Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem with H.265
Steve7 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2020 17:04 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Brand new to video, 30 years of stills experience and a 'lockdown' spent learning video...or trying to.
I am experimenting with what I can and can't do with a Fuji x-t3, bought specifically for video.
H.264 files no problem (FHD and 4K),they play back smoothly and 'Produce' to H.264 (AVC) perfectly.
H.265 files (FHD and 4K), both play back smoothly. And then. Output/'Produce' to either H264 or H265 and nothing. The progress bar remains on zero. I cannot output H265 files at all. (Long gop or All Intra)
Part of me isn't too bothered, the other part wants the option to do 10 bit files and colour grade. I can't.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
My computer is Windows 10; i7 9700K cpu; 16GB Ram; Geforce RTX 2080 super 8 - all updated.
Using Cyberlink 18.
Done a huge amount of reading so far, resolved a lot of problems, but not this one.
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,
Brand new to video, 30 years of stills experience and a 'lockdown' spent learning video...or trying to.
I am experimenting with what I can and can't do with a Fuji x-t3, bought specifically for video.
H.264 files no problem (FHD and 4K),they play back smoothly and 'Produce' to H.264 (AVC) perfectly.
H.265 files (FHD and 4K), both play back smoothly. And then. Output/'Produce' to either H264 or H265 and nothing. The progress bar remains on zero. I cannot output H265 files at all. (Long gop or All Intra)
Part of me isn't too bothered, the other part wants the option to do 10 bit files and colour grade. I can't.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
My computer is Windows 10; i7 9700K cpu; 16GB Ram; Geforce RTX 2080 super 8 - all updated.
Using Cyberlink 18.
Done a huge amount of reading so far, resolved a lot of problems, but not this one.

PD does support H. 265 and has for years. Might be something with specific codec your camera uses. I say open a ticket and make a 10 sec video with it to submit to them and see if it is something with the codec. PowerDirector Tutorials Team
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide and attach the DxDiag file so we can see the technical details of your computer.

Note that you can import 10-bit video but there's no ability to produce 10-bit video in the current version.

It might also help to see a short sample H.265 clip. Upload it to a cloud folder on Google Drive or OneDrive and paste a shareable link to it here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 29. 2020 13:07

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote And then. Output/'Produce' to either H264 or H265 and nothing. The progress bar remains on zero. I cannot output H265 files at all. (Long gop or All Intra)

Steve7, that almost sounds like PD Hardware decoding issue again. I'd unselect Hardware Acceleration decode option in pref and see what occurs then.

I also don't believe PD will color correct 10bit files correctly yet (assume you mean LUTS), so perhaps another issue too.

Jeff
Steve7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the comments.
My goal is, where the situation demands (as in high contrast situations), to shoot in 10 bit to give me wider editing possibilities. Then to output at 8 bit. Basically the same workflow I use for stills.
I had done all of the outputting to H264 with the 'Fast Rendering Technology' button unticked - its default setting.
I ticked that box this afternoon and found I can now output 4K H265 files in the 'Produce' section to H264....perfect.
However, this doesn't work for FHD files which are H265.
Can any of you output FHD files which are H265 in the 'Produce' section with the output set at H264?
if you can, can you tell me what settings you are using.
Is it impossible to use FHD files with H265? Must I shoot 4K if I wish to utilise 10 bit? - I certainly won't be outputting at 4K.
Any flaws in my video reasoning, please let me know.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You may need to install the apple quicktime. The DPreview sample raw file from the Fuji x-t3 works well so it may be a codec issue as suggested by Powerdirector tutorials.
Steve7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks
I've selected/deselected hardware acceleration without any joy. The apple quick time is a good idea, but from what I've read maybe not a good idea to install it as it is no longer supported and has serious vulnerabilities....allegedly.
Mistake on my part yesterday, 4K H265 does 'Produce' a file but it is a mess of red and green horizontal bars - so nothing.
Not got any cloud access but I will have a look at uploading my pc details.
For now H265 is a non starter, but I am happily shooting 4K 200mbps on H264 and downscaling it to 1080.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I just sent you a PM with a link to a folder on my OneDrive account. Your description of what a produced H.265 video looks like is helpful.

Many people install QT Lite instead of Quicktime and I think that's worth a try in your case.
Steve7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is the DxDiag data that was requested.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
114 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
265 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The apple quick time is a good idea, but from what I've read maybe not a good idea to install it as it is no longer supported and has serious vulnerabilities....allegedly.

Apple is aware of the issue and does not install the flawed browser plugin by default as stated on their website. The QT codecs are needed to work with certain formats of mov files like those that have an alpha channel. Users can decide what they are comfortable with.

Unfortunately many camera manufacturers continue to use the apple codecs in their cameras that will be used by pc users.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 31. 2020 08:50

optodata
[Post New]
OK! I received a sample clip and can confirm that its format is the problem. Here's a link to that clip and the other ones I made for testing.

The sample clip plays fine in the Media Library and on the timeline, but when produced to the standard HD 25p AVC and HEVC profiles, only audio is present. I tried using the Profile Analyzer and it came up with a 106Mbps HEVC .M2TS profile, but that only produced a 3kB output file without any content.

I then ran the clip through VirtualDub2 with the same settings as the original: HEVC and PCM audio in a MOV container. That clip played correctly in external players but showed only white content in the library and on the timeline. The produced videos were also empty white but with good audio.

Next, I ran the clip through VDub2 again with the same video settings and changed the container to MP4. I also had to change the audio to Lame MP3 because I couldn't get VDub2 to use PCM audio in MP4 containers.

When I imported that clip into PD, the clip previewed normally in the media library, but when I dragged it to the timeline there was no audio content at all. The audio track section of the clip was missing! The produced AVC and HEVC clips had good video but with a much lower bitrate than the source. An audio track was present but it was totally silent since PD's audio timeline was empty.

The combination that worked for converting the clip was to use HEVC+AAC in an MP4 container. PD was then able to produce using standard AVC and HEVC profiles. The Profile Analyzer gave a profile with a 102Mbs bitrate, but producing with NVENC only gave 42Mbps and using the CPU delivered 62Mbps, but that's still only half of the source clip. I've saved a copy of the profile in the OneDrive folder.

Here's a summary of the contents in the OneDrive folder linked to above. All produced clips were made using NVENC except for the final one. Hardware decoding was enabled for all:

Source Clips
Clip Name MediaInfo Description Notes File Size
DSCF0100.MOV QuickTime Main10@L5.1@High Constant 104Mbps HEVC vid bitrate, HD 25p HEVC PCM audio 119MB
DSCF0100 recode.MOV QuickTime Main@lL4@Main Constant 102Mbps HEVC vid bitrate, empty white video in PD 113MB
DSCF0100 recode MP3.MP4 Base Media Main@L4@Main Constant 102Mbps HEVC vid bitrate, HD 25p HEVC MP3 audio 110MB
DSCF0100 recode AAC.MP4 Base Media Main@L4@Main Constant 102Mbps HEVC vid bitrate, HD 25p HEVC AAC audio 110MB

Produced Clips
Clip Name MediaInfo Description Notes File Size
Steve7 AVC.MP4 (no video present) AAC audio only 422kB
Steve7 HEVC.MP4 (no video present) AAC audio only 422kB
Steve7 AVC (from MOV recode).MP4 Base Media High@L4 82kbps AVC vid bitrate (white) HD 25p AAC audio 493kB
Steve7 HEVC (from MOV recode).MP4 Base Media High@L4 22kbps HEVC vid bitrate (white) HD 25p AAC audio 443kB
Steve7 HEVC Profile Analyzer.M2TS (no A/V present)
no codec info
3kB
Steve7 AVC (from MP4+MP3 recode).mp4 Base Media V2 High@L4 16Mbps AVC vid bitrate, HD 25p AAC audio (silent) 18MB
Steve7 HEVC (from MP4+MP3 recode).mp4 Base Media V2 Main@L4@Main 9.5Mbps HEVC vid bitrate, HD 25p AAC audio (silent) 11MB
Steve7 AVC (from MP4+AAC recode).mp4 Base Media V2 High@L4 16Mbps AVC vid bitrate, HD 25p AAC audio 17MB
Steve7 HEVC (from MP4+AAC recode).mp4 Base Media V2 Main@L4@Main 9.3Mbps HEVC vid bitrate, HD 25p AAC audio 10MB
Steve7 HEVC Profile Analyzer (from MP4+AAC recode) Base Media V2 Main@L5.1@High 40Mbps HEVC vid bitrate, HD 25p AAC audio 44MB
Steve7 CPU HEVC Profile Analyzer (from MP4+AAC recode) Base Media V2 Main@L5.1@High 62Mbps HEVC vid bitrate, HD 25p AAC audio
67MB

So in summary, PD does not seem to be able to produce the video portion of OP's source clip. Converting the clip to HEVC MP4 using Handbrake or VirtualDub2 seems to be a good workaround until the issue is fixed in PD.

I've just reported the issue on ticket #CS002198236 and will post back after I hear from tech support.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 31. 2020 21:39

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Steve7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow, thank you very much for all the time and effort you've put in.
It all sounds like ancient aramaic to me... up until a couple of days ago I thought a handbrake was on my car.
Seems like you have to learn quick in the video field or shoot Charlie Chaplin'esque video for ever.
I shall certainly be following your advice above.
I'm sure with my incredible lack of knowledge I'll be posting again soon.
Thanks again.
optodata
[Post New]
Yeah, sorry about all the techno-babble but I wanted to document everything so the folks at Cyberlink would have a good chance of duplicating my findings.

Does the DSCF0100 recode AAC.MP4 clip work on your end, too? Matching those settings with Handbrake should do the trick while awaiting a PD18 patch.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 31. 2020 15:18

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
As suggested prior, as long as I only use CPU decoding, I could do about anything I wanted with the clip. Produce to AVC, HEVC, MP4, M2TS, with CPU encoding all played back with sound and video fine in basic Microsoft player.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD18_HEVCMOV.png]
 Filename
PD18_HEVCMOV.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1624 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Quote As suggested prior, as long as I only use CPU decoding, I could do about anything I wanted with the clip. Produce to AVC, HEVC, MP4, M2TS, with CPU encoding all played back with sound and video fine in basic Microsoft player.

Using the original MOV clip?

With PD 365 (18.6.3120), I get audio-only 0.5MB clips no matter what HD profile I produce to using only the CPU with hardware decoding enabled: AVC MP4, HEVC MP4, or WMV. I get a 1kB file for AVC M2TS and a 0 byte file for HEVC M2TS.

With QuickSync and hardware decoding enabled, PD can't produce AVC M2TS, AVC MP4 or HEVC MP4 at all. HEVC M2TS is a 3kB file. If I disable hardware decoding, I can produce HEVC M2TS but still get the "Production unsuccessful" message if I try to produce AVC M2TS, AVC MP4 or HEVC MP4.

Basically, nothing works for me with the original clip if I have hardware decoding enabled, but as Jeff mentions in a later post, CPU producing to all formats works correctly if hardware decoding is turned off.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jul 31. 2020 21:56

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Using the original MOV clip?

With PD 365 (18.3.3120) I get audio-only 0.5MB clips no matter what HD profile I produce to using only the CPU: AVC MP4, HEVC MP4, or WMV. I get a 1kB file for AVC M2TS and a 0 byte file for HEVC M2TS. Nothing works at all for me with the orignal clip.

Yes, you can see the original DSCF0100.MOV file in the media library and timeline of my attached pic.

I have the perpetual, so only 18.0.2725 so not all the improvements of subscription, 18.3.3120 or 18.6.xxxx?

Hardware decode and encode a issue, hence the prior suggestion as a workaround, but yes the CPU approach does work for me.

Jeff
Steve7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm going to struggle to comprehend the above data, only started video 3 weeks ago.
But, once I've downloaded handbrake, figured out how it works, I'll get at it and let you know.
optodata
[Post New]
I believe OP has the perpetual version so maybe CPU producing is a viable option for him. It might be quicker than converting the clips beforehand.

YouTube/optodata

Steve7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I have the perpetual version.
Don't know what cpu producing is?
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Yes, I have the perpetual version.
Don't know what cpu producing is?

That means preventing PD from using the hardware encoder in your nVidia card. Uncheck the Fast video rendering technology box at the bottom of the Produce page. It will take longer to produce than with the hardware encoder, but in this case you may get a usable output