Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
High Bit rate videos laggy and uneditable
HuntersPad [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2016 23:22 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
I always shoot 4K60, its a pain to edit 4K60 H265 from an iPhone in PowerDirector, even had a few memebers here replicate the issue on there end. Still not fixed to this day.

But new phone new problems, Picked up a OnePlus 8 and 4K60 videos record around 150-160mbps bitrate... Well PowerDirector once again is unusable. Editing it the preview is laggy and unusable.

Here is a video sample if someone will mind to try it themselfs to confirm this issue. Just place the video in the timeline and try and just try and play the time line back and look at the issue..

http://hunterspad.co.uk/downloads/test.mp4

My computer specs are not the issue here

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200mhz
RTX 2080 Super
Running on a Samsung 970 Evo NVME.

Thanks!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It plays back okay on my timeline. Haven't try to edit it yet. My preview resolution is set to high.
HuntersPad [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It plays back okay on my timeline. Haven't try to edit it yet. My preview resolution is set to high.

Thanks for testing! So you dragged it into the timeline then pressed play? It plays fine when previewing. But once I put it in the timeline playing the preview is laggy and choppy.

Are you Intel or AMD? about to try it on my Intel laptop and see how it goes
HuntersPad [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thought I'd update to confirm this is an issue with PowerDirector and AMD CPU's...

Does NOT happen on my 9th gen i5 laptop.

Makes me think twice about this upgrade to the 3900x, BUT the video file does work normally in other video editors
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I see the stuttering after playing about 6 seconds. This is a 4K AVC 120Mbps clip, and the simplest solution is to turn on shadow files and let PD generate a lower resolution working copy for so your timeline editing will be smooth and easy.

You can also convert the clip to an intermediate format like MagicYUV and work with full resolution without any delays.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thought I'd update to confirm this is an issue with PowerDirector and AMD CPU's...

Does NOT happen on my 9th gen i5 laptop.

I do not know what the preview resolution is set on on your i5 laptop. Check the preview quality setting on that Ryzen Desktop. Set it to high and it should work hopefully.
HuntersPad [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I see the stuttering after playing about 6 seconds. This is a 4K AVC 120Mbps clip, and the simplest solution is to turn on shadow files and let PD generate a lower resolution working copy for so your timeline editing will be smooth and easy.

You can also convert the clip to an intermediate format like MagicYUV and work with full resolution without any delays.

I do use shadow files, but once its done processing, it actually makes it 100x worse

It plays just fine, and in the preview window in powerdirector plays just fine, but move it to the timeline a big nope lol

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 26. 2020 21:31

HuntersPad [Avatar]
[Post New]

I do not know what the preview resolution is set on on your i5 laptop. Check the preview quality setting on that Ryzen Desktop. Set it to high and it should work hopefully.

Set to HD on both. AMD lags and barey plays it with a 3900x and 2080 Super, while the laptop on HD plays it smooth as butter with just an i5 and 1050 ti.

Lowering the preview res makes no difference, and once the shadow file process is done, its even worse
HuntersPad [Avatar]
[Post New]
Its the format that AMD and Powerdirector just doesnt like.

Can render the video to mp4 with the same bitrate and its smooth as butter the rendered file editing in the time line
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I do use shadow files, but once its done processing, it actually makes it 100x worse
It plays just fine, and in the preview window in powerdirector plays just fine, but move it to the timeline a big nope lol

Something's very wrong if shadow files make it worse, since you're dealing with lower resolution and much lower bitrates. Take a look at an actual shadow file by going to Settings and click on the Manually Delete button. Find one of the shadow files and upload that to your cloud folder and share a link to it.

Also, you can't compare the playback of normal players (or PD's library preview) to what PD has to do to play clips on the timeline. The operation there is much more compute-intensive because it has to decode every frame and be ready to manipulate the stream forward and back, rather than simply applying the changes going forward from one frame to the next.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

HuntersPad [Avatar]
[Post New]

Something's very wrong if shadow files make it worse, since you're dealing with lower resolution and much lower bitrates. Take a look at an actual shadow file by going to Settings and click on the Manually Delete button. Find one of the shadow files and upload that to your cloud folder and share a link to it.

Also, you can't compare the playback of normal players (or PD's library preview) to what PD has to do to play clips on the timeline. The operation there is much more compute-intensive because it has to decode every frame and be ready to manipulate the stream forward and back, rather than simply applying the changes going forward from one frame to the next.

Something is very wrong, The Shadow file for that video wont even play back in a normal video player.

