Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
4:3 aspect ratio- smart stretch not working
WilliamWallace [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 18, 2015 20:58 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I noticed this when I upgraded from Powerdvd 18 to 20 and its been bugging me.

When I play a 4:3 video all my aspect ratio options are available (see attachments). But if I select 'stretch to fit the screen' or any of the Truetheatre aspect ratios the image reduces to a small inset in the center of the screen. The same thing happens if I view a jpg.

Is there a scaling setting in Powerdvd somewhere that is required for 4K monitors to allow these aspect ratios to work properly?

--Windows 10 PC using Radeon RX-560 through HDMI to Sony 65X900e.
[Thumb - 1.jpg]
 Filename
1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
[Thumb - 2.jpg]
 Filename
2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 01. 2020 08:51

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
I can play my 4:3 video on 16:9 screen fine using the truetheater stretch in powerdvd 20.
My GPU is just an on-board Intel graphics.

Did you apply crop-to-fill in the playback control, or enable the high performance mode in more video settings > miscellaneous page?
Do not use those settings or some video optimizing features on your TV, and try the playback again.

By the way, I usually do not use truetheater smart stretch to view a standard 3:2 photo or any other non-16:9 videos, as the stretch would crop and distort the image more or less. It is unavoidable and biggest trade-off when you just don't wanna see black stripes on the screen.

In my opinion, I really don't like any distortion no matter it's just a bit or pretty noticeable.
WilliamWallace [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 18, 2015 20:58 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I did some experimenting and found that its only 4:3 mkv and mp4s that wont stretch in Powerdvd 20. DVDs stretch ok.

I also found that on my Sony 65X900e over hdmi the "stretch to fit the screen" works with Powerdvd 15 (see attachment) but not 20. Powerdvd 20 stretching over hdmi shrinks the image but over DVI and displayport it stretches just fine.

Any idea what's going on? Its as though Cyberlink disabled 4:3 stretching on only hdmi on Powerdvd 20. I opened a ticket with support but they havent responded yet.
[Thumb - 43 stretch.jpg]
 Filename
43 stretch.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
727 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)