Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Panning Audio in Audiodirector.
Barry D [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2017 19:22 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I have a sound effect in my video project that I would like to pan to the right. In Audiodirector there is a line you can move up and down to pan left and right, but it doesn't change audio when listened to. I can't see an "Apply" button on the screen.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, I have a sound effect in my video project that I would like to pan to the right. In Audiodirector there is a line you can move up and down to pan left and right, but it doesn't change audio when listened to. I can't see an "Apply" button on the screen.

Is that sound effect a mono channel perhaps?

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I can't see an "Apply" button on the screen.

Assuming you invoked AD from PowerDirector's timeline, once you resolve the panning issue, you simply close AD and you'll be prompted to keep or discard the changes. If you keep them, the new audio clip will replace the source clip on the timeline. If you discard them, PD's timeline will remain unchanged.

If you opened AD on its own and imported the clip, you'll need to Produce it to save the changes.
Barry D [Avatar]
[Post New]

Assuming you invoked AD from PowerDirector's timeline, once you resolve the panning issue, you simply close AD and you'll be prompted to keep or discard the changes. If you keep them, the new audio clip will replace the source clip on the timeline. If you discard them, PD's timeline will remain unchanged.

If you opened AD on its own and imported the clip, you'll need to Produce it to save the changes.

Hi Optodata,

I did open Audiodirector from Powerdirector's timeline, and I did get prompted to keep the changes (which I hadn't been able to make). The problem I have is that moving the panning line up and down didn't change the audio balance at all. It just didn't function.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 14. 2020 12:30

Barry D [Avatar]
[Post New]

Is that sound effect a mono channel perhaps?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

No it's a downloaded stereo sound effect. Both Channels are equal volume.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff,

No it's a downloaded stereo sound effect. Both Channels are equal volume.

So when you move the panning control in AD you don't see the left and right level meters change at all? Any chance you can share the audio clip?

Jeff
[Thumb - PD18_AD_Panning.png]
 Filename
PD18_AD_Panning.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
243 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
13 time(s)
[Thumb - PD18_AD_PD_Pan.png]
 Filename
PD18_AD_PD_Pan.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
352 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 14. 2020 18:08

Barry D [Avatar]
[Post New]

So when you move the panning control in AD you don't see the left and right level meters change at all? Any chance you can share the audio clip?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the illustrations, it now seems that my sound effect is mono on the left channel, but it comes out of both speakers so I thought it was stereo.
This being the case, I don't think I can do much with it. There is a Powerdirector University video about copy and pasting one channel onto the empty stereo track, but I have just the single track showing, even if I click on "Edit multiple tracks".

An update, I found a workaround by recording the sound clip from the computer's hi fi speakers onto my mobile phone (video mode), then uploaded it to the computer, then on to my Powerdirector project. This sound clip showed up as two channels on Audiodirector and the panning control then worked well.

Many thanks for your illustrations which showed that my cinematic sound effect was mono. Strange that it came out of both speakers from one channel though.

Thanks Again,

Barry

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 11. 2020 18:38