Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Retrieve My Projects
Brian108 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 30, 2018 04:41 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
A gentle request that the button 'Retrieve My Projects' is moved (in the next upgrade perhaps) from its present position to deep in the Menu system somewhere. Who needs it? I have made one hundred plus projects increasing every week and pressing that button accidentally leaves me somewhat pained as I can't seem to cancel the request and end up waiting around for an unnecessary amount of wasted time. It can still be available for those who look back, just not in plain sight, please. If I really do need to go back to some old project I can always find the folder and use the execution file. A gentle request .
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry Brian,
You will notice that Cyberlink tells us that developers do not read this Forum (it would be a good idea that they did, because it reflects a bit of what it is it keeps the community busy :-), so the suggestion is that you use the "rate us and provide suggestions" option in the File menu, to bring this suggestion to the developers.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 13. 2020 06:59

Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote A gentle request that the button 'Retrieve My Projects' is moved (in the next upgrade perhaps) from its present position to deep in the Menu system somewhere. Who needs it? I have made one hundred plus projects increasing every week and pressing that button accidentally leaves me somewhat pained as I can't seem to cancel the request and end up waiting around for an unnecessary amount of wasted time. It can still be available for those who look back, just not in plain sight, please. If I really do need to go back to some old project I can always find the folder and use the execution file. A gentle request .

When this feature was first added I must have hit the wrong icon at least 6 or 7 times. It would be nice if this option was added to the File menu. When you make your suggestion using the program by going to "File > Rate Us & Send Feedback" be as specific as possible. If you want it added to the File Menu or you want the icon moved to the bottom, be sure to write that. Good luck.
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
I didn't even know that this button was there until I read this thread!

I only have a few projects, so it doesn't trouble me too much. However, I can see the issue if you have loads of projects.

I think putting it in the file menu is the best option.
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
I have done some experimentations and I wonder whether you also see the same “unexpected” behavior with this “My Projects” tab:
Within the projects folder I have the habit of using sub folders in which I story (and retrieve) the current projects. I mostly use the open project and save project menu options, and PD always has remembered the latest project folder I used so I was always directed to the latest unless I changed to a new folder.

The My projects tab however points to the projects directory and I see the following unexpected things:

• The projects are loaded when opening the my projects tab. Only those projects that are in the folder and have been saved in that folder are displayed;
    If I reopen the tab there is no obvious rescanning of the projects folder.

• If I add projects (from my sub-folders) into the main directory, these projects are not displayed when opening the “my projects” tab, even not after closing and reopening PD.

• Moreover, some projects added to that main folder, are removed by PD for a reason I have not found out yet. (It is a good thing that I copied the project files .pds in their and did not move them).

• If I move the displayed projects out of the main folder, they will not be displayed when opening the My projects tab These removed projects do not re-appear when I move them back into the main folder.

• When I change the project folder into one of my sub folders, The opening of the project tab still only displays the project in the main folder. PD seems to ignore the project folder from the preferences in tab case.

• Even when I save a new project into any folder, that project is not always displayed in My projects.

• Also if I move the new project to the main project folder, this new project is not displayed.

• Projects that are opened get a place in the my projects tab display and are remembers the next time PD starts, irrespective where they sit. And even when the project or folder name are changed.

• Although in that case the renames project or project in a renames folder will not be displayed after the restart of PD.

My conclusion is that the ”my projects“ tab is unreliable and in this implementation not practical.
PD seems to only remember the projects that are saved into the projects folder. Likely it keeps a “my project list” somewhere in which projects are listed/maintained that some way or the other comply to unknown conditions, like saved in the main folder?….

And that PD does not use the project folder setting for displaying the projects in the my projects tab? And once removed from the folder, always removed, unless re-oped.
Next to the “many projects” problem indicated this unexpected behavior of the display when hitting the my projects tab, encourages me to keep using the open project and save project.[/list]

Maliek’s problem of the many projects and the endless time it takes to display them can somewhat be resolved by moving the project folder in subfolders as I did (in some logic way so that they ca be found back, no need to tell an expert like Maliek that) these projects will not display unless and until they are reopened …
I am wondering whether you see the same, and may have found clever ways to bypass this issue, like I have. I had a (quick) look at the manual, but could not find any hints there.

I am tempted to make some effort in writing a suggestion to Cyberlink with the “expected” behavior for this my project thing, including a way to stop the loading of course.

Looking forward to seeing your experiences, before I do so.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 14. 2020 12:51

Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
This topic caught my interest.
But poking around in the UI for PD18 Ultimate, meaning: move the mouse to hover over every icon there is when a UI opens, read the label. And there isn't one for the function in the topic title: so, what button for "retrieve my projects" are you talking about??
I have my preferences set to open the last project used, and if I want to use another one I go to the file menu and choose one from recent projects in that list. And whilst initially it was just a small list, it's growing; my main concern about it has become is how to limit it (to say the 10 most recently used projects??)
In terms of projects, I use folders in the main explorer drives/folders rather than any setting in the program.
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote This topic caught my interest.
But poking around in the UI for PD18 Ultimate, meaning: move the mouse to hover over every icon there is when a UI opens, read the label. And there isn't one for the function in the topic title: so, what button for "retrieve my projects" are you talking about??

