Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Issues after update
jbundy8 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 28, 2020 22:07 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am unable to open PhotoDirector since the last update. Is anyone else having the same issue? I have submitted 2 tickets to customer service and have not received a response. I am on a deadline and need to get this fixed ASAP. Any suggestions?
[Post New]
Hello jbundy8,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Can I assume correctly that you're using PhD 365 Version 12? or are you using PhD12 (perpetual licence)?

I've had no such difficulties with either version, but the first thing I'd check is Task Manager [Ctrl+Alt+Delete] to ensure that PhD isn't already running.

Have you restarted your PC since installing?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
In addition to what PIX posted, sometimes PhD has an issue when trying to convert the previous version's database file after an upgrade.

Once you've reinstalled it, instead of launching the app directly, use File Explorer and navigate to the \Pictures\PhotoDirector\11.0 folder where you should see a file with your Windows user name and maybe some other numbers that will end in .phd, like UserName_11.04_1.phd.

Double click on that and see if that will let PhD12 launch.
jbundy8 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 28, 2020 22:07 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you both for the tips. What Optodata posted worked and I was able to open PhotoDirector. Everything seemed fine until I tried to delete a photo. After deleting I received an error stating "file could not be found" with the option to try and find the file. From here I was not able to click on anything and had to use task manager to close the program. Now I am back where I started and unable to open PhotoDirector again. I have tried restarting my computer, but it did not resolve the issue.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There should be other, usually older versions of the .PhD file in nearby folders. You can use the search box in File Explorer if needed.

Once you locate a file, double-click on it as before, but this time, go to File | New Project to start over from scratch. You will have to import your clips again but there may be corruption in the existing databases and this is the surest way to move forward.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I am unable to open PhotoDirector since the last update. Is anyone else having the same issue? I have submitted 2 tickets to customer service and have not received a response. I am on a deadline and need to get this fixed ASAP. Any suggestions?

Have the same issue, after the update some PHD crap, spending many wasted hours trying to fix. I finally saw an error message that just blips for second before it disappears. No response from customer service.
[Thumb - Capture1.JPG]
 Filename
Capture1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
27 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
FIXED
Delete files in C:\users\user\
pictures\photodirector\12.0\user\user.phd

Uninstalll program
It will ask you to keep personal settings
Say hell no!
reinstall

finally works!
Thanks customer service for nothing,
keep up the good work!
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
I am also having this same problem.
Did you reload from a disk or did you have the d/l'd version?
I'm worried if I uninstall the program I may not be able to re-install due to the product key having already been submitted.

Have the same issue, after the update some PHD crap, spending many wasted hours trying to fix. I finally saw an error message that just blips for second before it disappears. No response from customer service.
Aaron Meyer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 14, 2022 11:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
FIXED WITHOUT REINSTALLATION...MAYBE?

I know this is an older conversation, but I just ran into this same problem.

Just to recap, while using opening PhotoDirector 12 (ver. 12.0.2024.0), the program crashed and closed. While reopening my project I got the window which momentarily displays "Cyberlink is checking the project...please wait" and then it quickly disappears, leaving just a blank PhotoDirector window open. I let it sit for several hours and still nothing came up. Had to close it using the Task Manager.

I tried several things without having to uninstall and reinstall. How I finally resolved it was by opening an older version of the project, which forced the window asking me if I wanted to upgrade the project. "Yes" didn't work - same blank screen. "No" asked me if I wanted to create a new project. I said yes, then it brought up the dialog box for me to save a new project. I just kept the default name of "NewProject" and then OK after which it came up with the sidebar and bottom bar for the picture thumbnails.

I went to File > Open Project..., then selected my project I was working on and then it successfully opened the project for me to work on.

I will repost if I have any other problems upon restarting the program. Hopefully this has solved the problem.