Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power director 365 crashes all the time
Podpad101 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2020 06:52 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Looking for a bit of help please. We have been using power director for a couple of months now but recently the program has been crashing and bringing up the blue screen casusing the computer to restart. Checked all the usual things, graphics drivers, all the lastest installed and checked hardware, although the machine being used in very new. At a bit of a loss really and a bit disapointed as the program looked like it had lots of potential. We use the program every day to edit video material for a Youtube chanel. The crash only happens when Power director is running. We have had to switch over to Davinci Resolve just to get material completed for deadlines and it never crashes so the issue is not with the hardware on the machine. Any ideas on a fix would be welcome, really would like to stay with Power Director and not have to move to another editor software.
Any one else had stability issues with Power Diretor 365/18
Thanks
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DXDiag file
 Filesize
121 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
108 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 24. 2020 13:57

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
What you're describing isn't typical.

Please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide and attach the DxDiag file so we can see the details of your computer. That's the best way to give us enough info to help you.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°

Podpad101 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote What you're describing isn't typical.

Please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide and attach the DxDiag file so we can see the details of your computer. That's the best way to give us enough info to help you.

Thanks, DxDiag file now attached.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The results look good as far as drivers and system status are concerned, and the crash records at the end show that many of the BSODs are caused by a minor PD-related app called RichVideo.exe. As far as I'm aware, that's only used to display content when adding clips to the Media Libary and isn't crucial.

It's located in the C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files folder, and there are 2 other programs there that you might want to try running: richvideouninstall.exe, then richvideoinstall.exe. See this post for specifics.

If the problem persists, I'd suggest uninstalling the main PD app, rebooting then reinstalling it to see if that cures the issue.

Something else you can do is to simply rename RichVideo.exe to anything else while PD is closed. That will prevent it from running at all and PD won't complain.

The only other thing is that it looks like you're running the Game Ready version of nVidia's latest driver. You can try installing the Studio Driver instead, and make sure you check the Clean Installation box on the Custom screen.

If you still have the problem after doing all these steps, you should contact CL tech support directly.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Podpad101 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Brilliant, thanks. I noticed the issue with RichVideo.exe, did not know if I could just uninstall it but did not think about renaming it.
Reinstalled PD several times but have the same problem. Tried both Nvidia drivers, game ready and studio.
Thanks again.

Quote The results look good as far as drivers and system status are concerned, and the crash records at the end show that many of the BSODs are caused by a minor PD-related app called RichVideo.exe. As far as I'm aware, that's only used to display content when adding clips to the Media Libary and isn't crucial.

It's located in the C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files folder, and there are 2 other programs there that you might want to try running: richvideouninstall.exe, then richvideoinstall.exe. See this post for specifics.

If the problem persists, I'd suggest uninstalling the main PD app, rebooting then reinstalling it to see if that cures the issue.

Something else you can do is to simply rename RichVideo.exe to anything else while PD is closed. That will prevent it from running at all and PD won't complain.

The only other thing is that it looks like you're running the Game Ready version of nVidia's latest driver. You can try installing the Studio Driver instead, and make sure you check the Clean Installation box on the Custom screen.

If you still have the problem after doing all these steps, you should contact CL tech support directly.
VPXM [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 03, 2020 13:09 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote What you're describing isn't typical.

Hi guys... funny enough "the not so typical" actually occurs on my pc as well.
My sessions with PD365 lasts 20 minutes to 1/2 hour, before I see notorious blue screen collecting info, with IRcue code (telling me to go and check www.windows.com) and then a hard reset. Frustrating as hell.

FYI I can run GTA5 with max specs just fine (i7 / 32gigs of ram / GTX1070).
I just spend literally 4 hours yesterday, fully updating my windows os, including latest version of PD365. When idle / opening session, the program works great, including video rendering. Right now, I'm working with multiple video tracks. Some with the same clip, but using mask designer. As soon as I add additional video clips, or put them in my tracks... PD365 crashes.

Talk about unnerving lol

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2020 13:35

optodata
[Post New]
Two people with the same problem out of I don't know how many thousands of installations is still not exactly a widespread issue, and just like OP the only way your fellow users here might be able to help would be to provide the requested DxDiag test results. CL tech support will require them as well if you decide to put in a support request with them.

Another thing you can look at is to use Windows Event Viewer and check the Application events under Windows Logs (probably Error 1000) to see what the faulting module is when PDR.exe crashes. If it starts with "nv" it's the nVidia driver.

YouTube/optodata

VPXM [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 03, 2020 13:09 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Two people with the same problem out of I don't know how many thousands of installations is still not exactly a widespread issue, and just like OP the only way your fellow users here might be able to help would be to provide the requested DxDiag test results. CL tech support will require them as well if you decide to put in a support request with them.

Another thing you can look at is to use Windows Event Viewer and check the Application events under Windows Logs (probably Error 1000) to see what the faulting module is when PDR.exe crashes. If it starts with "nv" it's the nVidia driver.

Well, thank you kindly for trying. When I took a coffee break after my last session and hardware restart... I came back to my computer, and noticed a big blue window in the center stating "we have an update for you!!"

Since I've pretty much updated everything else, I took a chance on this, and re-started my computer as asked. I have been using PD365 for a solid hour and a half now... zero unexpected freezes or halts, or resets. I don't know who to thank. I'm just glad I can go back to work and finish my project 😊