Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to set smooth audio level transition between two parts of music with different volume levels?
Igorr [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2020 05:32 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys

I try to do very simple video editing. I have two video clips and underground music. Music under clip1 has 100% volume. Music under clip2 has 30%. I can't understand how to do an audio transition in this case? I'd like to hear a smooth audio volume transition from 100% to 30%.
Tried methods:
  1. Immediate drop from 100% to 30% sounds very strange. not acceptable.

2. Fade In\Out in Audio Configuration options give also bad results - a smooth drop from 100% to 0%, and then a smooth increase from 0 to 30%. Sounds strange also.

Any other ideas? Is it possible to do a smooth volume transition between two clips\audio pieces with different volume levels in the PD mobile?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 21. 2020 11:53

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're looking for. Are you wanting to increase the clip2 volume from 30% to 100% when you fade to it from clip1, or keep it at 30% while the clip1 audio fades out completely?
Igorr [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're looking for. Are you wanting to increase the clip2 volume from 30% to 100% when you fade to it from clip1, or keep it at 30% while the clip1 audio fades out completely?

I want to smoothly reduce volume from 100% to 30%. Look at the screenshot attached.
[Thumb - Screenshot_20200721-111946_PowerDirector.png]
 Filename
Screenshot_20200721-111946_PowerDirector.png
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot
 Filesize
953 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Got it. The easiest way that I can think of is to place clip2 on the first overlay track and then fade clip1 out entirely. That way, clip1 will fade out from 100% to 0% at the same time clip2 will play at 30%. Depending how you want it to sound, you may want clip2 to start a little earlier and you may want to fade it in so it starts ramping up as clip1 is fading out.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Igorr [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Got it. The easiest way that I can think of is to place clip2 on the first overlay track and then fade clip1 out entirely. That way, clip1 will fade out from 100% to 0% at the same time clip2 will play at 30%. Depending how you want it to sound, you may want clip2 to start a little earlier and you may want to fade it in so it starts ramping up as clip1 is fading out.

Hmm. Good idea. Tricky and little bit difficult because need to guess the correct position of clip 2, but as a workaround, it should work.
As I understand correctly there is no official way (without tricks) to do this - no proper functionality in PDM for now. And it's sad. PDM - is so powerful application but without so useful and simple functionality.
Thanks a lot for the idea. Definitely I will use it.
Maybe someone else has other workarounds.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Hmm. Good idea. Tricky and little bit difficult because need to guess the correct position of clip 2, but as a workaround, it should work.

It's actually very easy to align, but you'll need to zoom in quite a bit and you'll need to make sure that Enable Snap to Clips in Timeline is checked in Settings.

Once you zoom in, you'll notice that the overlay clip will "snag," or momentarily stop moving when you drag it at the exact moment it aligns with an edge of clip1.

Quote As I understand correctly there is no official way (without tricks) to do this - no proper functionality in PDM for now. And it's sad. PDM - is so powerful application but without so useful and simple functionality.

This isn't a "trick' or a workaround, it's a perfectly viable approach to editing that doesn't require any transitions to accomplish your goal. If you want to keep both clips on the main track and have the audio volume smoothly transition from one clip to the next, try using the Fade transition.

In the desktop version of PD, there are 2 audio-only transitions but you'll have to use one of the visual ones in PDM to get the audio fade between connected clips.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 22. 2020 13:53

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Igorr [Avatar]
[Post New]

This isn't a "trick' or a workaround, it's a perfectly viable approach to editing that doesn't require any transitions to accomplish your goal.

As for me perfect approach should look like volume line with adding/removing keyframes or keypoints, which define new volume level (something like on the attached screenshot). In other words a tool that everybody get used to see in all desktop and even some mobile video editors (e.g. LumaFusuion, KineMaster).
But in PDM it's possible to set only one volume level for whole clip. That's why if I need to have two different volume levels inside one clip/music, I should split clip/music into parts and to "play" with their volume levels. And that's why I need to set somehow the audio volume smoothly transition from one part to another.
[Thumb - Screenshot_20200804-162129_PowerDirector.png]
 Filename
Screenshot_20200804-162129_PowerDirector.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1578 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
Igorr [Avatar]
[Post New]

If you want to keep both clips on the main track and have the audio volume smoothly transition from one clip to the next, try using the Fade transition

Fade transition is not an option. It's available for video clips only (or I don't know how to add it to the music line. Also, I verified and it didn't do smooth audio transition
[Thumb - Screenshot_20200804-162129_PowerDirector.png]
 Filename
Screenshot_20200804-162129_PowerDirector.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1578 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
0 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2020 10:54

optodata
[Post New]
Quote Fade transition is not an option. It's available for video clips only (or I don't know how to add it to the music line. Also, I verified and it didn't do smooth audio transition

You're right, I was referring to A/V clips on the main track.

However, I just tried placing 2 music clips end-to-end on the music track and when I click on the Edit (pencil) icon, I get a menu showing Volume and Duplicate. When I click on Volume, I get this mixer panel, which might be just what you're looking for:

Igorr [Avatar]
[Post New]

You're right, I was referring to A/V clips on the main track.

However, I just tried placing 2 music clips end-to-end on the music track and when I click on the Edit (pencil) icon, I get a menu showing Volume and Duplicate. When I click on Volume, I get this mixer panel, which might be just what you're looking for:

No, this is general Audio Mixer for whole project. There impossible to set different volume levels for one Music track or any other tracks. Just perform volume setting for whole track
optodata
[Post New]
OK. I completely understand what you're looking for. Again, placing each clip on separate tracks as I suggested earlier is the quickest solution.

Another approach would be to place Clip2 on the timeline by itself, set the volume to 30% and produce it as a 360p MP4 clip. Import it onto the audio track, and since it's already at the desired volume level, the fade from Clip1 will work as expected.

If you'd like to request the kind of fading adjustments you've described here, go to the FAQs & Send Feedback screen from the Settings menu.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 05. 2020 13:56

Igorr [Avatar]
[Post New]
If you'd like to request the kind of fading adjustments you've described here, go to the FAQs & Send Feedback screen from the Settings menu.

Yes, thank you. I've sent the feedback.
I'm pretty sure that even if developers modify Fade In\Out functionality (from standard Volume menu) to do fade not only from\to 0 volume level but from\to the previous clip volume level, it will be enough (for me at least).
Sure would be great to have track volume line with keyframes, but at least to have a good easy approach to do smooth increasing\reducing of volumes between 2 clips\music parts.
Igorr [Avatar]
[Post New]
Can't believe, but PDM team has released volume keyframe feature! It's amazing. Now I don't need to workaround the missing of this feature.
Thanks a lot to everybody. And many thanks to PDM team!
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Can't believe, but PDM team has released volume keyframe feature! It's amazing. Now I don't need to workaround the missing of this feature.
Thanks a lot to everybody. And many thanks to PDM team!

I came back to this thread to let you know about the new feature but I see you already saw the update. It's an awesome feature. I'll be creating a tutorial on it in the near future but for those who read this thread and need to see more information about this feature now here is the tutorial that CyberLink created.

Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]

I came back to this thread to let you know about the new feature but I see you already saw the update.

I created my own tutorial as well.