Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Boris FX Free Particle Illusion Standalone
DaleH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 19, 2020 11:58 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have downloaded the free Boris FX Particle Illusion Standalone software. I can't seem to render the particle to a format that has a transparent background when I bring the file into PowerDirector 18.
Any ideas?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You have to use the ProRes 4444 preset, and also make sure you have RGB + Straight Alpha set for channels:

Any effects produced without the Alpha channel won't be transparent.

Once you've rendered the effect, place it on any lower track in PD to have the effect show over the background clip:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20. 2020 15:17

DaleH [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have tried the settings and now PD 18 crashes when I try to bring the rendered file in. I've gone ahead and had the system send the debug request. Using PD18 Ultimate.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
PD Ultimate should support that codec, but there's a chance it didn't get installed properly. Try producing to ProRes 422 with the same channels and see if that works.

If not, you can try uninstalling/reinstalling PD, and also follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide thread and attach the DxDiag file so we can see all the details of your computer.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
DaleH [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have tried the files in another install (different computer) of PD 18 ultimate, and it did not work either. PD did not 'crash' but did give another error (format issue). Since this is only a 'add on', I can work without it for now. I wonder if the PD 365 does not have the issue where installed PD 18 might? I've been hesitant to uninstall and reinstall just in case things got worse. I have attached the DXDiag.txt and it did not show any 'system errors' - that I noted anyway. I do note some 'lag' in response to some of the edits (large title text with keyframes to scroll across the screen), which seems to have gotten worse over time. If something seen in the DXDiag that might help there, that would be appreciated.
Thank you!
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Diagnostics File
 Filesize
98 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
130 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
I don't see anything worrisome in the DxDiag results, but there are lots of crashes of Edge, along with PDR, MS Photos and Resolve. You might want to run these two tests to see any they can find and repair any hidden damage to Windows system files.

Also, try downloading this transparent 4:2:2 clip and see if your two system behave the same way as they did with the clips you've made.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 21. 2020 17:03

DaleH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ran both tests and no issues were found.

Attached are screen snips of the error message from Windows trying to play the clip and then from PD showing the 'crash' report option. The other computer just stated it was an unsupported file type.

Since latest update of Windows to the 2004 release, the issues with Edge repeatedly failing to load pages (not so with Firefox). I then found a Registry entry to 'ignore' those issues and the failing to load issues have not been bothersome.

Loaded a free copy of Davinci Resolve to 'check' and it plays the Boris files flawlessly (Resolve is a lot harder to use).

Also checked and latest version of MS Photo is installed, unless it is catching the attempts to view the particle mov.

As before, thank you for looking.
[Thumb - Windows Play of Particle_422.mov.jpg]
 Filename
Windows Play of Particle_422.mov.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Windows play message
 Filesize
13 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - PD Error when trying to open Particle_422.jpg]
 Filename
PD Error when trying to open Particle_422.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD Error Message
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Ok. Again the issue is that you don't have the ProRes codec installed on your system so neither Windows nor PD can open these clips.

You need to have QuickTime support to play any MOV files, and that's why I suggested uninstalling/reinstalling PD as it has the necessary files.

If you're worried that something will happen to prevent you from reinstalling PD, I suggest you make a system image using a free app or use the System Restore utility in Windows to create a backup of your C: drive as it currently is. That way, you can restore everything to today's state if needed. Also make sure that you have the appropriate PD installer handy before you uninstall it.

You can also try installing the free QTLite app. You'd then want to download and install the ProRes codec from this CNET page, and then you should be able to play and edit these clips.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 21. 2020 20:12

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
DaleH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much. All is working now. Your help was much appreciated.
Regards,
DaleH

Quote Ok. Again the issue is that you don't have the ProRes codec installed on your system so neither Windows nor PD can open these clips.

You need to have QuickTime support to play any MOV files, and that's why I suggested uninstalling/reinstalling PD as it has the necessary files.

If you're worried that something will happen to prevent you from reinstalling PD, I suggest you make a system image using a free app or use the System Restore utility in Windows to create a backup of your C: drive as it currently is. That way, you can restore everything to today's state if needed. Also make sure that you have the appropriate PD installer handy before you uninstall it.

You can also try installing the free QTLite app. You'd then want to download and install the ProRes codec from this CNET page, and then you should be able to play and edit these clips.