Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to Zoom in on a persons face and follow it in powerdirector 365
pokerdad [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2020 22:38 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
My daughter is making a vlog. She had video of her grandmother coming down a waterslide. She would like to zoom in on her face and follow it as she is entering the pool. She looks pretty scared. We have been trying to motion track, then zoom in, but we can't get it to work. Is that the right way to do it? Thank a ton for any help! We love powerdirector. She tried most of them as trials. Thank you

Edit: So we did get it to work with zooming, then adding keyframes, and moving the zoom to follow. It works. But I figure it should work using motion tracking.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 27. 2020 22:40

Rob365 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 23, 2020 21:36 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm really new to PowerDirector, but here's the link that will explain it to you.

Happy editing!

https://youtu.be/vC3xF3-V6wA
pokerdad [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2020 22:38 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, I'm really new to PowerDirector, but here's the link that will explain it to you.

Happy editing!

https://youtu.be/vC3xF3-V6wA

Thanks for that.I kinda figured out the motion tracker. But I wanted to zoom in around where the motion is being tracked.
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
It is probably easier to use the Magnifier from the Effect room (FX) and use keyframes to keep up with the target. It advantage is that you have full control over size, rate, etc. The disadvatage is that you have to "track" the target yourselve.
Have a look at an example that might give you an idea on how to handle this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aDm--aPcjg
Have fun!
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My daughter is making a vlog. She had video of her grandmother coming down a waterslide. She would like to zoom in on her face and follow it as she is entering the pool. She looks pretty scared. We have been trying to motion track, then zoom in, but we can't get it to work. Is that the right way to do it? Thank a ton for any help! We love powerdirector. She tried most of them as trials. Thank you

Edit: So we did get it to work with zooming, then adding keyframes, and moving the zoom to follow. It works. But I figure it should work using motion tracking.

Beside the recommendation that Warry provided you can also use the Pip Designer. You will have to manually keyframe the scale, and position (x & Y) parameters to follow the object and zoom in. It will take mre work but it will get you whee you want to be.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day pokerdad -

"Motion Tracking" sounds like what you want, but it's not the right PDR tool for your needs. What Motion Tracking does is track where the subject is moving within the frame, with the frame remaining constant.

What you're trying to do is change the frame i.e. you want the subject (grandmother) to remain at the centre of the frame (zoomed in) throughout the clip.

One of the best ways to achieve that is what you've already tried - using the Crop & Zoom tool. Like Maliek's suggestion of using PiP Designer, it takes a lot of keyframing etc.

Here's an example screen capture I did a few years back. The process hasn't changed much.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!