Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need help with green screen, please.
VMK123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 18, 2020 22:30 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm new to video editing and have been watching tutorials on Youtube on how to use the Chroma Key. So far it seems easy; however, my final project shows the moving hands looking like green blur. How can I make it look nice, clear and normal?

Thanks.
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not quite clear the blurring green hands effect you're describing. Can you post a sample of your problem video on YouTube and link to it from this forum so we can see it ourselves? That will make it easier to address the issue.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
A brief sample clip of your video, attached here may be useful. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, I'm new to video editing and have been watching tutorials on Youtube on how to use the Chroma Key. So far it seems easy; however, my final project shows the moving hands looking like green blur. How can I make it look nice, clear and normal?

Thanks.

You might be experiencing motion blur due to using a slow shutter speed. I am not aware of a way to fix this in post but maybe our friends on the forum will have some solutions to offer up once you share the clips with us.

My advice is to re-shoot the footage. Have your subject move slowly to avoid motion blur or shoot at a higher shutter speed and allow them to move how they'd like. Once the footage is imported back into PD you can add a touch of motion blur to make it look more natural but the green screen blur will not be there.
VMK123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 18, 2020 22:30 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm not quite clear the blurring green hands effect you're describing. Can you post a sample of your problem video on YouTube and link to it from this forum so we can see it ourselves? That will make it easier to address the issue.

Hi, I don't have youtube right now, so I tried to send it from my computer instead. I took the video with my cel phone and I'm using Cyberlink PowerDirector 18 trial version. I appreciate if you could answer just a few questions that would greatly help me.

1. Which PowerDirector is the best to use or the most current one?
2. What Green Screen that doesn't wrinkle much and what lights to use is best?
3. What camera is good for taking videos to upload in Youtube?

The project that I'm trying to work on is to produce a music video for my daughter who loves to sing, dance and play piano. I need decent and reasonable priced materials that can do the job well. Thank you very much for responding to my post and for all your help. VMK
MerlinW34 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 24, 2020 08:17 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

Hi, I don't have youtube right now, so I tried to send it from my computer instead. I took the video with my cel phone and I'm using Cyberlink PowerDirector 18 trial version. I appreciate if you could answer just a few questions that would greatly help me.

The project that I'm trying to work on is to produce a music video for my daughter who loves to sing, dance and play piano. I need decent and reasonable priced materials that can do the job well. Thank you very much for responding to my post and for all your help. VMK

All green screens wrinkle. The best thing I've found is to use screen tensioners. Even lighting is essential; I light the screen separately from the subject.

As far as cameras - I've used cellphones, GoPros, DSLRs, mirrorless, and actual video cameras, ranging from consumer to pro. They all have their uses.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]

1. PowerDirector 18 - I prefer using the current version as it has the most up to date features. The Chroma Key tool is not as good as it used to be. PowerDirector 16 has the best Chroma Keyer IMHO. If you don't mind spending the extra money Get PD 18 and the NewBlue Essentials VI which includes a plug-in called Chroma Key pro. Chroma Key Pro Tutorial

2. In my opinion the best green screen options which minimize wrinkles are:

• Paint a wall using green screen paint

• Hang a paper green screen roll

• Use a foam-backed polyester wrinkle resisitant green screen.

• You can use any lights with a high CRI rating as long as you set them up correctly. Watch lighting green screen tutorials on YT

3. There are a plethora of great cameras for YouTube out there. If there was a best camera for YouTube every YouTuber would be using it. I prefer Canon cameras. I have a Canon EOS R and a Canon C200. Create a budget for a camera, do your research around the features of the cameras that suit your needs (4K, FPS, HDR, battery life, etc.), read reviews on those cameras and select from there.

Regardless of all the tools listed here, if you do not know how to use them you can still end up with subpar results. Learning how to use the tools will be essential to obtaining good results.