Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Unexpected effect using the (blur) effect
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Playing with the blur effect a bit for a question in this forum, I bumped into an effect of using the blur effect that puzzled me:

1. load a video clip;

2. assign the blur effect to that clip; the clip will be blurred;

3. then open the mask designer and apply the (new) custom selection mask;

4. after OK the mask does not show in the preview screen;

5. if you switch off the blur; the mask will be revealed;

6. if you have the blur mask in combination with another effect, depending on the order of the effects, the mask will be visible or not

When I use one of the predefined masks in step 3 above, this mask will show as expected.
I expect that this behavior has to do with the fact that the blur effect also uses masking and that the custom made masker does not completely behave like the predefined masks (yet?).
Maybe it is meant to be, maybe not. I wonder whether you have the same observations.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I always use the standard Blur FX with it's internal mask, but when I try your steps on my desktop and Surface Book 3 machines things seem to work normally:

Did I miss anything when trying to recreate what you saw?

On my SB3, there was a noticeable lag after clicking OK and leaving the mask designer and it took a couple of seconds for the mask to be applied in the preview window. I wonder if it was just a stale preview frame on your end, and maybe clicking on another section of the clip or clicking play would resolve it?

There's still this preview issue on my SB3. Do you see active, vibrant previews for all kinds of FX on your machine? I'd like to figure out why this one machine doesn't work properly.
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for looking at this Optodata.

You almost followed all steps as described. However, like I experience and have noted, the pre-defined masks even when the user changes them, are working ok.
It is (only) the new customer selection mask that does give this unexpected result for me. See my video.

I have also noticed the brief hesitation (by lack of a better word) before the preview screens show the clip.

I wonder whether you have the same results as I have.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Got it! I clearly see the issue in your video, and I guess I just skipped through the "apply the (new) custom selection mask" part. Oops!

However, when I try those exact steps on my desktop PC, I still see everything work as expected, and changing which FX are enabled doesn't affect the mask at all:

However, I do see the problem on my Surface Book 3, and it doesn't matter whether I've set it to use Quick Sync or my nVidia GPU. Clicking to another location on the clip or clicking play don't change the appearance, so this is a legitimate issue (at least on certain machines)

I'm curious to see if you could check the FX as I showed in my linked post above. I suspect that some will be blank for you, but either way we'll have more data.
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm curious to see if you could check the FX as I showed in my linked post above. I suspect that some will be blank for you, but either way we'll have more data.

Well, I indeed did replay your examples and they work for me as shown in your video.

Triggered by your: it works on the desktop but not on the Surface Book 3, I retried my video with UNTAGGING in the preferences, hardware Acceleration, the enable the openCL technology.
With the tag ON, the effect shows as in my video, with the tag OFF the expected result appears. My conclusion is that since this tag is specially to speed up the effects in the preview window, that there is some wrong with the coding of this new custom selection tool.
I did not try producing the the clip with the blur yet, But I would expect that the effect will work fine there.

What do you think, would the moderator already have seen this and tell it to the developers, or should we write CL ourselves?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 18. 2020 15:50

optodata
[Post New]
Quote What do you think, would the moderator already have seen this and tell it to the developers, or should we write CL ourselves?

The answer is definitely Open CL. Hardware decoding doesn't matter, but as soon as I checked Open CL on my desktop the problem appeared. Disabling Open CL on my SB3 also solved the problem, but it's unrelated to the previewing issue from the other thread.

As you've made the crucial discovery, I think you should have the "honor" of reporting it directly to tech support as that's the best way to get them involved. If you include a link to this discussion, I think it's a pretty open-and-shut case.

I'd say it's a job well done, Detective Warry!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2020 16:12