Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't record microphone in SR4
Gil82 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 10, 2012 21:11 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought and downloaded Screen Recorder 4 today and I hit a snag right out of the box. The program does not seem to be able to record the audio from my microphone. It records system sounds just fine.

AFAIK I have all the settings correctly configured; Under settings/Audio I have my microphone selected, and the audio volume meter shows audio is being heard. On the Screen Recorder screen, the microphone is selected and the volume meter shows audio.

But when I hit record and start speaking into the microphone, nothing is recorded from the mike although the volume meter continues to show that audio is present.

My old SR 2 seems to be able to record audio from the microphone just fine, as well as other programs. Just for some reason SR 4 doesn't pick it up.

Has anyone else had this issue, and does anyone know what can be done to fix it?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
How are you checking the audio in the recorded clip? is there any chance that the player you're using is muted?

You can use MediaInfo to see the audio details in the MP4 recording, or import it into PowerDirector (if you have it) and right-click on the clip in the library or on the timeline to see its properties.
Gil82 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote How are you checking the audio in the recorded clip? is there any chance that the player you're using is muted?

You can use MediaInfo to see the audio details in the MP4 recording, or import it into PowerDirector (if you have it) and right-click on the clip in the library or on the timeline to see its properties.

I had checked it only by listening to the audio, but that is a good idea about using PowerDirector to check it. I pulled one of the test videos I recorded in PowerDirector, and then opened the audio from it in the Audio Editor, and got this result:

Screen Recorder 4 Audio

The blip at the end was a System ding when the volume of the system is changed. The rest of the audio is at a zero level when the microphone audio was input.

Gil
Gil82 [Avatar]
[Post New]
For what it's worth I took this shot of the Screen Recorder while recording the video test. See it here:

Audio Is Detected

You can see that microphone audio is being detected within SR4. It's just not being included in the recording.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Fascinating. Those screenshots and your troubleshooting steps help a lot.

What does your Audio Preferences panel look like? On my desktop I don't have any mics so I can't show it configured correctly but I'd like to see how yours is set up:

Gil82 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Fascinating. Those screenshots and your troubleshooting steps help a lot.

What does your Audio Preferences panel look like?

Like this during my test. I'm not sure what "Input device" does, but I've had that both on and off without making any difference.

Note again that the audiometer shows that audio is detected from the microphone.

Preferences

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 08. 2020 19:40

optodata
[Post New]
Your answer is sitting right there at the upper right part of the page: You have the system audio/mic balance (Mix) set all the way to system volume only. Set it in the middle like in my screenshot and you'll be all set

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 08. 2020 19:48

Gil82 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay! I figured it out. It seems pretty lame now, but it wasn't obvious before.

While reviewing these messages I happened to notice a not-to-obvious control called "Mix" Under Audio setup. Mine was set like this:

Mix

I guess having all the audio on the right side left none for the microphone.

foot-in-mouth
Gil82 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Your answer is sitting right there at the upper right part of the page: You have the system audio/mic balance (Mix) set all the way to system volume only. Set it in the middle like in my screenshot and you'll be all set

Yep! I just saw that. Amazing.
Reviled_Cadaver [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 22, 2019 05:34 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Your answer is sitting right there at the upper right part of the page: You have the system audio/mic balance (Mix) set all the way to system volume only. Set it in the middle like in my screenshot and you'll be all set

Thank you for posting this. I had exactly the same problem and for some reason I had taken "Mix" as "Microphone Volume".
Steven6832 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2022 03:26 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you had the same problem, it's a lillte inconspicous this and hope in later releases cyberlink make it a little more obvious, but alas its a resolution and works now we know about it
Ellymoo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 17, 2019 03:32 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Several years later this helped me hugely too! I had set the audio to "microphone" for some reason rather than "USB". Thank you!