Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Moving clip auto selects top layer instead
Xiantayne [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2020 14:39 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to resize and move a clip but whenever I select the + icon on screen to move the clip, PowerDirector 19 autoselects the topmost layer instead. I can't get my clips to move unless I disable the topmost layer, but I need that in order to see where I'm moving the other layer to.

This has got to either be some new bug or a new setting in PD19?

[EDIT: Added Screenshot]
[Thumb - MovingClip.jpg]
 Filename
MovingClip.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
95 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19. 2020 17:05

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm trying to resize and move a clip but whenever I select the + icon on screen to move the clip, ...

Are you using PD19 or the mobile app? I'm not aware of any "+" icon related to selecting or moving clips, but PD19 is so new that it would really help if you took a screenshot or made a screen recording showing what you're seeing.

Save the screenshot as a JPG or PNG then use the Attachments button below the forum text box to share it here. If you make a screen recording, upload it to YouTube or Googe Drive/Photos and paste the link to it here.
Xiantayne [Avatar]
[Post New]

Are you using PD19 or the mobile app? I'm not aware of any "+" icon related to selecting or moving clips, but PD19 is so new that it would really help if you took a screenshot or made a screen recording showing what you're seeing.

Save the screenshot as a JPG or PNG then use the Attachments button below the forum text box to share it here. If you make a screen recording, upload it to YouTube or Googe Drive/Photos and paste the link to it here.

I added a screenshot to the original question. Sorry for not doing that to make my question clearer. The + on the clip isn't new to PD19.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Oh, you're using Express Projects or one of the designer tools, like Video Collage or Theme Designer, right? Again, the more info you can provide the easier it's going to be to get help.

I assumed you were talking about the main timeline editor, and unfortunately I don't use any of those modules so I may not the best resource for your issue. However, if you can share what module you're in and which template you're using, then other members may be able to assist.
Xiantayne [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Oh, you're using Express Projects or one of the designer tools, like Video Collage or Theme Designer, right? Again, the more info you can provide the easier it's going to be to get help.

I assumed you were talking about the main timeline editor, and unfortunately I don't use any of those modules so I may not the best resource for your issue. However, if you can share what module you're in and which template you're using, then other members may be able to assist.

I don't know what Video Collage or Theme Designer is. I'm using PD19. I've attached another screenshot of the application. The selected clip has been resized and placed where I need it to be. Normally, I can just select any of the clips, and I get the + icon in the center of the preview window, which allows me to move the clip anywhere on screen. In the new PD19, however, when I click and hold on the + to move the clip, PD19 automatically selects the topmost layer instead of the layer I selected. This never happened before PD19. I'm supposed to be able to move the clip I've selected.
[Thumb - PD19.jpg]
 Filename
PD19.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
885 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for posting the full view! Now I can finally see that you're working in the full editor and trying to move objects on the preview screen.

I've tried this out on a project with 3 overlaid clips: Track 1 is the full screen background and the clips on tracks 2 and 3 are smaller windows overlaid "on top" of the full screen clip.

I can click on either the track 2 or track 3 clip on the timeline or directly on them in the preview window as you've done, and I can then move the clip anywhere on the preview screen. I also don't have to click on the "+" at all. Maybe you can try clicking elsewhere on your problem clip and see if things work differently for you.

The only behavior I see that doesn't seem right is when I click on the track 1 clip and try to move it by dragging the "+" At that point the track 2 clip gets selected and the background clip doesn't move at all. If I click on the same clip and drag it without using the "+" it works normally.

As far as i can tell, the only time the selection "+" doesn't work properly is if it's a background clip but there's a clip on a lower track positioned "in front" of the marker. See if what I'm doing in this screen recording is different from what you're seeing:

As a workaround, you will always have full control of the selected clip if you open it directly in the PiP Designer. Double clicking on it will bring you straight there.
Xiantayne [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's a video showing exactly what I'm experiencing. It doesn't matter what layer I select, as soon as I click on it do do anything, PD19 automatically selects the topmost layer (in this video it's layer 4). If I select layer 1, 2, or 3, and click on them to move them, layer 4 is automatically selected again and I can't move the layer I want.

