Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dynamic mask from clouds - green screen death star behind timelapse clouds
kevinbuckley70 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 15, 2015 03:39 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I have a timelapse video of a huge wide landscape with rolling clouds. I also have a green screen clip of the Star Wars death star which I want to slowly creep across the screen. But it needs to be in front of the 'sky' (there is some blue sky visible behind the clouds) but behind the clouds. I assume I need to turn the moving clouds into a mask but I can't figure out the best way to do that. Any ideas?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 11. 2020 03:50

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Put the Star Wars clip on a higher number track will make it appear in front of whatever Is in lower numbered tracks.

If the star wars clip has transparency, parts of the lower numbers tracks will show through.
You can use Chroma key to make the Green screen transparent.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 11. 2020 08:32

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

kevinbuckley70 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Put the Star Wars clip on a higher number track will make it appear in front of whatever Is in lower numbered tracks.

If the star wars clip has transparency, parts of the lower numbers tracks will show through.
You can use Chroma key to make the Green screen transparent.

Yes but it needs to be BEHIND the clouds
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Cam you "fake" it by adding your own clouds? There are lots of cloud clips to steal from the web, and very realistic. You may have some luck with FX clouds, too. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a timelapse video of a huge wide landscape with rolling clouds. I also have a green screen clip of the Star Wars death star which I want to slowly creep across the screen. But it needs to be in front of the 'sky' (there is some blue sky visible behind the clouds) but behind the clouds. I assume I need to turn the moving clouds into a mask but I can't figure out the best way to do that. Any ideas?

If you have ColorDirector or DirectorSuite (which includes ColorDIrector) you can try using the Motion Mask feature to remove the clouds. You can then place the original clip on the lower number track, the Death Star on the next numbered track, and the clouds on the highest numbered track.

If you do not have ColorDirector Barry has already provided you with the best solution.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 11. 2020 09:04

Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
kevinbuckley70 [Avatar]
[Post New]

If you have ColorDirector or DirectorSuite (which includes ColorDIrector) you can try using the Motion Mask feature to remove the clouds. You can then place the original clip on the lower number track, the Death Star on the next numbered track, and the clouds on the highest numbered track.

If you do not have ColorDirector Barry has already provided you with the best solution.

Yes I have color director. That's probably the way I'll go. Similar to rotobrush in aftereffects. Thanks for all your suggestions.