Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Videos Times Two
IanG [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 04, 2017 11:48 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
I'm certain I have seen a PD15 tutorial for this - I just can't find it now though.

I am trying to display two different videos (16:9) on the screen at the same time with nothing cropped from either.

Can someone put me out of my misery and remind me how it's done please?

Thank you,

Ian
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Two different ways: Enable grid lines. Highlight and Resize the video on track 2 and reposition it. Next, do the same with the video on track1.

Another way. Highlight the video on track 2. Use PiP designer/Object settings/Uncheck Maintain aspect ratio. Enable grid lines. Resize the video on track 2 horizontally to half size with the white balls at the edge. Click OK. Do the same for the video on track 1 to cover the other half of the screen.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 17. 2020 11:51

IanG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tomasc,

Thanks for coming to my rescue - yet again.

It may be I am trying to achieve the unachievable, for neither of your suggestions provide a solution.

Your first leaves me with correctly proportioned videos, but occupying only two quarters of the screen.

The second gives me two (squashed/stretched) out of proportion videos, although admiitedly occupying the full screen width.

Any ideas for the perfectly viewable first suggestion with the screen occupation of the second idea? --- Or just tell me I'm crazy and I'll go away.

Regards,

Ian
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Try this: Reduce the opacity of the video on track 2 to say something like 50%. That should work. You can see both videos full screen at the same time...
IanG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tomasc,

Sorry but that just doesn't provide the clarity required.

However, I have discovered a piece of software which allows the simultaneous playing of two videos side-by-side.

If I can get it to achieve a synchronised start, I shall run the programme and capture it using PD Screen Recorder after which, hopefully, I should able to edit it as a full screen-size video.

Best regards,

Ian
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm certain I have seen a PD15 tutorial for this - I just can't find it now though.

I am trying to display two different videos (16:9) on the screen at the same time with nothing cropped from either.

You have to deal with a simple geometry issue: To display two 16:9 clips in a single 16:9 frame, you either have to reduce each clip in size by 1/2, which will allow them to fit side by side (or one above the other) but will leave the other 1/2 of the viewing area blank; or you have to change the proportion of the videos to compress one axis by 50% while leaving the other untouched so the two clips take up the full frame. I can't hink of any other choices for viewing the full content of both clips with both of them the same size.

If you reduce the clip sizes by half, you can add 2 more clips to make a full screen 2x2 grid or you can add a background color, image or video to fill the unused parts of the screen.

You already stated that you don't want to crop either clip, but you could use picture-in-picture to overlay one of the clips in a smaller window on top of the other one. You can even swap of grow/reduce the windows if you want to highlight the content in different clips at different times.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 17. 2020 13:49

IanG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi optodata,

Thanks for y our constructive and logical solution.

However, as y ou will see from an earlier post, I am now experimenting with a piece of software which appears to solve the problem without too much fuss.

Thanks again,

Ian
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I saw that post, but you didn't provide many details and I think it'd be interesting to have an example of what it does. A screenshot or link to the app's website would be very helpful if anyone else runs into the same situation down the road.
IanG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi optodata,

I didn't leave details as I do not like submitting info about untested/untried software.

As it happens I have discovered a second programme but, programme 1 has a synchronisation problem and 2 an output resolution problem.

I have submitted questions to the relevant Tech Supports and, if the problems can be resolved, will let you and others have details accordingly.

Ian
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Tomasc,

Sorry but that just doesn't provide the clarity required.

However, I have discovered a piece of software which allows the simultaneous playing of two videos side-by-side.

If I can get it to achieve a synchronised start, I shall run the programme and capture it using PD Screen Recorder after which, hopefully, I should able to edit it as a full screen-size video.

Best regards,

Ian

Hi,

If you want to just play two or more individual videos side by side (or in another configuration) and then just capture your screen with ScreenRecorder for later editing, then VLC will do that with no issues.

I've not tested the current version so with that in mind, VLC can be configured to play videos in multiple individual players, with each player individually controlled, or it may be used for two simultaneous videos playing but with only a single control.

Does that help at all?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator.

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
IanG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PD Moderator,

I am using the most recent version of VLC (3.0.11) but can't see any way to achieve what you say.

I have asked a question on the VLC Forum, so will wait for advice.

I would prefer to use VLC as it is a brilliant piece of software in many respects.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Ian
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi PD Moderator,

I am using the most recent version of VLC (3.0.11) but can't see any way to achieve what you say.

I have asked a question on the VLC Forum, so will wait for advice.

I would prefer to use VLC as it is a brilliant piece of software in many respects.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Ian

Hi,

https://www.vlchelp.com/enable-disable-multiple-instances/
https://www.vlchelp.com/how-to-open-two-videos-side-by-side/

I haven't finished testing but the simultaneous play with one control bar doesn't seem to operate as it did in earlier versions. The two seperate players works fine.

If you then minimise the interface and place them side by side it makes it a little easier.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2020 11:41

- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
IanG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Thanks for the links.

This is beginning to look good, although if it comes down to having two instances of VLC playing, the problem of getting both videos to start at precisely the same time will be an issue.

Thanks anyway.

I'll let you know what the Forum have to say.

Ian
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Thanks for the links.

This is beginning to look good, although if it comes down to having two instances of VLC playing, the problem of getting both videos to start at precisely the same time will be an issue.

Thanks anyway.

I'll let you know what the Forum have to say.

Ian

Hi,

VLC 2.2.8 does the one control bar, two videos OK but I can't get 3.xx to do it so far.

Here's a quick and dirty capture to show.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
 Filename
side by side 1.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2237 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
134 time(s)

IanG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Brilliant.

I shall play around with this for a while as I am currently getting one screen seriously misaligned with the other (not as you have managed in the download) then I think I shall be in a position to proceed.

Very many thanks to you for all your efforts.

Ian
IanG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know I've sorted out the screen misalignment problem and am pleased to say --- your suggestion of VLC is perfect.

I am grateful to you for your help.

Thank you,

Ian