Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slow Rendering
Chris_T53 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 05, 2020 05:53 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I have just 'upgraded' and I find that Rendering is slow, it seems to stutter every so often at a reasonable speed but when it gets to about 45 seconds into the video it gets really slow. I've read that video card drivers can play a part in this so I have just rolled back to a June driver for my Nvidia RTX 2060 to no effect. Can anyone shed any light on this or was I stupid to have changed from version 18 due to the carrot of a lifetime license and some dubious improvements?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 24. 2020 04:34

CeriRees [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2011 16:49 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have just 'upgraded' and I find that Rendering is slow, it seems to stutter every so often at a reasonable speed but when it gets to about 45 seconds into the video it gets really slow. I've read that video card drivers can play a part in this so I have just rolled back to a June driver for my Nvidia RTX 2060 to no effect. Can anyone shed any light on this or was I stupid to have changed from version 18 due to the carrot of a lifetime license and some dubious improvements?

Have you used any titling? If so, is it by any chance at about the 45 seconds mark? It is titles that have made PD19 almost unusable for me. I can see when it reaches the titles because it suddenly slows to a crawl.
Chris_T53 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Have you used any titling? If so, is it by any chance at about the 45 seconds mark? It is titles that have made PD19 almost unusable for me. I can see when it reaches the titles because it suddenly slows to a crawl.

Now you mention it yes. It's a film of an original song with rolling lyrics against a number of still images and the rolling text starts at around 45 seconds. Isn't it weird that PD18 copes with it with ease.
CeriRees [Avatar]
[Post New]

Now you mention it yes. It's a film of an original song with rolling lyrics against a number of still images and the rolling text starts at around 45 seconds. Isn't it weird that PD18 copes with it with ease.

Weird indeed. I've been doing many videos like this a week for my work, and suddenly they take so long to edit and render that I've had to find work-arounds with other software. I raised a ticket but got a pretty standard reply.
Chris_T53 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Weird indeed. I've been doing many videos like this a week for my work, and suddenly they take so long to edit and render that I've had to find work-arounds with other software. I raised a ticket but got a pretty standard reply.

Oh dear, I've raised a ticket as well. It doesn't sound promising. Luckily I was able to rescue the video and finish it in PD18 which renders it in a few minutes. It looks as though I am back to PD18 and I have wasted my money.
CeriRees [Avatar]
[Post New]

Oh dear, I've raised a ticket as well. It doesn't sound promising. Luckily I was able to rescue the video and finish it in PD18 which renders it in a few minutes. It looks as though I am back to PD18 and I have wasted my money.

I rendered a 2.5 minute video with titles all the way through and it took 22 minutes and 51 seconds to render at 1080p 30fps. I then replaced the titles with transparent PNGs created elsewhere and it rendered in 38 seconds - and looked just as good.
Chris_T53 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I rendered a 2.5 minute video with titles all the way through and it took 22 minutes and 51 seconds to render at 1080p 30fps. I then replaced the titles with transparent PNGs created elsewhere and it rendered in 38 seconds - and looked just as good.

Hmm, I wonder if there is anything that could do rolling text transparent PNGs.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have just 'upgraded' and I find that Rendering is slow, it seems to stutter every so often at a reasonable speed but when it gets to about 45 seconds into the video it gets really slow. I've read that video card drivers can play a part in this so I have just rolled back to a June driver for my Nvidia RTX 2060 to no effect. Can anyone shed any light on this or was I stupid to have changed from version 18 due to the carrot of a lifetime license and some dubious improvements?

Hello Chris_T53,

If you are still experiencing this issue in a project in PowerDirector 19, can you please do this:

1. Open the project in PowerDirector 19.

2. Go to the "File" menu in the edit window and then select "Pack Project Materials".

3. Save the packed project on your desktop.

4. Upload the packed project to Google Drive or some other cloud sharing service.

5. Reply back with the link to download the project.

We'd like to send the project to CyberLink for testing. Can you also tell us your CS ticket so we can pass that along for reference as well.

Let us know
Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 25. 2020 05:05

Chris_T53 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hello Chris_T53,

If you are still experiencing this issue in a project in PowerDirector 19, can you please do this:

1. Open the project in PowerDirector 19.

2. Go to the "File" menu in the edit window and then select "Pack Project Materials".

3. Save the packed project on your desktop.

4. Upload the packed project to Google Drive or some other cloud sharing service.

5. Reply back with the link to download the project.

We'd like to send the project to CyberLink for testing. Can you also tell us your CS ticket so we can pass that along for reference as well.

Let us know
Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thanks very much
The CS Ticket is CS002226329
and the link is
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/icpc4kp6mlv2fjb/AAC0tYTyEI98KZ-UVXnXn6Sga?dl=0
Chris_T53 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've just had the useless standard reply to my ticket as well. I explained that I had tried an older video driver because of their programme and they tell me my driver is out of date as though I have said nothing. These are just standard replies and Cyberlink is just another in that long line of companies who don't actually read what the customer has written.

The standard reply tells me to turn off my anti-virus. So PD19 can't run with an anti virus programme and PD18 can?

Do I have to jump through more hoops or is my project going to be passed on to them?

I'm pretty sick of this already.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 26. 2020 04:33

Chris_T53 [Avatar]
[Post New]
After having some food and calming down a bit I have replied to their ticket response and sent them the link to the project.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 25. 2020 14:26

jk100 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 17, 2020 12:46 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I, too, am having this exact same issue. I used to produce a video in 3 - 5 minutes that is now taking me nearly 20 for the same video since the update. Is there any way to go back to the previous version if I have the 365 subscription. I do not see a download available for PD 18. Obviously, this is a problem with the new update and not any one specific project. They did send my a whole list of things they needed...the usual baloney...but I am unable to get all of that done due to shoulder surgery. Obviously, this is a problem they need to fix with the update.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is there any way to go back to the previous version if I have the 365 subscription. I do not see a download available for PD 18.

Not unless you made a system image of your C: drive before updating. If you did you can go back and choose not to update, otherwise you'll need to ask customer service to provide you with a PD18 installer.

Also please know that any projects you've created or saved in PD19 cannot be opened if you reinstall PD18.

The biggest issue I've seen so far is with trying to produce videos with scrolling titles, like in this discussion and the one outlined here. Since it may be days or weeks before an update is released, the cleanest option would be to not use scrolling titles if at all possible.

If they are needed, it may be easier on everyone's sanity to disable the title tracks and produce the rest of the project first to confirm that you've got everything else looking the way you want, then add the titles to the produced clip and let PD produce it when you go out to dinner or sleep, like in the old days when running overnight was more or less expected.

This is certainly not an acceptable situation, but overall I think it's on the lower end of problems as far as 2020 is concerned.
jk100 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 17, 2020 12:46 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, this is what I did and it seemed to help dramatically. I uninstalled the original download for the 365 suscription update for PD 19. Then, I reinstalled it. It seems to have dramatically increased my rendering speed. Perhaps the original download was corrupted. You may want to try this.
Chris_T53 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Ok, this is what I did and it seemed to help dramatically. I uninstalled the original download for the 365 suscription update for PD 19. Then, I reinstalled it. It seems to have dramatically increased my rendering speed. Perhaps the original download was corrupted. You may want to try this.

I don't have the 365 version but downloading a fresh version of PD19 and uninstalling my existing PD19 and reinstalling it has made no difference to me at all. It still renders slowly if there is any text and more so if there is scrolling text. If I render the same film without text of any kind it will do it in about 1 minute 20 seconds whereas with text it's over 15 minutes. I am using PD18 again at the moment which works fine.

Cyberlink definitely have a problem. I just hope that they acknowledge it and fix it!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2020 05:53

BRUNO T. [Avatar]
Member Location: France Joined: May 06, 2016 06:15 Messages: 61 Offline
[Post New]
Dears,

Im using PD since 3 years now. SUbscription and just update to 19.

