Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector10
nathcc1971 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2012 20:10 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I bought the CD for this version years ago and used it on a tower, now I have an all-in-one screen computer and thus cannot use the CD. I still have the CD-Key and SN number, what should I do?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
More than likely your all in one is a new computer with windows 10. PD10 is not win 10 compatible. Downloading the latest version as a trial would be the best thing to do. You could buy an external dvd drive for your future needs and to try PD10 on it.
nathcc1971 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote More than likely your all in one is a new computer with windows 10. PD10 is not win 10 compatible. Downloading the latest version as a trial would be the best thing to do. You could buy an external dvd drive for your future needs and to try PD10 on it.

Thanks. It shouldn't be the case that they don't match, yes I have Win10.
If I get an external disk drive and upload it, or try the trial version, will I be able to run the cd-key and sn number?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 27. 2020 11:28

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
You can install the PD10 and enter the CD-key to be able to activate it online. The trial version of PD18 cannot be updated to a full version as it is a limited 30 day use with a watermark. You can buy new versions every year if you want.
nathcc1971 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You can install the PD10 and enter the CD-key to be able to activate it online. The trial version of PD18 cannot be updated to a full version as it is a limited 30 day use with a watermark. You can buy new versions every year if you want.

Would save buying an external disk drive if I can download PD10
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
If you still have that old tower pc or any pc with an optical drive then you can copy all the contents of that disc to a usb flash drive. You can then install PD10 from the flash drive and save money so you don’t need to buy an external dvd drive.
nathcc1971 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you still have that old tower pc or any pc with an optical drive then you can copy all the contents of that disc to a usb flash drive. You can then install PD10 from the flash drive and save money so you don’t need tobuy an external dvd drive.

I have an external drive and copied it to that, doesn't seem to work. Tried linking the 2 computers with a usb cable but they didn't recognize each other. Tomorrow I'm going to call NASA. I don't even need the PD for any regular stuff, but when you've forked out for it... It's really slow on the old PC so this new one is much better for video editing.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Did you check to see if any files on the disc are greater than 4 GB in size. If they are then they won’t be copied with the FAT 32 format. You need to format it correctly for it to work if needed.
nathcc1971 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Did you check to see if any files on the disc are greater than 4 GB in size. If they are then they won’t be copied with the FAT 32 format. You need to format it correctly for it to work if needed.

The whole thing including some editing is 747MB.

Obviously I emailed Cyberlink, Can't copy paste here... but they said they no longer offer support and that 10 is outdated.

That's customer service - deadbeats. So anyone buying 18 now, in 5 years or so it will be obsolete, and you have to buy another one...
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

..................Obviously I emailed Cyberlink, Can't copy paste here... but they said they no longer offer support and that 10 is outdated.

That's customer service - deadbeats. So anyone buying 18 now, in 5 years or so it will be obsolete, and you have to buy another one...

Hi,

Can't really let that one go.

PDR10 is nearly 9 versions ago and there is generally a reasonable time limit on supporting older software - even Microsoft stopped support for Win7 OS after 10 years!

You have the original software on the original media and you had some use from it on your tower system, now you have a system that cannot use your original media, because it doesn't have the necessary hardware.

So far, I cannot see where CL Support has a role.

However, I presume you might have asked them for a download facility to get over the necessity of you having to buy an external optical drive. That is fair enough, but if the answer is "....they no longer offer support and that 10 is outdated" Then that is what it is, and that avenue is unfortunately closed to you.

I can't say I see that as a deadbeat service? It may not be to your liking but I would hold it is a reasonable position to take in today's world.

To get around having to buy an external drive there are a number of possible workarounds and I am sure members will join tomasc and chime in with suggestions to save you having to invest in an optical drive.

PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
nathcc1971 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,

Can't really let that one go.

PDR10 is nearly 9 versions ago and there is generally a reasonable time limit on supporting older software - even Microsoft stopped support for Win7 OS after 10 years!

You have the original software on the original media and you had some use from it on your tower system, now you have a system that cannot use your original media, because it doesn't have the necessary hardware.

So far, I cannot see where CL Support has a role.

However, I presume you might have asked them for a download facility to get over the necessity of you having to buy an external optical drive. That is fair enough, but if the answer is "....they no longer offer support and that 10 is outdated" Then that is what it is, and that avenue is unfortunately closed to you.

I can't say I see that as a deadbeat service? It may not be to your liking but I would hold it is a reasonable position to take in today's world.

