Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Mysterious Green Line in Timeline ruler
Rob365 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 23, 2020 21:36 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all, when editing video, I noticed a thin Green Line indicator that is specifically within the timeline ruler portion. I have no idea what this line is for, and it is driving me crazy. I have seen it shown in the CyberLink online description of the timeline ruler but I have no way of figuring out what it is. It has just appeared in random locations within the ruler. I have searched many keywords throughout the user guide, but to no avail. If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated! I have attached an image of the offending line!
[Thumb - 20200823_161501.jpg]
 Filename
20200823_161501.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3968 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
77 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's the pre-rendered section indication. It means you used Render Preview at some point and PD is showing you where those sections are currently located on your timeline. Pre-rendering is meant to speed up the preview performance and generally is harmless and you don't need to do anything about it.

Sometimes, however, the cached (pre-rendered) versions can interfere with more recent edits you've made, and the best thing to do is to delete the temp files.

Under the Settings menu, use the Manually Delete button and select all temporary clips, delete them, and then create a new project and exit PD. This will ensure that none of your current projects will be in use when you restart PD. Now launch PD again, and make sure that there are no more temp files, then reopen your project, and the green line should be completely gone.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Rob365 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That's the pre-rendered section indication. It means you used Render Preview at some point and PD is showing you where those sections are currently located on your timeline. Pre-rendering is meant to speed up the preview performance and generally is harmless and you don't need to do anything about it.

Sometimes, however, the cached (pre-rendered) versions can interfere with more recent edits you've made, and the best thing to do is to delete the temp files.

Under the Settings menu, use the Manually Delete button and select all temporary clips, delete them, and then create a new project and exit PD. This will ensure that none of your current projects will be in use when you restart PD. Now launch PD again, and make sure that there are no more temp files, then reopen your project, and the green line should be completely gone.

Thank you very much for the explanation! It makes some sense now, the green lines appeared after the movie stalled during preview. Thanks again!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You might be working with 4K clips and trying to preview them in Ultra UHD resolution. Lower that to Full HD or simply HD and you'll speed up the previewing performance and prevent the pre-rendering from happening at all.
Rob365 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You might be working with 4K clips and trying to preview them in Ultra UHD resolution. Lower that to Full HD or simply HD and you'll speed up the previewing performance and prevent the pre-rendering from happening at all.

Thanks! I recorded the original clips using the fhd setting on my Samsung Note 9. I do have PD set up to create Shadow files. Are you suggesting that I lower the preview resolution somehow? If so, how would I go about that?
optodata
[Post New]
We're talking about different things.

FHD is 1920x1080 pixels, while 4K is 3940x2160, and you shouldn't need to use shadow files with FHD source clips unless you have a very old PC. I thought you might be working with 4K source clips and PD is known to force you into pre-rendering the timeline when trying to preview in Ultra HD resolution.

What I suggested was to reduce the preview resolution for the timeline, and the user guide is the best place to finds answers for how to do that. Here's the page for Preview Resolution.
Rob365 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote We're talking about different things.

FHD is 1920x1080 pixels, while 4K is 3940x2160, and you shouldn't need to use shadow files with FHD source clips unless you have a very old PC. I thought you might be working with 4K source clips and PD is known to force you into pre-rendering the timeline when trying to preview in Ultra HD resolution.

What I suggested was to reduce the preview resolution for the timeline, and the user guide is the best place to finds answers for how to do that. Here's the page for Preview Resolution.

Thanks for the info! I am totally new to PowerDirector and just starting to get things figured out. Your help is appreciated! I have a Surface Pro 7 with 8GB memory, probably not the best computer for video editing, but it seems to work okay for the most part...
optodata
[Post New]
I used a Surface Pro 3 (with an i7 CPU) for years as my portable editing PC.

Your SP7 will work just fine with the FHD clips straight from your Samsung Note 9, so go ahead and turn off shadow files and use Full HD preview resolution for editing. Reduce it to HD if you notice any lagging when previewing complex edits in your project.
FlyBlue [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 17, 2020 12:53 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Same thing. I am working on a complex project depicting various yachts for sale in California. Suddenly, the green bar shows up, The preview starts sputtering and the the screen casts a white shade over my project and a Windows Msg appears, stating something to the affect program stopped responding, close or wait for system to respond. The later is my choice and nothing happens. I guess it crashed! That is where I am at now. I have not yet saved the last few additions I made to the project. If I close it, can I retrieve my latest through PD auto save feature? How do I check that?

Thanks much!

I should note that Power Director has crashed several times in the middle of putting projects together over the at least 10 + years that I have been using the program. I have a very powerful and capable PC so that is not the issue.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 12. 2023 15:33

optodata
[Post New]
This post shows where to find and set the auto save location