with PD.

Finally, it's probably a good idea to at least check Windows core files for damage, and the two steps shown in bold in this post will only take a few minutes and will be able to find and repair many kinds of damage.

After all that is done, it may still help to uninstall PD17, reboot and then reinstall it. You can leave the personalized settings if prompted, but if you still have issues try uninstalling AND removing those settings.

Please don't start the uninstall unless you have the original installer handy. See this FAQ if you need to get another copy.
Glo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Yes, it does. The very end of the report shows the last 10 serious program crashes and they're all PD17. You do have the most recent version installed (3005), so we need to look at 3 other areas of your system.

The first is that you may don't seem to have installed many of the updates that Gigabyte has released for your Z170X-Gaming 3 motherboard.

For example, you have the original BIOS (ver. F7) while the most recent release is F22j. Oftentimes BIOS updates will fix system instabilities and I think it's worth looking at that and all the other drivers available from the support webpage. You're not using the Intel iGPU so you don't need to update the Intel VGA driver unless you want to make sure it's current.

Another issue is that your nVidia driver is over a year old. You should update it to either the very latest Game Driver (released yesterday) or the most recent Studio Driver (released on Sept 17). Either one is fine to use with PD.

Finally, it's probably a good idea to at least check Windows core files for damage, and the two steps shown in bold in this post will only take a few minutes and will be able to find and repair many kinds of damage.

After all that is done, it may still help to uninstall PD17, reboot and then reinstall it. You can leave the personalized settings if prompted, but if you still have issues try uninstalling AND removing those settings.

Please don't start the uninstall unless you have the original installer handy. See this FAQ if you need to get another copy.

Is this common that I have to update BIOS in order to use this video editing software without it crashing?? Its not a simple procedure and not what I expected when I got PowerDirect. My computer isn't even that old.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Is this common that I have to update BIOS in order to use this video editing software without it crashing?? Its not a simple procedure and not what I expected when I got PowerDirect. My computer isn't even that old.

I don't know how common video editing problems are resolved with BIOS updates. I mostly wanted to point out that your motherboard had the original version installed and there were several updates available. Most seemed to be about fixing various security issues with the CPU but there are usually "system stability" improvements as well.

Also, updating the BIOS on newer systems is nothing like the harrowing experience of the old days. You typically boot from a USB drive with the new BIOS image on it or even download it directly from a tool in the BIOS. It takes about a minute and you're done.

However, if you decide to skip that update, please follow the other steps I've outlined. That way you may not have to deal with the BIOS at all unless you still have a problem with PD.