Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
With new PC and new PD18 installation, any more tweaking needed?
Kayaker [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 13, 2014 09:23 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I'm now running a new i7-9700cpu, GTX 1650 4GB using game driver 451.67, Win 10 Ver. 2004, with new PD18 installed.

In PD's Hardware menu all is checked, in the Produce menu Reduce Vid Block and Noise are checked. Not checked is allow SVRT on single H.264. I also ran the Optimize routine in PD.

In the Nvidia software I see PD being used when PD is activated, and I have made no changes in Nvidia's 3d settings under there.

I dumped about 6 of the included skateboard clip files in the timeline, along with a few included audio and jpg files (1:50 in time), and produced in H.264 format. With no SVRT or Hdwr vid encoder options checked, in Taskmanager I saw 100% cpu and 47% GPU being utilized. With SVRT checked I saw about 40% cpu and about a 10% average GPU reading. With Hdwr Vid Encoding checked, I saw an average of 25% cpu and 40% GPU being used. Some of these settings were not available with a few other file output choices, which I think is normal with most cards. At this point I did not check the time to produce, as this was a very short clip. But it looks like my video card's CPU and ram is working with PD to some degree. I will watch CPU temperature later when I make a real movie.

In my readiing here today, I also came across the Hdwr and GPU Scheduling option in Windows. I turned that On, and repeated all runs above, and saw little difference in cpu/gpu % (in these short clips). I have left that option On.

My question is, although I'm just into this, have I overlooked any setting that I should set?
[Post New]
My question is, although I'm just into this, have I overlooked any setting that I should set?

No, that should be it. Personally I like using the Studio Driver, but that's not a deal breaker.
Produce in H265 to get smaller size files (or for same size, better quality).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 05. 2020 05:58

Beemer [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Scotland Joined: Dec 27, 2016 02:10 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm now running a new i7-9700cpu, GTX 1650 4GB using game driver 451.67, Win 10 Ver. 2004, with new PD18 installed.

In PD's Hardware menu all is checked, in the Produce menu Reduce Vid Block and Noise are checked. Not checked is allow SVRT on single H.264. I also ran the Optimize routine in PD.

In the Nvidia software I see PD being used when PD is activated, and I have made no changes in Nvidia's 3d settings under there.

I dumped about 6 of the included skateboard clip files in the timeline, along with a few included audio and jpg files (1:50 in time), and produced in H.264 format. With no SVRT or Hdwr vid encoder options checked, in Taskmanager I saw 100% cpu and 47% GPU being utilized. With SVRT checked I saw about 40% cpu and about a 10% average GPU reading. With Hdwr Vid Encoding checked, I saw an average of 25% cpu and 40% GPU being used. Some of these settings were not available with a few other file output choices, which I think is normal with most cards. At this point I did not check the time to produce, as this was a very short clip. But it looks like my video card's CPU and ram is working with PD to some degree. I will watch CPU temperature later when I make a real movie.

In my readiing here today, I also came across the Hdwr and GPU Scheduling option in Windows. I turned that On, and repeated all runs above, and saw little difference in cpu/gpu % (in these short clips). I have left that option On.

I too use the Studio driver. It seems to be more stable than the game driver when a new Windows 10 up date comes out.
Ian
Kayaker [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK great,
Thanks for the suggestion guys. Sounds like it's all is working ok enough for me to get started and tinker a bit with my usual longer movies. I'd guess I can go to either type driver, not a game player or Redbox type streamer here. Other than compiling with PD, and burning a few Blu Rays, just basic stuff, spreadsheets, photoshop, meetings on webcam/skype. I will pick my way thru this new version, make some notes on speed, errors, cpu/gpu temps, etc., and hopefully it'll see my drive and burn correctly, and then jump to the other driver. Chances are I'll come across something to ask for sure.
[Post New]
Just as a side-note, the current Studio Driver is a week "newer" than the "Game Ready" one.
Kayaker [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Just as a side-note, the current Studio Driver is a week "newer" than the "Game Ready" one.

Yea Sonic67, it's on my list to do when my head gets above water here on these other fronts.

I spent a good bit of time today finding out why my trusty Acronis now won't clone my new PC to either of my Barracuda HDD's (it's because it's a Raid drive), and switched to Macrium and all went well. Also discovered my new Dell also won't recognize F12 to enter the boot mode using my standard Lenova kybd. With the shipped little old Dell keyboard, no problem!? Never needed a new driver with that standard kybd, but will check out later.

Yesterday I was able to import a PD12 pds project file, and burn a 12 minute DVD with out any hassle or errors. But I did notice for the burning routine alone, my GPU was running 1-2% and my CPU was 25-100%, with Mpeg 2 and Smartfit selected. That may be normal when not compiling, and time to burn was 5:25.

Before I burned, I also noticed that PD18 does not like any clips previously "color corrected" by PD12. The corrected clips have a very high 2 color contrast look. But that was corrected by simply unchecking that option in PD18.
[Post New]
But I did notice for the burning routine alone, my GPU was running 1-2% and my CPU was 25-100%, with Mpeg 2 and Smartfit selected.

Sadly MPEG2 is not in the modern chips NVENC hardware capabilities list, so it is done via CPU encoding:
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

On older PD12 and Fermi gen cards, before NVENC hardware was introduced, the encoding was done using a CUDA routine (using the card's 3D gaming CUDA cores). That CUDA encoding was deprecated, by nvidia, after driver version 337.88.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 09. 2020 12:06

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
If you want hardware gpu encoding on discs then it is available with the Intel integrated graphics. Both mpeg-2 and h.264 can be used on DVD and Blu-ray discs. The project will be encoded faster and the cpu will run cooler.
Kayaker [Avatar]
[Post New]

Sadly MPEG2 is not in the modern chips NVENC hardware capabilities list, so it is done via CPU encoding:
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

On older PD12 and Fermi gen cards, before NVENC hardware was introduced, the encoding was done using a CUDA routine (using the card's 3D gaming CUDA cores). That CUDA encoding was deprecated, by nvidia, after driver version 337.88.

Yes Sonic67, I had been told that earlier when I was choosing a card for the new Dell, and that the onboard Intel chip could (and Tomasc just followed you with that reminder), will address that option with him. Been tied up here with trying to clone this Raid drive, and fixing my AC temporairly until I can get a part in town this am. Hope to just get some free time soon to play with PD18 again.
Kayaker [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you want hardware gpu encoding on discs then it is available with the Intel integrated graphics. Both mpeg-2 and h.264 can be used on DVD and Blu-ray discs. The project will be encoded faster and the cpu will run cooler.

Tomasc, thanks for the remarks, I remember you or another saying that earlier before I purchased PD and the GPU choice. It's 4am here and I'm about to start AC work, then grocery store, and finally cloning my Raid SSD. Whenever all that is done, I'll have to give some thought as to how to easily change my video to make that worthwhile. A quick Googling just now shows that switch not to always be cut and dried. But I will look at it, prolly worthwhile for longer burns.