There are some huge differences in rendering movie, depending on
GPU usage. Globally when using titles I found 19 to be slower than 18,
but as I no linger have access to 18 (subs. upgrade...), I don't kown
about the factor...

I have a I7 8700k @ 4.7 GHz, Nvidia GTX 960

Just to give an idea/benchmarks on clips rendering with titles:

a 18 sec clip + a title with the same length + music clip same lenth

just rendering the clip+music to title, SVRT available: redering time: 1 sec

with a a title from "minimal titles pack", SVRT not available, Material encoding: rendering time 9 sec , average GPU load 45%

with a title from "Broadcast pack", SVRT not available, Material encoding: rendering time 39 sec , average GPU load 5%

with simple scrolling title, SVRT not available, Material encoding: rendering time 1min 5 sec , average GPU load 5%

very good results with "social netw title" pack, as the "minimal titles pack"

very good results with "Graphical animation" pack, as the "minimal titles pack"

bad results with "Tut creation" pack as "Broadcast pack"

bad results with "Music festival" pack as "Broadcast pack"

As you can see, some huges differences... so try the titles working
the best ... but we should have in 2020, far better and homogeneous
perf. across any titles with full GPU support !!!!

I will mail this to CB, and check their answer...(certainely ask me
for tons of files as I previously did for a crash issue, for a poor
answer..)
bruno
Chris_T53 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Dears,

Im using PD since 3 years now. SUbscription and just update to 19.

There are some huge differences in rendering movie, depending on
GPU usage. Globally when using titles I found 19 to be slower than 18,
but as I no linger have access to 18 (subs. upgrade...), I don't kown
about the factor...

I have a I7 8700k @ 4.7 GHz, Nvidia GTX 960

Just to give an idea/benchmarks on clips rendering with titles:

a 18 sec clip + a title with the same length + music clip same lenth

just rendering the clip+music to title, SVRT available: redering time: 1 sec

with a a title from "minimal titles pack", SVRT not available, Material encoding: rendering time 9 sec , average GPU load 45%

with a title from "Broadcast pack", SVRT not available, Material encoding: rendering time 39 sec , average GPU load 5%

with simple scrolling title, SVRT not available, Material encoding: rendering time 1min 5 sec , average GPU load 5%

very good results with "social netw title" pack, as the "minimal titles pack"

very good results with "Graphical animation" pack, as the "minimal titles pack"

bad results with "Tut creation" pack as "Broadcast pack"

bad results with "Music festival" pack as "Broadcast pack"

As you can see, some huges differences... so try the titles working
the best ... but we should have in 2020, far better and homogeneous
perf. across any titles with full GPU support !!!!

I will mail this to CB, and check their answer...(certainely ask me
for tons of files as I previously did for a crash issue, for a poor
answer..)
bruno

So far I am getting poor answers from them as well. Telling me to change the driver for my video card which is less than a month old. It made no difference. Giving me a link to update an Intel driver that my computer refused saying it was not validated for my machine. Not very impressed with them trying shift the blame when PD18 works perfectly and PD19 takes twice as long to render anything with scrolling text in it.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Tech support was able to replicate the issue with the terrible producing performance when using scrolling titles described in the other thread, and I hope that their testing will also uncover the root cause(s) of the kinds of issues reported here.
lefticus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 26, 2016 11:37 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Tech support was able to replicate the issue with the terrible producing performance when using scrolling titles described in the other thread, and I hope that their testing will also uncover the root cause(s) of the kinds of issues reported here.

After reading the many forum posts here and getting the same useless "update your drivers" message from support... well, it was time for my 365 subscription to renew anyhow. I had been using PD since 2016 with PD14. But I let my subscription expire and am trying different tools.

Scrolling text was a critical part of my workflow for the videos I produce.
optodata
[Post New]
I think there's a grace period where you're allowed to use the app on some level without renewing, so that might be an option to see if the issue with your projects are fixed when they release the next update.