Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem with H.265
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yes, I have the perpetual version.
Don't know what cpu producing is?

That means preventing PD from using the hardware encoder in your nVidia card. Uncheck the Fast video rendering technology box at the bottom of the Produce page. It will take longer to produce than with the hardware encoder, but in this case you may get a usable output
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Steve,
For me it takes two items:
1) in pref Hardware Acceleration, do not select the decode box
2) on the "Produce" page, do not select the "Hardware video encoder" which is in the "Fast video rendering technology:" area

Both are required, CPU decode (1) and CPU encode (2).

Jeff
Steve7 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2020 17:04 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, thanks.
Did that a couple of days ago and it made no difference.
I did get a 4K output, but it was the file mentioned above, covered in red and green horizontal lines.
If I could find a box to check and uncheck I've likely done it.
It looks like the way forward is to create the extra files.
can't believe PD missed this, from what I've read the x-t3 is a very popular choice of camera.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Ok, thanks.
Did that a couple of days ago and it made no difference.
I did get a 4K output, but it was the file mentioned above, covered in red and green horizontal lines.
If I could find a box to check and uncheck I've likely done it.
It looks like the way forward is to create the extra files.
can't believe PD missed this, from what I've read the x-t3 is a very popular choice of camera.

This is after QT install?

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote 1) in pref Hardware Acceleration, do not select the decode box
2) on the "Produce" page, do not select the "Hardware video encoder" which is in the "Fast video rendering technology:" area

Both are required, CPU decode (1) and CPU encode (2).

That was my mistake in not also disabling hardware decoding for my testing, so I've revised my earlier posts to show that I had left hardware decoding enabled.

Disabling HW decoding allowed AVC M2TS and HEVC M2TS producing with nVidia hardware, but neither MP4 profile had any video when using NVENC.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 31. 2020 22:09

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Disabling HW decoding allowed AVC M2TS and HEVC M2TS producing with nVidia hardware, but neither MP4 profile had any video when using NVENC.

Yes, there are certain variants that work with NVENC. Since I was suggesting a workaround and the OP was having a unresolved issue, I provided what has been universally a workaround for me vs a niche certain profile workaround for ease. And yes, one can also achieve 100+Mbps HEVC or H.264 with a proper profile.

Basically I think the 3rd response to OP resolved workaround approach if followed.

Would be nice if CL would resolve vs all the constant workarounds, curiously awaiting resolution to the support ticket, not just confirmed and sent to engineering.

Jeff
Steve7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, I'm back - different time zone.
'DSCF0100 recode AAC' works perfectly with or without 'hardware video encoder' selected in PD - quicker if it is selected.
Lots of bits I don't understand now I'm afraid:
(1) is the above file, 'recode AAC', still a 10 bit file so I can edit in 10 bit (should I desire)
(2) can you send a screenshot of your settings in handbrake as I am currently completely clueless on how to get what you've got.

Getting near the end of the puzzle now, I understand the camera settings, I can use the software, - not a clue (yet) with codecs and containers. However, I'm sure I'll have time in the next lockdown.

I'll be experimenting with 'QT Lite' later on today

Thanks again
Steve7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
QT Lite sadly didn't work, with or without the video encoder.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote (1) is the above file, 'recode AAC', still a 10 bit file so I can edit in 10 bit (should I desire)

Your source MOV is 8-bit 4:2:0 and the recode was also 8-bit. If you record in 10-bit 4:2:2, you can recode in 10-bit and PD will accept it, but remember that your produced videos will always be 8-bit.

Quote (2) can you send a screenshot of your settings in handbrake as I am currently completely clueless on how to get what you've got.

I don't use Handbrake as my experience is with another free tool called VirtualDub2. Perhaps someone who's familiar with Handbrake can do a similar conversion and share the settings they used.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Your source MOV is 8-bit 4:2:0 and the recode was also 8-bit. If you record in 10-bit 4:2:2, you can recode in 10-bit and PD will accept it, but remember that your produced videos will always be 8-bit.

