Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
reversing video PWD 15
sc6jd02 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 09, 2016 08:48 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Is it possible to load a video file into PWD15 and save it out reversed? ie. the original start as the end and the original end as the start.
TIA
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The answer is yes if you have the full retail version of PD15.
sc6jd02 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The answer is yes if you have the full retail version of PD15.

I do have the full retail version. How is it done ? I can only find references to playing forward then reverse, not how to do
what I want.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Tools > Power Tools > Video in Reverse

Jeff
[Thumb - PD15_Reverse.png]
 Filename
PD15_Reverse.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
709 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
sc6jd02 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Tools > Power Tools > Video in Reverse

Jeff

Thanks for the reply.
It worked as far as the picture was concerned, but the audio started off ok but then was anything up to 2-3 seconds out of synch
or disappeared completely.
Is there any way round this ?
TIA
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the reply.
It worked as far as the picture was concerned, but the audio started off ok but then was anything up to 2-3 seconds out of synch
or disappeared completely.
Is there any way round this ?
TIA

I assume you are probably referring to timeline playback and audio lag. If you "Produce" the timeline to your preferred file format it should be okay. Or if you want it to playback in the timeline edit mode, try using the "Render Preview" feature and/or reduce timeline "Preview Quality" setting.

Jeff
sc6jd02 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I assume you are probably referring to timeline playback and audio lag. If you "Produce" the timeline to your preferred file format it should be okay. Or if you want it to playback in the timeline edit mode, try using the "Render Preview" feature and/or reduce timeline "Preview Quality" setting.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply.
I did as shown on the png, ie Power tools, video in reverse then Produce to AVI.
Playing the resultant file showed the audio problems I mentioned. The audio is very 'choppy' and drops
out completely at times.
Should I have done anything else ? As you can guess I am new to all this.
sc6jd02 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for the reply.
I did as shown on the png, ie Power tools, video in reverse then Produce to AVI.
Playing the resultant file showed the audio problems I mentioned. The audio is very 'choppy' and drops
out completely at times.

Playing in reverse within PWD has all the audio with no choppiness, lagging or dropping. It would appear that
the problem lies with the Produce activity.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the reply.
out completely at times.

I'd probably see if the issue occurs with a little more current produce format, try H.264 and mimic source clip details.

If that does not work, attach a pic of your timeline and source media details (MediaInfo text) so one might get a glimpse into why the issue.

Jeff
sc6jd02 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'd probably see if the issue occurs with a little more current produce format, try H.264 and mimic source clip details.

If that does not work, attach a pic of your timeline and source media details (MediaInfo text) so one might get a glimpse into why the issue.

Jeff

I have tried the H.264 but am not sure what you mean by mimic source clip details, unless it is make sure the framerates are the
same, which I did.

Mediainfo data is

General
Complete name : H:\hFilms\new\DR.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size : 1.17 GiB
Duration : 2 h 25 min
Overall bit rate : 1 151 kb/s
Writing application : Lavf58.20.100
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 3 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration_FirstFrame : -33 ms
Bit rate : 1 016 kb/s
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 30.020 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.037
Stream size : 1.03 GiB (88%)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : avcC
Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 133 MiB (11%)
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1

Again, I assume that by timeline you mean a screenshot of PWD showing the clip (?)
I attach that.
[Thumb - dr.jpg]
 Filename
dr.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
227 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have tried the H.264 but am not sure what you mean by mimic source clip details, unless it is make sure the framerates are the
same, which I did.

You had mentioned you produced to a AVI container, I was suggesting to use a little more current container and mimic your source video details as close as possible to see if the issue you experience with reverse still occurs in the produced file. Very likely timeline playback of reverse video may not be smooth, a produced file should be though.

So in PD15, create a custom profile for H.264 AVC with a MP4 container that has:

Bit rate : 1 016 kb/s
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Scan type : Progressive

That's a really low bitrate on your source, for PD the low range is 1500 kb/s with the GUI interface.

If that does not work, I'd extract the audio in your reversed video section and use like Audacity to reverse the audio and import back into PD as a wav file for this reversed video section of your timeline.

Jeff
sc6jd02 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for all the advice. I did what I wanted using Cyberlink Audiodirector 7 to extract and reverse the audio track and extracted the video track with PWD. I then loaded both into PWD, linked them and produced the mp4.
This seems to have been completely successful.