The only workaround I found was to either lock the topmost layer, or turn it off, neither of which should be a necessity. Locking the layer also automatically moves me back to the beginning of the timeline which is also not ideal for any situation.

I also noticed in your sample, that you're selecting the layers by clicking in the preview window. That doesn't work for me at all. Clicking in the preview window doesn't do anything for me. I have to select the layer itself first.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19. 2020 21:54

optodata
[Post New]
Wow, that's a very different experience than what I had. Can you check and see if enabling or disabling OpenCL under Preferences | Hardware Acceleration makes any difference?

I'm also wondering if you's be comfortable sharing your project here, as sometimes issues are caused by specific clips or edits in the PDS file. If you'd like to do that, use Pack Project Materials under the File menu and save everything to a publicly accessable cloud folder on Google Drive or OneDrive and paste the link to it here.

Another question is whether you created this project from scratch in PD19 or if this project was started in PD18. One thing you can try is to use Ctrl+A to select everything on the timeline and copy it, then use File | New Workspace (don't save any changes to the original project) and paste everything on the clean timeline.

Save the new project and close PD, then open it up again and see if the behavior is any different.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19. 2020 22:10

Xiantayne [Avatar]
[Post New]
This happens in any project I start in PD19. It's not just this project at all. Everything was started from scratch in PD19 and I've done several videos already since upgrading, all of which act the exact same way. I'll try the option you suggested and let you know if anything changes.

But, yeah, it's strange that we both have completely different experiences with the same product...
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
I can't tell if this is designed behaviour or not, but I would not have spotted it. This is because whenever I do anything like this to specific clips I always go into the PIP designer (double click on the clip.

I can then resize, move or rotate the clip as I wish.

I wonder if what you're seeing is a consequence of the changes to the anchor points.

Like @Optodata, I can move clips without using the plus sign. Though I can use that if the top layer is moved sufficiently that it no longer obscures the plus sign of the layer below.

I suggest that as a workaround, that you use the PIP designer. This will give you what you want and you won't have to lock any tracks.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This happens in any project I start in PD19. It's not just this project at all. Everything was started from scratch in PD19 and I've done several videos already since upgrading, all of which act the exact same way. I'll try the option you suggested and let you know if anything changes.

But, yeah, it's strange that we both have completely different experiences with the same product...

Hi,

Can I hazard a guess that you have a transparent overlay on T4 over the full screen??

The reason is this:
It seems that, in a region that several clips overlay each other, no matter which lower precedent track is selected on the timeline and therefore activated in the preview window, then the click and drag process immediately activates the top track, not the "lower" track.

In a region where only 1 track is present (or the selected track takes precedence in that region) then the click and drag works as expected.

An easy demo of the principle is done with 4 overlapped color boards. In a region where only 1 board is present, click and drag works, in a region of overlap the higher precedence track takes over.

It seems to be the same in PDR 365 18.6.3.3120.0 and in my current PDR 365 Business 19.0.2104.0

If that isn't the reason, then I can't duplicate your problem and, if no-one else can, then CS/TSmight be your preferred route?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
[Thumb - Overlapping regions.PNG]
 Filename
Overlapping regions.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2020 08:30

Xiantayne [Avatar]
[Post New]
You guessed right! Yes, the 4th layer is a transparent overlay over the whole screen.

This problem I'm having only started with the upgrade to PD19 the other day. Before this, I never had a problem with the layer selection changing after clicking on the screen. Why would this behaviour change with the new version?
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You guessed right! Yes, the 4th layer is a transparent overlay over the whole screen.

This problem I'm having only started with the upgrade to PD19 the other day. Before this, I never had a problem with the layer selection changing after clicking on the screen. Why would this behaviour change with the new version?

Hi,

I can't say. But the same principle does apply to PDR 365 18.6.3.3120.0 as tested on my laptop system, so I would have to say that on my systems there is no change in selection behaviour between the two.