Also keep in mind this is happening on a fresh install of windows updated drivers, and fresh install of powerdirector

The info on the shadow file video shows 10,000fps

Can you download the orginal and let your create a shadow file?

Also keep in mind videos from my iPhone and S20 work just fine and same goes for there shadow files its only videos from this OnePlus 8 doing this.

Heres the shadow file http://hunterspad.co.uk/downloads/s.mp4
HuntersPad [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just an update, I cleared the shadow files, added that video back in and it created the same messed up shadow file. Add a video not shot with the phone and it created a perfectly fine shadow file
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Just an update, I cleared the shadow files, added that video back in and it created the same messed up shadow file. Add a video not shot with the phone and it created a perfectly fine shadow file

This is definitely something to report to Cyberlink. Why on earth it creates a 1280x720 10kfps 95Mbps clip is beyond me.

You can submit a support request here, and make sure you put the URL of this thread in your description so they can access the source and shadow clips you've shared here.

YouTube/optodata

HuntersPad [Avatar]
[Post New]

This is definitely something to report to Cyberlink. Why on earth it creates a 1280x720 10kfps 95Mbps clip is beyond me.

You can submit a support request here, and make sure you put the URL of this thread in your description so they can access the source and shadow clips you've shared here.

Where you able to reproduce it

EDIT: was able to reproduce the broken shadow file issue on my laptop as well so its deff a PowerDirector bug

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 26. 2020 23:03

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I checked the shadow files created for the uhd 60p GoPro clips at the high preview settings. They are about 1/13 of the original size with the same framerate. Your clip shadow file problem is duplicated here. I beleive the reason for it is non native support for the 2.33:1 aspect ratio cinematic widescreen video of your sample clip. It is not one of the aspect ratio natively supported in PowerDirector. It is something that will have to be fixed by Cyberlink.

For short 2160p60 hevc GoPro clips, I do not use shadow files if there in a HD resolution majority clip timeline anyway. You have stated that your clip can play smoothly in your i5 laptop. I would just edit the video in your AMD Ryzen desktop without shadow files until this is fixed. You may want to try the non realtime display to see if it helps. I don't think that you need shadow files for that clip at all because it is AVC or h.264 with a resolution lower than UHD.
HuntersPad [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I checked the shadow files created for the uhd 60p GoPro clips at the high preview settings. They are about 1/13 of the original size with the same framerate. Your clip shadow file problem is duplicated here. I beleive the reason for it is non native support for the 2.33:1 aspect ratio cinematic widescreen video of your sample clip. It is not one of the aspect ratio natively supported in PowerDirector. It is something that will have to be fixed by Cyberlink.

For short 2160p60 hevc GoPro clips, I do not use shadow files if there in a HD resolution majority clip timeline anyway. You have stated that your clip can play smoothly in your i5 laptop. I would just edit the video in your AMD Ryzen desktop without shadow files until this is fixed. You may want to try the non realtime display to see if it helps. I don't think that you need shadow files for that clip at all because it is AVC or h.264 with a resolution lower than UHD.

Not the aspect ratio. I've shot in that ratio from the iPhone without issue.

Also does it with normal 16:9 clips. The clip above was just the smallest in size I had at the moment to quickly upload

The i5 laptop does the shadow file the same. But without it plays normally. It's not editable on my Ryzen desktop at all even with shadow file enabled.

Works fine in a free video editor without issue though

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 27. 2020 10:31

optodata
[Post New]
I wonder if the preview issue might be related to hyperthreading. Another user saw a big improvement in AMD CPU utilization when HT was disabled in the BIOS, and I think it's worth a try in your case to see if that might make previewing and working with the original clip possible.

YouTube/optodata

HuntersPad [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I wonder if the preview issue might be related to hyperthreading. Another user saw a big improvement in AMD CPU utilization when HT was disabled in the BIOS, and I think it's worth a try in your case to see if that might make previewing and working with the original clip possible.

Thanks for the tip, Just tried it same issue. Hoping Cyberlink can fix this. I've been using Cyberlink PowerDirector for 5 years now.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the tip, Just tried it same issue. Hoping Cyberlink can fix this. I've been using Cyberlink PowerDirector for 5 years now.

I think there's a good chance that they will if they can reproduce the issue with the clips you shared here. You might also want to post the ticket number (it starts with CS) here to make sure they see this thread.

YouTube/optodata

HuntersPad [Avatar]
[Post New]
QuestionID = CS002181365

Got the generic first response stuff sent more info and awaiting as this is clearly a powerdirector problem