Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is it possible to go back after making an ISO file - after deleting project?
keefy [Avatar]
Member Location: Isle of Wight Joined: Aug 19, 2008 09:20 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Forum

Over many years, I have made 50+ Hi Def Bluray discs of between 30 to 60 minutes in length, (incl. music, titles, maps etc.) of our travels around the world. I have discovered that the shorter ones can be burnt (as a ISO file) at the highest quality, copied to a BluRay disc, and that they will play on my Sony player (as a well as my computer).

The longer ones, I usually have to reduce the quality MPEG2 Hi Def because, although they still play on the computer, the picture often stutters on Bluray player play back - I assume because its processor cannot buffer the data quickly enough. (I could well be wrong and stand to be corrected). These discs do actually play successfully on my quality Windows 10 desktop computer (Power DVD)

On a recent 60 minute project, I burnt it at the higher quality level by mistake, and did not check the Bluray disc on my player before deleting the project, and have subsequently found that the disc will not play on my BluRay player. The ISO file of the project and the BluRay disc both play perfectly on the computer, and I was wondering if it was possible to 'reverse process' the rendering to get the project back to AVI status so that I could import the project (as one block) back into Power Director and re render it to the lower MPEG2 HiDef quality that should play on my Bluray player.

I hope you can understand my problem. It breaks my heart after putting in so many hours work, that I am unable to play it on to my TV via my Sony BluRay player.

I have tried using a media file converter program without success.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Keith
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You can't reverse the process and recover the raw input files again. You can mount the iso, pull off the finished video files, and use those in a new PD project to burn as desired or you could also pull them off a burned BD disc. You will have to recreate menu structure if you had one and chapters.

I really doubt the longer or shorter finished duration affecting playback, something obviously is as you experience it, but I doubt its finished duration and buffering.

Jeff
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You can't reverse the process and recover the raw input files again. You can mount the iso, pull off the finished video files, and use those in a new PD project to burn as desired or you could also pull them off a burned BD disc. You will have to recreate menu structure if you had one and chapters.

I really doubt the longer or shorter finished duration affecting playback, something obviously is as you experience it, but I doubt its finished duration and buffering.

Jeff

Thank you very much for your response. I am familiar with playing the ISO file on Power DVD, but how should I 'pull them off', and what would I do with them? It would not take me too long to reconstitute my menu pages.

I suspect you are correct about my diagnoses - about why I get stuttering on the video (whilst the sound plays on) on my Sony Bluray player, but over the years, I have tried numerous options to resolve it, and reducing the H264 to MPEG2 has been the only thing that has worked for me on the longer projects.

Cheers
Keith
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Assuming WIN10,

1) Right click on your iso file and click Mount
2) Migrate in the explorer window to path BDMV/STREAM/ and copy file 00000.m2ts to a spot on your local hard drive
3) Use 00000.m2ts from local hard drive in a new PD project, like it is your source video again, redo your menu and burn new project in the settings you like

The above approach will also work from your inserted BD into your computer, just start at step 2 and use windows file explorer to migrate to the same path of the BD disc and copy the same 00000.m2ts file to a spot on your local hard drive.

Jeff
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Assuming WIN10,

1) Right click on your iso file and click Mount
2) Migrate in the explorer window to path BDMV/STREAM/ and copy file 00000.m2ts to a spot on your local hard drive
3) Use 00000.m2ts from local hard drive in a new PD project, like it is your source video again, redo your menu and burn new project in the settings you like

The above approach will also work from your inserted BD into your computer, just start at step 2 and use windows file explorer to migrate to the same path of the BD disc and copy the same 00000.m2ts file to a spot on your local hard drive.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I cannot thank you enough for helping me out. Re-burning the file (with redone menu) at MPEG-2 Hi Def has solved my problem.

I still would be interested to learn why H624 lets me down on the over 45 minute videos. Certainly my computer is well up for it! However, despite being rather 'particular', I can detect little difference between that and MPEG-2.

Cheers again Keith
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I still would be interested to learn why H624 lets me down on the over 45 minute videos. Certainly my computer is well up for it! However, despite being rather 'particular', I can detect little difference between that and MPEG-2.

