Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD18 seems not to support MTS format video clips??
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Whats up? Just upgraded from PD16 to PD18 and the project I was working on yesterday will not load today, loads of complaints about incompatability and can only edit the image but not tthe sound.

As all my clips are .mts this effectively means PD18 is not longer of any use.

Have I done something wrong?

Have CL got a problem? All the data I can see says .mts is still a compatible format for video clips.

The project I am halfway through is now unworkable.

I had hoped (assumed) upgrading to PD18 would offer some useful benefits, but right now it does not work at all.

Help appreciated.

Alan.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Whats up? Just upgraded from PD16 to PD18 and the project I was working on yesterday will not load today, loads of complaints about incompatability and can only edit the image but not tthe sound.

As all my clips are .mts this effectively means PD18 is not longer of any use.

Have I done something wrong?

Have CL got a problem? All the data I can see says .mts is still a compatible format for video clips.

The project I am halfway through is now unworkable.

More than likely the AVCHD(.mts) clips that you are working with on the timeline have Dolby Digital audio(ac3). DD 5.1 is no longer supported in Produce or Create Disc for the audio. DD 2 channel is supported in Produce if you are using Windows 10.

See this FAQ for more information: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=24372 . You may want to check to see if your camera can record video with a different audio format like pcm to be compatible with PD18. You can convert the audio in your video clips using a converter like HandBrake. You can extract the audio on the video clips in the library and save them as .wav files and then to unlink the same videos in the timeline. Remove the original audio and replace it with the newly extracted wav files.
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]

More than likely the AVCHD(.mts) clips that you are working with on the timeline have Dolby Digital audio(ac3). DD 5.1 is no longer supported in Produce or Create Disc for the audio. DD 2 channel is supported in Produce if you are using Windows 10.

See this FAQ for more information: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=24372 . You may want to check to see if your camera can record video with a different audio format like pcm to be compatible with PD18. You can convert the audio in your video clips using a converter like HandBrake. You can extract the audio on the video clips in the library and save them as .wav files and then to unlink the same videos in the timeline. Remove the original audio and replace it with the newly extracted wav files.

Thank you Tomasc for your prompt reply.

Your 1st assumption is correct. The issue appears triggered by me using WIndows 7 with PD18. Windows 7 with PD16 was never an issue. I guess CL decided W7 was a bit historic and chose to use the OS support which only exists in W10

Yes I will have a look at cameras as I believe I will be able to change video clip format.

I have also converted files - see below.

I cannot extract the audio from the clips in the library as PD18 already deleted audio from the clip during the import phase.
Ooops - slight correction - I CAN extract audio from library clip - but its silent

Faced with 3 choices
A) upgrade my systems to W10 - not the most attractive for the trouble involved when PD18 is the only reason.
B) convert all videos before loading to PD18
C) go for money back and uninstall PD18 back to PD16 - also not attractive

So I have opted for B - where I convert all clips to mp4 using Prism, then (for current project only) manually rename .mp4 back to .mts - this enables PD18 to reload the original project/clips. I will use this for the time being (the extension change being unnecessary for new projects) as well as looking into making cameras use a different format.

Thanks for clarifying the issue.

Worth asking CL if they would consider replacing the code they deleted in moving from PD16 to PD18?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 08. 2020 11:56

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
AlanR47,

You can extract AC3 audio from your video using some free audio editors. Audacity is a free audio editor. You can open a video file that has AC3 audio in Audacity, you get just the Audio track, you can then save that audio as any format you wish such as AAC or Wave. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.