Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rotation works while editing, but fails when video is Produced- PD15
dgpretzel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2015 12:49 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I took some 16:9 video "sideways" (holding camera sideways to that I could better get some footage of a tall subject). So, when I imported into PD15, the image displays sideways.

I rotated it 90 degrees, and it is perfect in the preview window.

I produce the video to a new mp4 file.

When I play the result, the image is back to the original orientation (so it is, once again, sideways).

If I re-open the project in PD, it displays in my desired (vertical) orientation.

But, when I play the produced mp4, it is horizontal.

How can I get the mp4 to be the same as the preview window in PD?

Thank you.

DG
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I took some 16:9 video "sideways" (holding camera sideways to that I could better get some footage of a tall subject). So, when I imported into PD15, the image displays sideways.

I rotated it 90 degrees, and it is perfect in the preview window.

I produce the video to a new mp4 file.

When I play the result, the image is back to the original orientation (so it is, once again, sideways).

If I re-open the project in PD, it displays in my desired (vertical) orientation.

But, when I play the produced mp4, it is horizontal.

How can I get the mp4 to be the same as the preview window in PD?

Thank you.

DG

Hi,

Which player are you using and have you tried other players to see if the issue is common across all players?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
dgpretzel [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,

Which player are you using and have you tried other players to see if the issue is common across all players?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thank you for your response.

The player is Windows Media Player.

I have not tried any others, but will find one.

DG
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The player is Windows Media Player.

I have not tried any others, but will find one.

Apparently you used the PD15 9:16 aspect ratio and Windows 7. The default Windows media player in Windows 7 does not read the rotational flag in any video clip. You need to upgrade the pc operating system to Windows 10 and the media players will then read the orientation correctly from any camera or phone recordings.
dgpretzel [Avatar]
[Post New]

Apparently you used the PD15 9:16 aspect ratio and Windows 7. The default Windows media player in Windows 7 does not read the rotational flag in any video clip. You need to upgrade the pc operating system to Windows 10 and the media players will then read the orientation correctly from any camera or phone recordings.

Thank you.

When I played the produced mp4 on my wife's Mac, it played exactly as expected.

So, it was Microsoft's error all along. I spent hours trying to figure it out. Never occurred to me that the Media Player could be the problem!

Regards,

DG