To get around having to buy an external drive there are a number of possible workarounds and I am sure members will join tomasc and chime in with suggestions to save you having to invest in an optical drive.

PowerDirector Moderator

I'm puzzled why you think I'm asking you to offer me software support for pd10...

Is there a download facility? Could you use your elevated position to find out for me? This scenario would make perfect sense as I won't be buying the latest pd version, but if I was helped out to upload it to my new pc, it would be a positive move forward.

What are the number of possible workarounds? I would much rather buy an external disk drive than the latest pd.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote What are the number of possible workarounds? I would much rather buy an external disk drive than the latest pd.

You never indicated what didn't work, other than "copied it to that, doesn't seem to work." Can you elaborate on what you actually did and what didn't work?

But yes, your options are numerous
1) Transfer on a usb stick
2) Transfer on a hard disk
3) Transfer to cloud based google drive, dropbox, or one of the many similar options and download on your new computer
4) Connect computers with ethernet cable (not USB) and share after appropriate communication configuration
5) Since computers on the same network, share a folder between computers
6) Use Windows 10 nearby sharing feature

So yes, many options perhaps.

I'm a little surprised on your 747 MB for entire PD10, mine comes in at 2.08GB for install and both content packs I and II, pic attached.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD10_Install.PNG]
 Filename
PD10_Install.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
nathcc1971 [Avatar]
[Post New]

You never indicated what didn't work, other than "copied it to that, doesn't seem to work." Can you elaborate on what you actually did and what didn't work?

But yes, your options are numerous
1) Transfer on a usb stick
2) Transfer on a hard disk
3) Transfer to cloud based google drive, dropbox, or one of the many similar options and download on your new computer
4) Connect computers with ethernet cable (not USB) and share after appropriate communication configuration
5) Since computers on the same network, share a folder between computers
6) Use Windows 10 nearby sharing feature

So yes, many options perhaps.

I'm a little surprised on your 747 MB for entire PD10, mine comes in at 2.08GB for install and both content packs I and II, pic attached.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes sure. I copied the files via an external drive, from the old computer, onto the new one, but it didn't load PD10. I then tried the launcher, it got to 100% but froze.

I shall try the ethernet cable. Not sure how to do 6.

Perhaps my old vista computer was only able to collect certain files from the pd disk and that's why it's not 2gb?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff, yes sure. I copied the files via an external drive, from the old computer, onto the new one, but it didn't load PD10. I then tried the launcher, it got to 100% but froze.

What files, a few specifics would help.

Did you:
1) insert the old PD10 DVD into your old computer
2) copy entire DVD contents to new folder on your external hard disk
3) verify DVD file contents with copied external drive file contents, same overall size, same number of files
4) perform PD10 software install on new computer by launching install executable and entering license code

Attach a pic showing the contents of the DVD and the contents on your external hard disk copy folder so one can see what you are working with.

It's not that one approach will work and another won't, they are all viable so trying another is of no real value. Probably better isolating what you did try and why it didn't work.

Jeff
nathcc1971 [Avatar]
[Post New]

What files, a few specifics would help.

Did you:
1) insert the old PD10 DVD into your old computer
2) copy entire DVD contents to new folder on your external hard disk
3) verify DVD file contents with copied external drive file contents, same overall size, same number of files
4) perform PD10 software install on new computer by launching install executable and entering license code

Attach a pic showing the contents of the DVD and the contents on your external hard disk copy folder so one can see what you are working with.

It's not that one approach will work and another won't, they are all viable so trying another is of no real value. Probably better isolating what you did try and why it didn't work.

Jeff

I did 1 and 2.
Not sure what 3 or 4 is, but I copied the file contents onto new pc and then tried to launch them as if using the DVD.
The contents are the same. I'll attach by phone.
nathcc1971 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried uploading the pictures but an error 504 content something came up. Deadbeat Cyberlink seems more appropriate than ever.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I tried uploading the pictures but an error 504 content something came up. Deadbeat Cyberlink seems more appropriate than ever.

The forum servers are not real friendly to very large attachments. Sounds like maybe a high res pic from your phone. Just do a simple computer screen capture, save as png, and attach, that should work fine. If a large attachment, one needs to share via google drive, dropbox,... or the like to save yourself some frustration.

Jeff
nathcc1971 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The servers are not friendly...
[Thumb - DP1.png]
 Filename
DP1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
75 Kbytes