Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Multi Exposure in Photo Merge
CJA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 01, 2012 18:46 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I have tried to use Multi Exposure in the Photo Merge Section but I always get the message during the target selection that the box is too large I need to reduce it. I have tried every size imaginable on different photos but always get the same message. Any ideas please?
[Post New]
Hello CJA,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

On the few occasions I've used the Multi-Exposure feature, I've come across the same issues. I'm afraid I've not persisted long enough to have ever resolved the cause.

One one attempt, I was prompted to select the object/subject in each of the photos (not just the background photo), but that failed to result in a true multi-exposure image. I've lost track of how many times I've read the Help file to check what I may have missed!

Perhaps, if you were able to upload your selected photos to Google Drive, One Drive etc. we could work through it together. Other members might contribute their experience & lead us to a happy outcome!

One thing I suspect is an issue with photos I've tried to merge is that the camera was panning to follow the subject, resulting in a slightly changing background.

On the face of it, you'd expect a series of photos like this (with such basic composition) to merge seamlessly. I haven't conquered it yet.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't used the feature but I imagine it requires a fairly steady background.

That's easy to see in the tutorial video where the camera was stationary, but the help page states that the first picture (which is used to set the background) doesn't have to have the subject in it. It also states that panning is allowed, so it may depend on the specifics of the photos you're trying to merge.

As PIX said, sharing the photos in question would let us at least try a team effort.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
optodata,

Thank you for adding your voice to help resolve CJA's issue.

Since I posted earlier, I've had some reasonable success with shots where the camera was static (no panning, zooming or "dollying"). As shown in the tutorial you linked, I've extracted frames from static shot videos where the background remains steady.

In this testing, at no time has PhD given alerts about changing frame selection sizes or any of the other issues experienced earlier.

When I have something useful to share, I'll post further.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
justis123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 16, 2020 10:30 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, thank you for your answers it helped me a lot

SHAREit MX Player

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2020 05:59

CJA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 01, 2012 18:46 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for your assistance.

In the end I used Background Removal and Photo Composer to create the effect I was after and this worked well as it has done previously.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's a clever workaround. Thanks for sharing how you got it done!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 31. 2020 13:39