Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Stitch two photos side by side
Milkman1066 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 25, 2020 03:14 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Can anyone please tell me how can put 2 photos of slightly different sizes next to each other and create a single photo that I can trim back to a rectangular dimension. I can't use the panorama feature as the photos are of different things. The composer option seems to only let me put it over the top not to the side.
Cheers.
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,
Can anyone please tell me how can put 2 photos of slightly different sizes next to each other and create a single photo that I can trim back to a rectangular dimension. I can't use the panorama feature as the photos are of different things. The composer option seems to only let me put it over the top not to the side.
Cheers.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?
[Thumb - Composite 2-1.jpg]
 Filename
Composite 2-1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
812 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
You may consider trying the layer editing features in photodirector.

1. Create an empty project in the PhotoDirector > Edit room.
(The new version of photodirector supports the feature of creating a photo from scratch using the layer features)

2. It requires you to define the final output resolution of your artwork in advance.
3. Put the photos you would like to "stitch" on the canvas.
4. Save the edited result as a new photo.

See if you can achieve your goal by the above.
[Post New]
Hello Milkman1066,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum

Philwild, I think that's exactly what is required. It could be done in PowerDirector, as suggested by PowerDirector Tutorials, but I'd be concerned about loss of resolution when a snapshot is taken.

[Edit: what QC2.0 said!]

What has been described can be easily achieve in the Edit (Layers) module of PhotoDirector. For the sake of simplicity, let's say the two photos are 4000x3000. To sit side by side, you'd need a canvas of 8000x3000, so:

► Deselect all photos in the Library (Edit > Deselect All or Ctrl+D)
► Open the Edit module
► Choose Create Empty Project

► Enter the size of the canvas (8000x3000)
► Add Photo layer

► Add the first photo and position/resize on canvas
► Add the second photo and position/resize on canvas
► Modify either photo by clicking/selecting and adjusting
► When you're happy, use the crop tool (right side panel)
► Use Save As to export your composite photo

If a screen capture would help, I'm happy to provide that (unless other contributors want to jump in).

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 25. 2020 06:26

PIX YouTube channel
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Pix,

I did a very similar process to you, but yours is much simpler.
[Post New]
Here's an annotated screen capture, showing the steps taken.

The two original photos were 4288x2848 & 3867x2175. They were combined on a 8155x2848 canvas & the final composite photo is 8168x2714 after cropping.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 25. 2020 21:04

PIX YouTube channel
Milkman1066 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, this is the kind of thing I wanted to do. I should have stated also that I'm working in Photodirector 11.
All I seem to be able to do is squash the 2 photos in to the dimensions of the original photo, I'm not able to add the second photo and increase the dimensions.

Any ideas?

TIA

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?
Milkman1066 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you so much, especially PIX and QC2.0. You've solved my problem.

Cheers!