Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Poor CPU & GPU Utilisation on a machine built for rendering?
[Post New]
Hello all,

I have been using PowerDirector for about 13 years now (I'm a hobbiest videographer and PC builder) and now on PD17. I recently built a ridiculous rig (Skylake X 7960X 32 thread, OC'ed to 4.5Ghz all core, 32GB Trident Z Royal, GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Pro). I am OCD with my PC building and driver maintainence, and have seen this thing do 100% using all 32GB of ram at times on monster compression jobs. I have no system bottlenecks.

I've seen some posts on the internet about PD being optimised for low-end market PCs. Is this true with why I rarely see my hardware being hit at all now during PD rendering? CPU often sits at 20%, (very sometimes 50% depending on the job) and similar with the GTX.

I'm currently doing a very heavy long render including video speedup, image enhancing, titles, music, overlays, the lot (1920x1080 50p 28Mbit/s). As attached image, CPU is at 9%, Memory at 8.3GB (25%), Disk at 3%, GPU at 50% (Encode 2%, Decode 50%).

Should I be expecting more? Or is it upgrade to Adobe Premier time?

Any pointers?

Cheers guys
Mark
[Thumb - Capture.PNG]
 Filename
Capture.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Task Manager
 Filesize
87 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 25. 2020 16:06

Mark
www.ravenstorm.co.uk
System: Win7 64bit, i7 2600K @ 4.3GHz. GTX 680. 16GB RAM. Revodrive 3 x2 480GB. Nvidia Drivers v331.65
Software: Powerdirector Ultra 11
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Should I be expecting more?

Not from PD when doing any form of image enhancing which you state for your timeline.

You CPU numbers kind of artificially low as PD does not do Hyperthreading well, so you had 20-50% on 32 or really ~40-100% on the physical 16 cores. HT benefit with PD is usually fairly small, on the order of 5-10% encode speedup or so.

Jeff
[Post New]

Not from PD when doing any form of image enhancing which you state for your timeline.

You CPU numbers kind of artificially low as PD does not do Hyperthreading well, so you had 20-50% on 32 or really ~40-100% on the physical 16 cores. HT benefit with PD is usually fairly small, on the order of 5-10% encode speedup or so.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - you are absolutely right. I turned HT off and we have 90-100% CPU Utilisation. Grand! Mark
www.ravenstorm.co.uk
System: Win7 64bit, i7 2600K @ 4.3GHz. GTX 680. 16GB RAM. Revodrive 3 x2 480GB. Nvidia Drivers v331.65
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Jeff - you are absolutely right. I turned HT off and we have 90-100% CPU Utilisation. Grand!

I usually leave HT on as you do get some performance benefit. It's just when looking at CPU utilization with Windows utilities, keep in mind that load % is calculated over the physical and HT processors. So, for processes that can't utilize HT effectively, the highest CPU load one will see is ~50%.

Jeff
[Post New]

I usually leave HT on as you do get some performance benefit. It's just when looking at CPU utilization with Windows utilities, keep in mind that load % is calculated over the physical and HT processors. So, for processes that can't utilize HT effectively, the highest CPU load one will see is ~50%.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

For interest, I did 2 experiments, and decided it varies massively depending on what you're doing;

• did a speed test with the same project - 6:03 render time with HT off, 6:34 render time with HT on (HT slows it down in this case)

• turned HT back on again, and looked at what the CPU did during an upscale (HD rendered in 4K). 100% across 32 threads....

randomness. Mark
www.ravenstorm.co.uk
[Post New]
How do I change my signature in this forum? Can't find it anywhere... (not obvious in My Profile) Mark
www.ravenstorm.co.uk
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote How do I change my signature in this forum? Can't find it anywhere... (not obvious in My Profile)

That feature is not available for members that are ranked as "Newbie" because of spam accounts using the available profile fields for spam links. You need to attain a ranking of "Member" which is 50 posts to gain access to these fields in your "My Profile".

Jeff
[Post New]

That feature is not available for members that are ranked as "Newbie" because of spam accounts using the available profile fields for spam links. You need to attain a ranking of "Member" which is 50 posts to gain access to these fields in your "My Profile".

Jeff

Roger that (there's message #13 ) Mark
www.ravenstorm.co.uk