Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Delete precuts an easy method?
bjtap1 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 19, 2010 21:36 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
I wanted to delete precuts no longer wanted. I tried:

1) Right clicking on the precut and selecting remove from library
2) Right clicking on the precut and selecting remove from custom tag
3) Selecting the precut and pressing the delete button
4) Re precutting the original clip only to find the old precuts remain
5) Changing the name of the original file only to find the precuts remain
6) Reading the manual.
7) Searching the forum.

None of these worked. What finally did was: cutting the original file from the location PD 365 looked for it, when reloading the project told PD to ignore the file, saved the project without reference to the 'missing' file, reopened the project, placed the 'missing file' back in its original location, reloaded it into the project and precut again.

Is this really the method one must use to delete unwanted cuts? Nothing simpler?
Thanks,
Barry
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm glad you managed to get to #6 without an F-word in the step (RTFM )

Fortunately there is a simple way to remove existing precuts, and it's basically your step 4):

Right-click on the already-precut clip in the main library and choose Precut to reopen the tool. You'll see the existing markers on the timeline and the actual precut clips in the Selected Segments window:

Now just right-click on one (or click on the first clip and use Shift+click on the end one to select all clips) and choose Remove Selected from the right-click menu. Click on OK and you're all done!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 29. 2020 00:09

bjtap1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Opto:

Thanks again. I kind of laughed and cried at the same time when I read your response.

I wish I had found that in the manual. It certainly would be a lot easier to just be able to right click on the actual precut and select remove.... and know that the in and out points would be deleted also.

Barry
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Looks like we have similar senses of humor

I think it's worth telling CL about your Help/manual experience and asking that they allow precuts to be deleted as you've written. Use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions to get that info to the right people.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 29. 2020 13:29

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I wanted to delete precuts no longer wanted. I tried:

1) Right clicking on the precut and selecting remove from library
2) Right clicking on the precut and selecting remove from custom tag
3) Selecting the precut and pressing the delete button
4) Re precutting the original clip only to find the old precuts remain
5) Changing the name of the original file only to find the precuts remain
6) Reading the manual.
7) Searching the forum.

Hello,

I feel like I might be missing something here. Your number 1. and 3. work for me every time when deleting precuts. Even in saved projects. I don't think there is a need to re-open the Precut window to delete the precuts from the clip.

Can you confirm that deleting the precuts like seen in the attached image does not work for you? What is the format of the clip you are precutting? Can you try using the same clip as a secondary test if doesn't work on your clip?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
[Thumb - deletingprecuts.jpg]
 Filename
deletingprecuts.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
445 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
optodata
[Post New]
Hmm, that's a good catch. I didn't check OP's steps and instead went to see what I could find that removed the precuts.

Like you, I can use step 1 or 3 and the changes persist even after reloading the project without saving it. They both seem to work as expected and are simpler than my method.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 29. 2020 21:34

bjtap1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I cannot explain it, but I did go back and both methods (1 and 3) did work this time. All I can say is I grew pretty frustrated when neither worked before. (I retested with the same video file). Before, when I tried, 1 and 3 (and the others I tried), did absolutely nothing. The precuts just stayed there.

Hopefully that was a one time fluke because I certainly do like the way we can delete the precut.

Thanks for checking it out.
Barry