As Optodata suggests, maybe if you can share the relevant part of your timeline as a packed .pds, then others will be able to test and confirm or not?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
Xiantayne [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's a link to a project that acts the exact same way. It doesn't matter what layer I make active, as soon as I click the preview window, the topmost layer gets selected.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao6ZGgSr0V-j1JYy4q1FmsC5UEK_iA?e=x0Bbb8
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks very much for sharing this new project. I see some of what you're talking about due to there being more than one object with overlaid selection points (Intro Video Overlay and Background Image), but I can still select and move two other objects freely at any time.

Also if I move either of the clips on the first 2 tracks away from the center of the screen, I can select the other one:

[Post New]
Quote Here's a link to a project that acts the exact same way. It doesn't matter what layer I make active, as soon as I click the preview window, the topmost layer gets selected.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao6ZGgSr0V-j1JYy4q1FmsC5UEK_iA?e=x0Bbb8

Hi,

The selection works as normal.

The key is to appreciate how the different overlays actually work.

For example:
T5 Logo starts off full screen then moves and shrinks to top left.
Set scrubber at 5 frame mark which is still full screen for T5.
Select background T1 on the timeline.

Click to move the background and T5 Logo is activated, because it covers the screen and takes precedence.

Later on, with scrubber @2.00 (with T3 turned off/disabled)
Select background T1 on the timeline (as before)
Background can be selected and moved as normal

UNLESS the click and drag is in the region covered by the (now) smaller T5 Logo somewhere around top left. If so then that region makes T5 take precedence.

So if all the timelines are all full screen, you cannot select a lower number track on the timeline and then click and drag on the preview screen to move that clip as, in effect, you are then overriding the previous selection and selecting the layer with the highest precedence.

In your demo, the Banner on T3 is a full screen .png and therefore blocks access to T2 and T1 by the click and drag method.

Hope that helps,
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2020 15:39

Xiantayne [Avatar]
[Post New]
I would wholeheartedly disagree with your statement that "The selection works as normal." There is nothing normal about a layer-based application defaulting to the topmost layer when working on the canvas. Additionally, this was never the case before now. Over the past 3 months I have created well over 50 new videos, none of which behaved in this manner, until the PD 365 upgrade this week.

Imagine this behaviour working in something like Photoshop or Illustrator. Imagine only being able to select and move the topmost layer when working on a canvas. This just isn't how layer-based programs work.

Bottom line, I've been a user of PowerDirector since version 14 and this is a bug introduced in PD19 that was not present in any of the previous versions.
optodata
[Post New]
I think we're talking about possibly two different issues. No one is disputing that you're seeing different behavior than before. The problem seems to be that PDM and I aren't able to replicate that.

Maybe we can take a step back and try this a little differently. I can restore a system image that has PD18 on my desktop and can test out one of your projects that was created in PD18. It's important to have a PD18 project that hasn't been loaded/saved in PD19 because then only PD19 can open it.

Since you'll need to use PD19 to pack the project, you'll have to manually copy the original PD18 PDS file to the packed folder so it can be opened with PD18 and PD19.

Ideally you'd also make a quick video showing how you're not able to do things in PD19 with this specific project, and then we can do the exact same steps in both PD18 and PD19 to see what differences there are. We can them submit all of this testing to tech support so they'll have a clear picture of what's happening.
Xiantayne [Avatar]
[Post New]
Unfortunately I don't have PD18 anymore since my subscription automatically upgraded me to PD19.

PDM was able to replicate the issues I'm seeing and explained that it was because one layer was completely obsuring another (such as my full screen transparent PNG file). What I'm saying is that this is not the way a layer-based application should work. It doesn't matter what's on top of what. If I've specifically selected a layer, that is the ONLY layer the application should respond to when I click on it, regardless of where it is in the project layers.

I truly believe this is a bug in the new software. The best I can do is demonstrate using a much older version of PD. I have PD15 installed on another laptop from an old purchase before I upgraded to 365.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Unfortunately I don't have PD18 anymore since my subscription automatically upgraded me to PD19.

I understand that, which is why I wrote out the specific steps to pack an older project in PD19 and then overwite the newly created PDS file with the original one from PD18.

I'd like to work specifically with your projects so it's a true apples to apples comparison from PD18 to PD19, but I can only do that if you're willing to share an older project.