Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rendering while playing !
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, just changed my PC and now I have rendering while playing 4K in the timeline !
Is this something new or is it just something I've been missing all these years?
Anyway, it's a brilliant step forward.cool
Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Wow, just changed my PC and now I have rendering while playing 4K in the timeline !
Is this something new or is it just something I've been missing all these years?
Anyway, it's a brilliant step forward.cool
Cheers

Hiiii Kyyyyle! (Couldn't help myself from making the Family Guy reference - Google it).

If I undertand your question the render preview function has been around since PD 11.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=16451

When the previews of your project are not so smooth, the automatic render preview feature reduces lagging. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
Kyle 40
[Post New]

Hiiii Kyyyyle! (Couldn't help myself from making the Family Guy reference - Google it).

If I undertand your question the render preview function has been around since PD 11.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=16451

When the previews of your project are not so smooth, the automatic render preview feature reduces lagging.

Hi Maliek, how is going? Love the refferencesmile
Yes, I've used manual render for lots of projects. But I've never being able to play the timeline while rendering is being carried out at the same time ! It's all new to me. laughing Mind you, my old PC was starting to struggle with PowerDirector.
Glad I upgraded innocent

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Wow, just changed my PC and now I have rendering while playing 4K in the timeline !

This has been brought up in this and other forums. I have never experienced this automatic preview rendering in any version of PowerDirector, in any pc. Editing HEVC 60p 4K is slow so I enable shadow files to work with them. For whatever reason I haven't experienced automatic preview rendering. I have used the manual preview rendering in the past.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Maliek, how is going? Love the refferencesmile
Yes, I've used manual render for lots of projects. But I've never being able to play the timeline while rendering is being carried out at the same time ! It's all new to me. laughing Mind you, my old PC was starting to struggle with PowerDirector.
Glad I upgraded innocent

That actually sounds more like an anomaly rather than a feature. Can you post a screen shot so one can see exactly what you reference? More than likely PD is not getting some feature of the GPU correctly if you are seeing a render preview green status bar without initiating a manual render preview with any modern GPU hardware.

Jeff
Kyle 40
[Post New]

This has been brought up in this and other forums. I have never experienced this automatic preview rendering in any version of PowerDirector, in any pc. Editing HEVC 60p 4K is slow so I enable shadow files to work with them. For whatever reason I haven't experienced automatic preview rendering. I have used the manual preview rendering in the past.

Hi tomsac, I've just upgraded my PC yesterday and we've just started trading again. I've only managed to look at PD once so far but I should have some more time in the next few days and I'll gladly try and supply more details.

Kyle 40
[Post New]

That actually sounds more like an anomaly rather than a feature. Can you post a screen shot so one can see exactly what you reference? More than likely PD is not getting some feature of the GPU correctly if you are seeing a render preview green status bar without initiating a manual render preview with any modern GPU hardware.

Jeff

Hi JL_JL & tomasc

I've used screen recorder to record my playing timeline and simultaneously rendering !

My new CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core Processor with 16 logical processors with 32 gig ram.

I'm still using my old GPU, a Nvidia GeForce GT 640 but it can now run at 100% which it never did before.

PowerDirector 365 timeline playing while rendering I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you very much for the screen recording on YT. Based on the documentation and the YT video supplied you do have a modern powerful cpu and a keppler 2012 vintage gpu. You have shadow files enabled that have not finished yet (Yellow instead of Green). Your initial preview resolution is set to UHD 4k resolution.

The Preferences/Hardware acceleration have both checkboxes checked. I would uncheck both to see if that stops the automatic preview rendering. If that doesn’t work then lower the Preview quality to either HD or High. You don’t need shadow files on this pc to edit 4K video. Uncheck Enable shadow files ... in the Preferences/General. Believe that the videos on the timeline are AVC h.264 4K because that GT 640 has that avchd hardware decoding but not for h.265.

Supplying a DxDiag.txt would be very helpful and is the next step for this pc.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm that trying to work at Ultra HD Preview Resolution will require pre-rendering of all clips even on very fast systems. That makes it pretty much unusable for me as every time you make a timeline change, PD has to render the affected section all over again.

I agree with tomasc that there's also no need to use shadow files at all, and running PD at Full HD Preview Resolution should give you a very smooth editing response.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm still using my old GPU, a Nvidia GeForce GT 640 but it can now run at 100% which it never did before.

100% not really a good thing or any indication things are performing well. Basically, as tomasc said, you are using the GPU for decoding timeline content with your check in pref > Hardware Acceleration and the GT 640 is woefully incapable at Ultra HD preview, so the 100% usage. You should have had a screen similar to attached, obviously once you acknowledge, yes, render preview will occur automatically. I'd suggest a more reasonable playback resolution for a better overall editing experience.

Additionally, your CPU is probably far more capable for decoding vs the GT 640, adjust in pref > Hardware Acceleration.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD18_UHD_Render.PNG]
 Filename
PD18_UHD_Render.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
309 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Thank you very much for the screen recording on YT. Based on the documentation and the YT video supplied you do have a modern powerful cpu and a keppler 2012 vintage gpu. You have shadow files enabled that have not finished yet (Yellow instead of Green). Your initial preview resolution is set to UHD 4k resolution.

The Preferences/Hardware acceleration have both checkboxes checked. I would uncheck both to see if that stops the automatic preview rendering. If that doesn’t work then lower the Preview quality to either HD or High. You don’t need shadow files on this pc to edit 4K video. Uncheck Enable shadow files ... in the Preferences/General. Believe that the videos on the timeline are AVC h.264 4K because that GT 640 has that avchd hardware decoding but not for h.265.

Supplying a DxDiag.txt would be very helpful and is the next step for this pc.

Hi tomsac, thanks for your reply.
I'm sorry for the delay in repling but I had to wait till I had some time to delve further into your suggestions. Please find enclosed DX file as per your request.
We've had to spend a lot of cash ( all of it quite unexpectedly ) in the past few weeks ! I decided to keep the old GPU just to try and save money. Hopefully, it'll be replaced at some point when I start earning money again! embarassed

Cheers
 Filename
DxDiag.July31.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Dx file
 Filesize
91 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
162 time(s)
I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote I can confirm that trying to work at Ultra HD Preview Resolution will require pre-rendering of all clips even on very fast systems. That makes it pretty much unusable for me as every time you make a timeline change, PD has to render the affected section all over again.

I agree with tomasc that there's also no need to use shadow files at all, and running PD at Full HD Preview Resolution should give you a very smooth editing response.

Hi optodata, thanks for your recomendation, really appreciate it. Yes, I agree with you about using a lower Preview resoloution during editing, it does make life a bit easier. I think I was just trying to see what the new PC could do innocent but I've since gone back to Full HD Preview.
Thanks again.

Kyle 40
[Post New]

100% not really a good thing or any indication things are performing well. Basically, as tomasc said, you are using the GPU for decoding timeline content with your check in pref > Hardware Acceleration and the GT 640 is woefully incapable at Ultra HD preview, so the 100% usage. You should have had a screen similar to attached, obviously once you acknowledge, yes, render preview will occur automatically. I'd suggest a more reasonable playback resolution for a better overall editing experience.

Additionally, your CPU is probably far more capable for decoding vs the GT 640, adjust in pref > Hardware Acceleration.

Jeff

Hi JL_JL Many thanks for your reply.
Yeap, that all figures, using older tech with new tech doesn't prove to be the best of pals. But, I had to save some cash by recycling my old GPU, I'm hoping that I'll be in a better postition in the near future to replace it. I'm also back to using Full HD preview.