Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Playing 4K HDR on a non-4K HDR Monitor
Jeffrey57 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 19, 2019 17:16 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone have any suggestions for playing 4K HDR movies on a non-4K HDR monitor using PowerDVD 20? I expected the image to be darker than usual when playing a 4K HDR movie, but there doesn't seem to be a way to brighten the image. The video controls are disabled on the Settings>Video Enhancements dialog and using the graphics adapter settings distorts the image while making it brighter. The odd thing is I can play the same movie on VLC Media Player and it has no problem playing the movie with normal brightness. It is not HDR but it looks equivalent to a non-HDR blu-ray image in quality and is very watchable.
Is there some setting on PowerDVD that I am not aware of that will allow me to adjust the image's brightness? I'm also puzzled why a free video player like VLC Media Player can play a 4K HDR movie so well while PowerDVD 20 cannot.
I'm running PowerDVD20 on Windows 10 V.2004. My processor is an Intel Core i5-8500 with integrated graphics adapter UHD 630, and I have set the Intel SGX setting 'ON' in the motherboard BIOS.
Just to reiterate, I have no problem playing a 4K HDR movie, I just have no way to brighten the image.
TranLe [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2009 00:13 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Does anyone have any suggestions for playing 4K HDR movies on a non-4K HDR monitor using PowerDVD 20? I expected the image to be darker than usual when playing a 4K HDR movie, but there doesn't seem to be a way to brighten the image. The video controls are disabled on the Settings>Video Enhancements dialog and using the graphics adapter settings distorts the image while making it brighter. The odd thing is I can play the same movie on VLC Media Player and it has no problem playing the movie with normal brightness. It is not HDR but it looks equivalent to a non-HDR blu-ray image in quality and is very watchable.
Is there some setting on PowerDVD that I am not aware of that will allow me to adjust the image's brightness? I'm also puzzled why a free video player like VLC Media Player can play a 4K HDR movie so well while PowerDVD 20 cannot.
I'm running PowerDVD20 on Windows 10 V.2004. My processor is an Intel Core i5-8500 with integrated graphics adapter UHD 630, and I have set the Intel SGX setting 'ON' in the motherboard BIOS.
Just to reiterate, I have no problem playing a 4K HDR movie, I just have no way to brighten the image.

playing 4K on less than 4k (e.g. 1080p) works fine, I usually run the player in a window (non-full screen) and it looks good.
playing HDR in an SDR color mapping make the color look too pale for me.

playing UHD blu-ray disk does not works at all unless you have all the component working and talking to each other:

• intel cpu the newer one with gpu on board.

• a motherboard with hdmi that can do hdcp 2.0 at least or a display port with and hdmi adapter that does hdcp 2.0

• a monitor that does HDR with hdcp 2.0.

• a correct bios

• a correct intel video driver that support sgx

If you don't have all of it then you get only a blank screen and it is simpler to just by a standalong uhd blu-ray play and connect to your tv.