Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cutting a clip into parts
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
I want to cut a clip into parts. Not trimming - but into parts, eg 2 halves. In the first instance, a music clip. But I imagine the same method could be applied to all clips.

What I want to do is apply a music performance as mutable background to parts of a project that are just photos, not video with component audio. The photos are scattered in groups (min 1 but usually 3-4 at a time) throughout the project. So, import the music file, position it on the music timeline at the start of one photo section, and at the part where the photos end and the next video clip begins, cut it so that the original music file is now in 2 parts. Be able to drag the second half of the cut file to the place in the music timeline where the next photo section starts, and repeat. Doing it this way avoids clashing audio between the music and the video audio component.

But in PD18 I can't seem to do that. Selecting the music clip, sliding the time marker to the place I want the cut to be, and selecting the scissors to cut the clip, I do not get a music clip now cut into 2 parts, but a smaller screen with it's own timeline and the music track in sound amplitude terms. A bit surprised at that the first time - the other editors I've used just cut the clip where the marker is. But reviewing the panel, moved the marker in the track to where the clip should be cut and Ok's. Nothing happened - no cut music clip in any form. Very repeatable: I must be doing something wrong

So reviewed the user guide for cutting a clip: search on key 'cut' and see what there is in the whole document And it's not very informative for what I want to do.

Can anyone suggest a simple way to do what I want with a music clip as outlined above?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You're using the wrong tool. What you're trying to do is split a clip so you need to use the Split tool:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I want to cut a clip into parts. Not trimming - but into parts, eg 2 halves. In the first instance, a music clip. But I imagine the same method could be applied to all clips.

What I want to do is apply a music performance as mutable background to parts of a project that are just photos, not video with component audio. The photos are scattered in groups (min 1 but usually 3-4 at a time) throughout the project. So, import the music file, position it on the music timeline at the start of one photo section, and at the part where the photos end and the next video clip begins, cut it so that the original music file is now in 2 parts. Be able to drag the second half of the cut file to the place in the music timeline where the next photo section starts, and repeat. Doing it this way avoids clashing audio between the music and the video audio component.

But in PD18 I can't seem to do that. Selecting the music clip, sliding the time marker to the place I want the cut to be, and selecting the scissors to cut the clip, I do not get a music clip now cut into 2 parts, but a smaller screen with it's own timeline and the music track in sound amplitude terms. A bit surprised at that the first time - the other editors I've used just cut the clip where the marker is. But reviewing the panel, moved the marker in the track to where the clip should be cut and Ok's. Nothing happened - no cut music clip in any form. Very repeatable: I must be doing something wrong

So reviewed the user guide for cutting a clip: search on key 'cut' and see what there is in the whole document And it's not very informative for what I want to do.

Can anyone suggest a simple way to do what I want with a music clip as outlined above?

The word you are looking for is "split" and it is the button that's next to the trim button. Clicking split will cut the clip at the timline marker position.

Ash