Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is there a thunder flashing effect available?
jerry___ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2019 23:23 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
I don't mean like a PiP object, but like an effect you can apply to an image that makes the image brighten and darken, like thunder. Similar to the old movie effect
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Well you can do that with a combination of lighting changes and keyframes, or you can try the Old Movie FX:

jerry___ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Well you can do that with a combination of lighting changes and keyframes, or you can try the Old Movie FX:

Yeah I tried using old movie, I don't think there's any way to make the flicker brighter and darker. Like I mean how it flickers stays constant, I want it to grow really bright, then dark, then kind of bright, then dark. I could always hit split and make each image brighter but it doesn't give off a flashing effect, you know? Sorry this sounds extremely unclear, I just really don't know how to explain it lol. I'll give an example of what I preferred it to look like:

Go to this video and to the time stamp 10:01. See how it flashes there?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB9x7LwN2fk
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The easiest way to do what you're looking for is to use keyframes to set the overall brightness at a low level then jump up to a higher brightness for a frame or two and go back down. You'll have to do it several times in random locations to make it look like real lightning. Ther are actually several FX with lightning bolt shapes if that's of any interest.

The windows scene in the linked video is much more complex, because you'd need to have a mask in the shape of the window to only brighten things showing through it, and then to also light up the inside frame on the brightest flashes.
jerry___ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The easiest way to do what you're looking for is to use keyframes to set the overall brightness at a low level then jump up to a higher brightness for a frame or two and go back down. You'll have to do it several times in random locations to make it look like real lightning. Ther are actually several FX with lightning bolt shapes if that's of any interest.

The windows scene in the linked video is much more complex, because you'd need to have a mask in the shape of the window to only brighten things showing through it, and then to also light up the inside frame on the brightest flashes.

Its actually not so much where the flash is coming from, no need to mask it. What I meant by showing you that is how smooth the flashes look, in comparison to if I adjusted the brightness of the image at random points. It wouldn't look like real lightning flashes. Again, I apologize for how unclear and stupid this sounds lol.
jerry___ [Avatar]
[Post New]

Its actually not so much where the flash is coming from, no need to mask it. What I meant by showing you that is how smooth the flashes look, in comparison to if I adjusted the brightness of the image at random points. It wouldn't look like real lightning flashes. Again, I apologize for how unclear and stupid this sounds lol.

Actually, I think I got it. I'll use old movie and adjust the noise option at random intervals and that might work
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]

Actually, I think I got it. I'll use old movie and adjust the noise option at random intervals and that might work

I think the Lighting 2 effect would be easier and do exactly what you want. You just need to enable "Thunder Flash" and then set the "Core Size" and "Glow Size" to zero. Doing this gives you a similar flash.

Ash
[Thumb - L2.jpg]
 Filename
L2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
43 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
jerry___ [Avatar]
[Post New]

I think the Lighting 2 effect would be easier and do exactly what you want. You just need to enable "Thunder Flash" and then set the "Core Size" and "Glow Size" to zero. Doing this gives you a similar flash.

Ash

Thanks so much. I'll try it
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I have used a white color board and either key frame the opacity or split them so short it appears to flash. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT