Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Strange video encoding behavior with hardware acceleration enabled
bctf1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 30, 2013 12:14 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I am rendering 1080p/60fps video in Powerdirector 15 Ultra with hardware acceleration enabled using an AMD RX 570 GPU in Windows 10 Pro. Task manager reports 80-100% GPU video encoding utilization with 35-50% CPU utilization for the first 45% of the encoding process. At the 45% complete mark, GPU utilization drops to 8% for the duration of the encoding. This behavior is happening every time I encode a video in Powerdirector.

FWIW, I am using the latest (20.7.2) Radeon software. Also, I have checked Enable OpenCL technology and Enable hardware decoding in Powerdirector. My CPU is a Ryzen 5 2600 with 16GB of ram.

Why is this happening and what can I do to stop this behavior?
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag.txt
 Filesize
76 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
114 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 27. 2020 12:27

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Why is this happening and what can I do to stop this behavior?

It's almost certainly due to the specific edits on your timeline. Not every section of every project can benefit from (or even use) hardware encoding.

For example, if your last section has clips with LUTs applied, that correction has to be done by the CPU before anything else can happen and the GPU will sit mostly idle during that period.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
bctf1 [Avatar]
[Post New]

It's almost certainly due to the specific edits on your timeline. Not every section of every project can benefit from (or even use) hardware encoding.

For example, if your last section has clips with LUTs applied, that correction has to be done by the CPU before anything else can happen and the GPU will sit mostly idle during that period.

Thank you for your reply. It appears to me that hardware accelerated encoding actually never kicks in on some of my renders regardless of the content of my video. I am not using LUTs and my footage is from a gopro hero7, most of which is 1080p at 60fps with 45mbps bit rate. My most recent render of a 6Gb file took over 3.5 hours in Powerdirector with GPU activity hovering at 7-8% and CPU % never exceeding 50%. This is on a Ryzen 5 2600 . RX 570 and 16Gb of ram. I can render a 30Gb video in Handbrake in 2 hours using CPU only or in less than 30 minutes using GPU hardware encoding.

Is there something wrong with my installation? Do I need to re-install Powerdirector?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 29. 2020 14:23

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If you're able to produce high quality videos using PD15, then nothing is wrong and there's no reason to uninstall/reinstall it. Although it might not seem like it, there are often too many subtle variables to make a direct comparison between Handbrake and PD.

For example, the output profile you choose for PD can be the sole reason that producing a 6GB HD video takes 3 hours or 3 minutes, even with the exact same timeline edits.

If you'd like to see if other people get similar or very different results, you'd need to share your specific project which includes all your source clips. To do that, use Pack Project Materials... under the File menu and save everything to a cloud folder on Google Drive or OneDrvie and paste a shareable link here.

If you're not comfortable doing that, upload a short sample vid from your Hero 7 so we can at least see what the best output profile would be for your projects.

Please see the Share a file publicly section in this Google FAQ page, or check this OneDrive support page if you need more info.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for your reply. It appears to me that hardware accelerated encoding actually never kicks in on some of my renders regardless of the content of my video. I am not using LUTs and my footage is from a gopro hero7, most of which is 1080p at 60fps with 45mbps bit rate. My most recent render of a 6Gb file took over 3.5 hours in Powerdirector with GPU activity hovering at 7-8% and CPU % never exceeding 50%. This is on a Ryzen 5 2600 . RX 570 and 16Gb of ram. I can render a 30Gb video in Handbrake in 2 hours using CPU only or in less than 30 minutes using GPU hardware encoding.

bctf1, your 50% CPU usage is probably more like 100% on physical cores as you probably have SMT activated. I've not seen PD take significant of advantage of that technology, but your real CPU load is now calculated based on 50% more procs than physical, so often the low perceived use. Have you verified, is you light GPU load just decoding?

RX570 has never been real compliant with PD in my view, I've posted several threads on issues previously, often you got a fraction of the profile bitrate and it often capped well under 45Mbps. These users also had issues, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82704.page#post_box_340828 one donated his RX580 to daughter. In my view you are probably better off using your CPU for encoding with PD15.

Jeff
bctf1 [Avatar]
[Post New]

bctf1, your 50% CPU usage is probably more like 100% on physical cores as you probably have SMT activated. I've not seen PD take significant of advantage of that technology, but your real CPU load is now calculated based on 50% more procs than physical, so often the low perceived use. Have you verified, is you light GPU load just decoding?

RX570 has never been real compliant with PD in my view, I've posted several threads on issues previously, often you got a fraction of the profile bitrate and it often capped well under 45Mbps. These users also had issues, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82704.page#post_box_340828 one donated his RX580 to daughter. In my view you are probably better off using your CPU for encoding with PD15.

Jeff

Thank you for your reply. My GPU load of only 7-8% is definately encoding load. In your opinion, would my Quadro P400 be more effective for hardware accelerated encoding in PD 15 Ultra since it has an NVENC chip? It makes my wonder after reading the following statement in the link you provided:

"PD does not have any CUDA based encoders, they simply use the Nvidia NVENC and NVDEC for encoding and decoding".
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for your reply. My GPU load of only 7-8% is definately encoding load. In your opinion, would my Quadro P400 be more effective for hardware accelerated encoding in PD 15 Ultra since it has an NVENC chip? It makes my wonder after reading the following statement in the link you provided:

"PD does not have any CUDA based encoders, they simply use the Nvidia NVENC and NVDEC for encoding and decoding".

bctf1, 7-8% GPU load and maybe 100% CPU load after you adjust for SMT use, which you never clarified, would be very odd if GPU is doing encoding. These type of numbers really more inline with GPU decoding, CPU encoding as long as just video transcoding and no LUTS, color corrections, stabilization....so on.

Concerning P400, it will be similar to any of the GeForce 10 series which has lots of forum experience. For PD15, this however is true, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/80021.page#post_box_329037

This link may give you a little comparison vs your RX570, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/65974.page#post_box_300990

Jeff