Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Not connected
Steveinid [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2020 16:03 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I just recently got the Powerdirector subscription and have used it to edit and produce a video... with background music downloaded through powerdirector. Now I'm editing another video and when i click on the Background Music tab I get a pop up window that says "You are not currently connected to the internet". I ensured that I am connected by loading my browser and visiting several different webpages. Also, my internet connection icon shows an active connection. I have restarted my computer and connected to the internet and restarted the program. It still doesn't recognize the connection and I get the pop up again.

Anybody run into this? Did I forget to do something? Not sure what is happening.

Thank You
Steve
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are many, many discussions already on the forum and there isn't any universal answer.

Sometimes there's an issue with the CL server (or with Shutterstock's when trying to access their content) but usually it's an issue with the user's computer. I just checked and I can access all background music tracks, so it isn't a server issue this time.

See this very insightful thread posted yesterday, and if that doesn't help, search the forum for connected internet and see if anything suggested in those posts help at all.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2020 20:09

Steveinid [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2020 16:03 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There are many, many discussions already on the forum and there isn't any universal answer.

Sometimes there's an issue with the CL server (or with Shutterstock's when trying to access their content) but usually it's an issue with the user's computer. I just checked and I can access all background music tracks, so it isn't a server issue this time.

See this very insightful thread posted yesterday, and if that doesn't help, search the forum for connected internet and see if anything suggested in those posts help at all.

I did a cursery search and didn't see anything... either way it went away.

In edit mode I noticed that the files weren't showing so I clicked on the publish button and then clicked on the edit button and all my files returned. I then clicked on background music and suddenly it worked. So. We'll see if it keeps.
stephen92 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 20, 2020 19:15 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem. Can't seem to get rid of it despite following the other thread as well as the solution in this one. Any other ideas? I've also uninstalled everything and reinstalled it. I can download music packs just fine from the application manager. It works on my other computer just fine.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sometimes it's an antivirus program, sometimes its Windows or 3rd party firewall, sometimes it helps to make IE the default browser, sometimes it's the Hosts file...

One thing you can try is monitoring the network traffic as described here. See what the difference is between the working PC and the other one.
stephen92 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for getting back with me. I should have mentioned that it appears everything related to PD is getting out of the network and communicating with the server without any trouble. For a time, I completely disabled my antivirus and firewall (Windows defender/firewall) and still had no luck. Also made sure Windows 10 was 100% up to date. These computers are as identical as I can make them. Setting IE to default browser did not help either. As far as the hosts issue, is that the one where if cyberlink is in the hosts file, you delete it? If so, I had no reference of cyberlink in the host file.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2020 07:48

optodata
[Post New]
Looks like you're now down to checking the network connections and getting direct help from CL tech support. Hopefully one of those options will help solve the mystery.
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
My two cents:
PD stores the audio clip files in c:\Users\Public\Cyberlink\Downloaded Audio\
In that directory you will find a number of folders. It looks like a folder is created as soon as you play a sample and/or downloaded the clip. In each of the folders there is a .m4a file (with the tag preview in the file name), and an .mp3 file (after you have downloaded the clip).
So, PD will obviously download the files in order to play them, but thereafter apparently stores them for later. You will need an internet connection, (and the Cyberlink server will have to respond), and you need to have access to the folders in User\public…. As in the above. My assumption is that when there is no connection and/or no download because of any other type of error occurs including not being able to access or create a folder, the “Not connected to internet” message is displayed.
I would also assume that at PD installation time AND at installation of any of the audio (video etc) Packs via the Application Manager the above-mentioned folders will be accessed too. So, there were either error messages or something with the folders and/or folder access may have happened after the installation and the moment of the editing of your other video.
Maybe this helps finding any differences between your 2 systems (you say you are running PD on 2 different but identical systems?) that may cause the No Internet connection message.
stephen92 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote My two cents:
PD stores the audio clip files in c:\Users\Public\Cyberlink\Downloaded Audio\
In that directory you will find a number of folders. It looks like a folder is created as soon as you play a sample and/or downloaded the clip. In each of the folders there is a .m4a file (with the tag preview in the file name), and an .mp3 file (after you have downloaded the clip).
So, PD will obviously download the files in order to play them, but thereafter apparently stores them for later. You will need an internet connection, (and the Cyberlink server will have to respond), and you need to have access to the folders in User\public…. As in the above. My assumption is that when there is no connection and/or no download because of any other type of error occurs including not being able to access or create a folder, the “Not connected to internet” message is displayed.
I would also assume that at PD installation time AND at installation of any of the audio (video etc) Packs via the Application Manager the above-mentioned folders will be accessed too. So, there were either error messages or something with the folders and/or folder access may have happened after the installation and the moment of the editing of your other video.
Maybe this helps finding any differences between your 2 systems (you say you are running PD on 2 different but identical systems?) that may cause the No Internet connection message.