Apparantly lots of confusion here:
Source: DSCF0100.MOV is a 10bit 4:2:0 file

The two reencode of optodata's that I've looked at DSCF0100 recode.mov and DSCF0100 recode AAC.mp4 are both 8bit 4:2:0.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
Yes I was mistaken and blindly assumed that the source was 8-bit. I've recoded the AAC version as 10-bit 4:2:0 (just like the source) and it's in the OneDrive folder now.
Steve7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Fuji xt3 can only produce 10 bit files at H265 - no option to produce 8 bit.
I've tried all the settings on handbrake, best I get when I load an h265 file (mp4) AAC, is when I click on Produce in PD....4 or 5 seconds later PD crashes....every time.
I've experimented a little with the Wondershare Uniconverter and all the output from that is choppy. It will output an h265 but it is choppy, pretty useless. Sound ok, video like the old silent movies.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Fuji xt3 can only produce 10 bit files at H265 - no option to produce 8 bit.
I've tried all the settings on handbrake, best I get when I load an h265 file (mp4) AAC, is when I click on Produce in PD....4 or 5 seconds later PD crashes....every time.

Please share that clip using the link I PM'd you. I'll download Handbrake and see what I can find.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 01. 2020 16:00

Steve7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again, just downloaded the file.
With the video encoder unchecked it 'produces' and then plays back in windows media player perfectly.
With the video encoder box checked it only outputs an audio file.
I'll have a look at VirtualDub2 tomorrow as it seems to be the only thing that works...for me at least.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Both Handbrake and VirtualDub use ffmpeg encoder so should have similar results. The Handbrake screen below captures your source within reason to try.

Jeff
[Thumb - HEVC10bit_HB.png]
 Filename
HEVC10bit_HB.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
49 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Try these settings in Handbrake (full size image is also attached):

I've added Dscf0100-2.mp4 to the OneDrive folder that was created with the above settings. I actually typed in the average bitrate of 104000 for this version.
[Thumb - handbrake settings.jpg]
 Filename
handbrake settings.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Video tab settings
 Filesize
149 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 01. 2020 17:07

Steve7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
100-2mp4, no image of the shed appears on one drive, nevertheless I downloaded it.
Won't load in PD and won't play in windows media player.
Can you send me a similar screenshot of virtuadub and I'll try that tomorrow
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote 100-2mp4, no image of the shed appears on one drive, nevertheless I downloaded it.
Won't load in PD and won't play in windows media player.
Can you send me a similar screenshot of virtuadub and I'll try that tomorrow

Yes, that file, Dscf0100-2.mp4, kind of jacked too, 30fps, source 25fps, not something one typically wants to do.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
Too many things going on here and I apologize for the sloppy work

I've made the necessary changes and you'll need to download the same clip again. This time it's 10-bit 4:2:0 25p H.265 with AAC audio. It imports into PD without any trouble on my end.

I've also revised the embedded screenshot and the attached JPG to match the settings, and I've exported a custom preset. Download MOV-to-MP4.json from the OneDrive folder and import it into Handbrake from the Presets | Import from file option. You should then be able to convert the clip on your end.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Steve7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, crashed and burned.
file from one drive and zip folder wouldn't open in PD
I loaded the preset, noted the changes made, converted the 8 second clip and PD crashed...with and without encoder.
Only working option so far is via VirtualDub - gotta say I don't like the look of it and little to no guidance as to how it works online.
Let me know what you did with VirtualDub and any additional required downloads/plugins and I'll see if I can figure it out.
Thanks for your efforts.
optodata
[Post New]
Well I've done some more testing, and the Handbrake clip crashes PD each time I click on Produce just like you're seeing

The only main diffeence I can see between the two clips is the encoder profile, which is Main 10@L5.1@High on the source MOV and the Handbrake clip, but it's Main 10@L4@Main on the VD2 clip. I changed Handbrake's settings to use Main 10@L4 with the max bitrate, but it didn't help.

The other difference is that Handbrake is using the isom codec while VD2 uses mp42.

In the meantime, I've uploaded the MOV-to-MP4.vproject file to the OneDrive folder. Simply import it into VD2 (File | Load Project) and then use Save Video... (F7) and tell it where to send the converted clip.

YouTube/optodata