Many users have made reference to not noticing significant visual quality difference between H.264 and MPEG-2 BD rendering and some note MPEG-2 being better for them.

Post a pic of your "Create Disc" > "2D Disc" tab active with the "Burn in 2D" menu for a good look of settings for both what works for you and what does not for insight into some possible things to suggest.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
keefy - Glad that Jeff got you going and your problem resolved.

Would like to look up the model of Sony player that you have and check it's specifications. My Sony player has no issues with avc encoded videos up to 6 hours long.
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote keefy - Glad that Jeff got you going and your problem resolved.

Would like to look up the model of Sony player that you have and check it's specifications. My Sony player has no issues with avc encoded videos up to 6 hours long.

Hi

Thanks for your willingness to help.

My main BluRay player is BDP S570, and a second one is BDP S490, but I don't think it is relevant as they have been OK for many years - and I keep the firmware current and the lasers clean.

I have been revisiting some discs that I made earlier - I think they were rendered at H624, (even short playing time ones), and on both players they are now freezing (whilst the music plays on) - at the same places. This suggests to me that the Verbatim rewritable blank discs may have become corrupt. I'm quite sure that they were OK when I 'signed them off'. I know it has been hot, but they are in a Case Logic file and out of sunlight.

Consequently, I am redoing the menus, re-rendering at MPEG-2 which hasn't let me down, and re-burning (over the top of the old version). Currently, I don't know how many I have to do. I'm just grateful that I archived the original iso files.

Nothing is ever straight forward!

Cheers

Keith

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 18. 2020 13:14

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
The Sony players you listed have received good reviews as 2010-11 vintage players. They should have no problem playing user created avc h.264 encoded discs. Over the years some users use 3rd party tools to achieve a successful disc.

By Verbatim rewritable blank discs I think you mean BD-RE. I have found once they age a second quick erase in succession is necessary and then they function like new. I used them in the past but also checked Create a folder in the Final burn window.

Take one of the discs that have been freezing and use the VLC player on your pc to play it as a BD. Media/Open Disc.../Blu-ray/Play to see if it works properly. I have also found PowerDVD to be a very forgiving BD player.

In the Final burn window do your authoring and check Create a folder. Use ImgBurn freeware to burn the folder to disc. That may be necessary to get a proper burn to disc. Enable hardware encoder if it is available. This will increase the h.264 compatibility with older standalone BD players.See this post for details that worked for this user: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82678.page#post_box_340688 . You should be able to get a good h.264 encoded disc.
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The Sony players you listed have received good reviews as 2010-11 vintage players. They should have no problem playing user created avc h.264 encoded discs. Over the years some users use 3rd party tools to achieve a successful disc.

By Verbatim rewritable blank discs I think you mean BD-RE. I have found once they age a second quick erase in succession is necessary and then they function like new. I used them in the past but also checked Create a folder in the Final burn window.

Take one of the discs that have been freezing and use the VLC player on your pc to play it as a BD. Media/Open Disc.../Blu-ray/Play to see if it works properly. I have also found PowerDVD to be a very forgiving BD player.

In the Final burn window do your authoring and check Create a folder. Use ImgBurn freeware to burn the folder to disc. That may be necessary to get a proper burn to disc. Enable hardware encoder if it is available. This will increase the h.264 compatibility with older standalone BD players.See this post for details that worked for this user: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82678.page#post_box_340688 . You should be able to get a good h.264 encoded disc.

Thanks again for a very comprehensive reply. I will try a second erase - that sounds to be a good tip. I do always create a file before burning the disc. I rarely have a problem playing the discs on the computer.

I will try experimenting, in the future but at present I am content that the MPEG2 copies are giving me no hassle.

Cheers

Keith
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I posted a reply yesterday. It looks like that it must have been a forum timeout error. Here it is again.

Thank you for the feedback.

Other users have also reported that 3rd party tools are necessary to get a working disc like this recent one: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82678.page#post_box_340688 . I use the ImgBurn freeware to burn a created folder to disc. You can burn the created ISO image to disc too with ImgBurn.