In the latest version of PD (mine is 18.6.3120.0) in the list of socalled "rooms" on the top hand left, the secord button is the projects button, with the My projects first. As soon as you press that (room-) button, PD starts looking for and loading projects. If you have many it will take some time, and there is no option to stop that.
The work around, as I stated might be to move projects to subfolders, so that PD ignores them. A better solution is to have that button somewhere stored away so that it can only be pressed when you want to. Also, see my remarks, it would be good to finetune the functionality of this option....
[Thumb - New Untitled Project 15-09-20 090238.bmp.jpg]
 Filename
New Untitled Project 15-09-20 090238.bmp.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
22 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Sep 15. 2020 03:31

Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Several responses here . .
1. you are using a different version to me. My up-to-date ultimate is18.0.2725.0, whereas yours is I suspect the 365 version. And the images of/where to find 'my projects' appears to differ in each one.
2. using your response as a hint, I found it - 2 ways
a. method 1
open a new project with the media content room selected but empty

• click on the list box at the top of the explorer panel labelled 'media content'.

• the drop down list has "my projects" 2nd from the bottom

• click on my projects and the message "retrieving my projects" is temporarily displayed until thumbnails of those projects are displayed in the explorer panel.

b. method 2

• open a new project, explorer panel blank but with media content room selected

• click on the right-arrow labelled 'Display/Hide explorer view' right alongside the Transition room icon in the left tool bar.

• This gives an explorer-like breakdown of the list box items, with my projects near the bottom

• click on my projects and the related thumbnails appear in the explorer pane. Screenshot attached.

The variance between versions means that there really isn't an accidentally clickable icon on the main UI for 'my projects' (which is IMHO the inference of the initial topic statement), it's already in a list that takes positive actions to find and execute.
[Thumb - My projects.jpg]
 Filename
My projects.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2020 07:20

Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks!
Indeed I have an 365 version. I would expect that the changes applied during the release of the 18 version, might be in the soon to be expected 19 release?
And indeed, the my projects menu option in your version leads to less accidental clicking.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote A gentle request that the button 'Retrieve My Projects' is moved (in the next upgrade perhaps) from its present position to deep in the Menu system somewhere. Who needs it? I have made one hundred plus projects increasing every week and pressing that button accidentally leaves me somewhat pained as I can't seem to cancel the request and end up waiting around for an unnecessary amount of wasted time. It can still be available for those who look back, just not in plain sight, please. If I really do need to go back to some old project I can always find the folder and use the execution file. A gentle request .

Hi,

As far as I am aware, the My Projects library is populated by those projects that have been "Saved" (in one form or another). This information is retained and updated as PDR exits (although I haven't tested other possibilities exhaustively).

The My Projects library is just that - a library - and the projects that appear in it can be deleted from the library, but remain on the HDD - as with other libraries.

Any project deleted from the library is also deleted from the retained info and not re-loaded on the next launch, but the actual .pds file remains at whatever system location it is at.

So, for those who want to avoid a long wait after accidentally activating the Project Room, and don't need the My Projects library, wait until it is fully populated, select all and then delete. That should empty the Library, empty the retained info and avoid the problem - until it builds up again!

This functionality also allows the My Project library to be selectivley "edited" to just retain projects that are needed - perhaps by way of "housekeeping", so to speak.

There is a little more complexity in certain scenarios, but this is the core of the function as it pertains to the issue raised.

Before carrying out a wholesale library delete as above, I would recommend using one or more test projects to verify the functionality on the system in question, as I can only test on my own systems.

Hope this helps.
PowerDirector Moderator
Johndoc1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 06, 2018 17:58 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
The right answer is one of the following:

1. Hide this button or at least provide the option to hide it.

2. Provide the option to move the useless 'Project Room' to the bottom of Rooms toolbar (i.e. below subtitles). Even better, allow the option to completely reorder the Rooms bar so different editor can have the tools they prefer readily available.

I NEVER use this button, but I do occasionally click it by mistake. Enormous and extremely annoying waste of time. Even worse, it sits in a prominent position just below the Media Room where it can be easily mis-clicked.

IMHO, the suggestion to delete the library is a particularly customer-ignorant suggestion. Fix your software!

John

Hi,

As far as I am aware, the My Projects library is populated by those projects that have been "Saved" (in one form or another). This information is retained and updated as PDR exits (although I haven't tested other possibilities exhaustively).

The My Projects library is just that - a library - and the projects that appear in it can be deleted from the library, but remain on the HDD - as with other libraries.

Any project deleted from the library is also deleted from the retained info and not re-loaded on the next launch, but the actual .pds file remains at whatever system location it is at.

So, for those who want to avoid a long wait after accidentally activating the Project Room, and don't need the My Projects library, wait until it is fully populated, select all and then delete. That should empty the Library, empty the retained info and avoid the problem - until it builds up again!

This functionality also allows the My Project library to be selectivley "edited" to just retain projects that are needed - perhaps by way of "housekeeping", so to speak.

There is a little more complexity in certain scenarios, but this is the core of the function as it pertains to the issue raised.

Before carrying out a wholesale library delete as above, I would recommend using one or more test projects to verify the functionality on the system in question, as I can only test on my own systems.

Hope this helps.
PowerDirector Moderator