Thanks to both of you for working on this. I sent off my first reply to CL support just now - so I'm sure I'll hear back on Monday.

The two systems aren't identical - minor hardware differences (or I'd use the other one instead of dealing with this headache). But they are as close software wise as they can be. Both Nvidia GPUs, intel processors, same motherboard brands, same Windows 10 updates, etc. To make sure it wasn't a license activation issue, I uninstalled it from one computer before testing it on the other.

I looked at the Cyberlink\Downloaded Audio folders, and it is adding them there without a problem whenever I download something from the Application Manager. Maybe you are right and it is a problem accessing it via power director.

I also seem to be able to use Shutterstock within PD just fine. It's just getting access to those packs provided by CL.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2020 18:48

[Post New]
I'm having the same problem, but it only occurs when I go to "Sound Clips".
[Post New]
Quote I'm having the same problem, but it only occurs when I go to "Sound Clips".

Further information...

+ The message occurs when selecting Sound Clips or Background Music
+ Clearing the cloud cache makes no difference
+ Rebooting makes no difference
+ Starting a new project makes no difference
+ On day-1 of a project I was able to add sound clips. Continuing the project on day-2 I get the attached message. The only thing that happened between day-1 and day-2 was the PC was rebooted.

Has anybody reported this issue to Cyberlink problem reporting?
[Thumb - notconnected.png]
 Filename
notconnected.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Has anybody reported this issue to Cyberlink problem reporting?

Yes, user Stephen92 said that he did in the post just before your first post.

As mentioned earlier, there are many possible reasons for this problem and I think it's best if everyone who's having trouble contacts CL tech support directly. Posting back here with things that were checked would be useful, and especially anything that seemed to get the error messages to stop.

I just checked again, and I don't have any problems on my two PD365 systems when previewing or downloading background music or sound clips. Clearly CL's servers are working and the system is working for most people, so it's the specifics for each affected user that need to be examined and diagnosed with CL tech support's help.
[Post New]
Quote Yes, user Stephen92 said that he did in the post just before your first post.

I'll submit a ticket.

I forgot to say (as it goes without saying) that my browser and email work, and I can get to templates from within PD.
[Post New]
Ticket ID: CS002212076 Ticket Status: Open Related Product: PowerDirector
Subject: PD says not connected to internet
Your Inquiry2020/08/26 13:20
I'm getting a not connected to the internet message when I attempt to get sound clips or background music. I was able to get sound clips on day-1 of project, but on day-2 started getting error message on the same project. Attached is the message. + The message occurs when selecting Sound Clips or Background Music + Clearing the cloud cache makes no difference + Rebooting makes no difference + Starting a new project makes no difference + On day-1 of a project I was able to add sound clips. Continuing the project on day-2 I get the attached message. The only thing that happened between day-1 and day-2 was the PC was rebooted. + My browser and email work, and can get to templates from within PD. + PD 17 - 3005
IFlyEm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2020 20:31 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Any fixes? I am having the same issue.
[Post New]
Quote Any fixes? I am having the same issue.

No resolution that I'm aware of. No response to the trouble ticket I opened.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

No resolution that I'm aware of. No response to the trouble ticket I opened.

Hello,

We sent your ticket ID number to CL and were told that they responded to you the next day requesting more information, and you never replied. Please check if you missed the response and provide the requested info if you can.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator