Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Removing breathing noises
Darlisa [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2020 00:36 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
How do I minimize breathing noises on my video? I've been adjusting the volume in the audio room but was wondering if there was a better way to do it. I have a new microphone on it's way but until then, I have to do with what I have.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 27. 2020 21:53

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
In PD, the best thing I can think of is to use volume keyframes to manually drop the sound down to (or near zero) in between words, depending on whether you want to completely eliminate or just greatly reduce the unwanted breathing sounds. It might be a lot of work, but it should make a difference.

It's probably easier to do that in AudioDirector (if you have it), as you can use the plug-in effects like Noise Gate or the adjustments like wind, plossive and/or hiss removal. There's also a Noise Reduction tool I've used many times that can remove a sampled part of the spectrum without adversly affecting the rest of the clip too much. You can even save the settings as a preset and apply it to additional clips.

You can try the free Audacity app if you don't have AD and the volume keyframe suggestion doesn't work out.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
You may also look into a Noise Gate effect. A Noise Gate removes sound below a certain level, so it can be used to silence sound between times when you're speaking.

It can often be quite effective -- although when overused it's "gate" closing can sound a bit abrupt.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How do I minimize breathing noises on my video?

Vocalists can use a pop filter like a panty hose stretched over a circle in between the mike and the speaker to eliminate this breathing and pop sound. A homemade windscreen can do the same thing. Google to see these DIY.