Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Use Multicam without the record button
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure if this was answered or not in the past

in PD 18, can you use Multicam with 4 videos and pick which shot without using that record button?

Also, can a video collage of all 4 videos in 1 box be one of the choice angles to pick ?
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Recording is how you switch from camera to camera in multicam editing. (And of course you can change or adjust your selections later.) I'm not sure why you would want the option to select a camera and not record the selection.

And, yes, you can use a video collage as one of your camera angles. I'm just not sure how you'd sync it to the other camera angles.

Maybe if you described what you're trying to accomplish we could suggest easier ways to do it.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Recording is how you switch from camera to camera in multicam editing. (And of course you can change or adjust your selections later.) I'm not sure why you would want the option to select a camera and not record the selection.

And, yes, you can use a video collage as one of your camera angles. I'm just not sure how you'd sync it to the other camera angles.

Maybe if you described what you're trying to accomplish we could suggest easier ways to do it.

Hi. I want to be able to choose which angle is playing at different time stamps without having to do the record function, which in real time is going to take much longer as you have to play the whole video and then press the camera angles, etc

Is there a manual way to do this ?

seems like it may be better to just create the 4 separate videos and color grade/tweak and then add them to the normal PD 18 timeline and then just split ,copy past the clips to the main timeline, etc

Please do let me know if there is a better way
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi. I want to be able to choose which angle is playing at different time stamps without having to do the record function, which in real time is going to take much longer as you have to play the whole video and then press the camera angles, etc

Is there a manual way to do this ?

As Steve stated you have to use the record button in the Multicam Designer. There is no manual option in the multicam designer. It is meant to automate the process. It would be nice if you could sync the clips to the audio and select which clip you want to play at a specific timestamp but that's not an option.

If you know which clip you want to select at specific timestamps it would be best to edit the traditional way on the timeline. You can place each clip and any external audio into separate timeline tracks, hold down CTRL, left click on each clip, and left click the SYNC button above the timeline to sync up all of the clips by audio. Then you can split and delete segments of the clips accordingly to view clips at specific timestamps. I prefer creating multicam videos on the timeline but this may be due to the fact that I'm old school.

laughing

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jul 26. 2020 11:20

Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]

As Steve stated you have to use the record button in the Multicam Designer. There is no manual option in the multicam designer. It is meant to automate the process.

It would be nice if you could sync the clips to the audio and select which clip you want to play at a specific timestamp but that's not an option. If you know which clip you want to select at specific timestamps it would be best to edit the traditional way on the timeline. I prefer creating multicam videos on the timeline myself but maybe that's because I'm old school.

laughing

I thought I read on FB someone wrote this: If you can explain that would be great

Put all four clips in the time line stacked in four tracks.
Trim the front and rear edges so they are synched.
(You can sync clips by audio in the time line to assist.)
Resize each clip down to one fourth size and place in each corner.
Now you see all four in the time line.
(You will have the music source in the music track below all these.)
Play the preview.
Say the clip on track two is the track you wish to have represent the first XX minutes or seconds; play the preview until you get to the point where another track's clip takes over.
Pause the preview. Now here is where this method works better:
you can adjust the break in frame by frame adjustments to get right where you want.
Highlight all 4 video clips and Split.
Highlight each of the three you do not want and remove Leave Gap.
Continue repeating the process.
Now, the same does hold true that when you save this project you can not go back in and adjust as you have removed pieces of the clips.
BUT, your cuts from camera to camera are/can be much finer and reduce those errors.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I thought I read on FB someone wrote this: If you can explain that would be great.

I'm not sure what you would like me to explain but I will try.

The post is directing you to use the PIP Designer or Preview Window to resize the four clips so you can see them all at the same time by placing one clip in each corner.

• You can then select all the clips (Hold Down CTRL + Left mouse click each clip)

• Select the SYNC button above the timeline.

• If the clips do not have audio you can't use the SYNC button and you will have to manually sync the clips br using ALT+Left or right arrow to nudge them into place frame by frame.

• Use the play and pause buttons (or the space bar) to play and stop the video where you want. Or you can drag the playhead to the timestamp you want.

• Once you have selected a place where you want a specific camera angle to show, make sure MOVIE is selected under the preview window

• Press the split button. This will split all the clips.

• Select the three clips you don't want to be visible

• Click the trash bin, and select Delete and Leave gap.

Not sure if I made that any clearer or if I muddied th waters... Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'm not sure what you would like me to explain but I will try.

The post is directing you to use the PIP Designer or Preview Window to resize the four clips so you can see them all at the same time by placing one clip in each corner.

• You can then select all the clips (Hold Down CTRL + Left mouse click each clip)

• Select the SYNC button above the timeline.

• If the clips do not have audio you can't use the SYNC button and you will have to manually sync the clips br using ALT+Left or right arrow to nudge them into place frame by frame.

• Use the play and pause buttons (or the space bar) to play and stop the video where you want. Or you can drag the playhead to the timestamp you want.

• Once you have selected a place where you want a specific camera angle to show, make sure MOVIE is selected under the preview window

• Press the split button. This will split all the clips.

• Select the three clips you don't want to be visible

• Click the trash bin, and select Delete and Leave gap.

Not sure if I made that any clearer or if I muddied th waters...

Thanks for the info. Yes I will try that way using the PIP