Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blu-ray playback appears to stall on transitions but not on DVD
Jim T [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2019 12:50 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I have a home movie that is 59:45 long and am using PD17 with patch V.3005 when I burn it on DVD it plays flawlessly. When i burn it to Blu-ray, it stalls in 7 different transitions between clips. 1 in the first 15 minutes, the second within the first 45 min, the other 5 in the last 10 min, all duringing transitions. I have 50 Gig or more free disk space. and 8 gig of memory on an I5 processor. I wrote down the times of each stall and went back through the movie and deleted each transition and added it back again. I had run into this before and this approach seemed to work. But it may have been disk space issue back then as I only had 9 Gig free then.

I don't know what to try next. All suggestions appreaciated. Thank you for you time.

Sincerely, JT
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds like you should try producing with the Fast video rendering technology box unchecked.

For more assistance on how to resolve the issue, please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and attach the DxDiag file so we can see the details of your computer.
Jim T [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sounds like you should try producing with the Fast video rendering technology box unchecked.

For more assistance on how to resolve the issue, please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and attach the DxDiag file so we can see the details of your computer.

Thank you for your reply. here is an update. ...

The FAST VIDEO RENDERING TECHNOLOGY BOX was not present on the screens I saw before burning the Blu-ray. I did reburn it last night using SMARTFIT instead of 1920x1080/60i (26Mbps). Still stalls in same spots.

I am now about to read the sticky thread above and find the DxDiag file. Thank you so much for helping me. Sincerely. JT
Jim T [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thank you for your reply. here is an update. ...

The FAST VIDEO RENDERING TECHNOLOGY BOX was not present on the screens I saw before burning the Blu-ray. I did reburn it last night using SMARTFIT instead of 1920x1080/60i (26Mbps). Still stalls in same spots.

I am now about to read the sticky thread above and find the DxDiag file. Thank you so much for helping me. Sincerely. JT

DxDiag file is attached. and some settings files. Which screen should the Fast Video Rendering Technology Box appear in if is available to me?

Thank you.
[Thumb - Capture PDsettings.PNG]
 Filename
Capture PDsettings.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
101 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
123 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
169 time(s)
[Thumb - CapturePDsettings2.PNG]
 Filename
CapturePDsettings2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
87 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for all the details.

It's been many years since I burned any kind of disc, and the Fast video render tech checkbox I was referring to only appears on the main Produce page, which you aren't using. Based on your DxDiag file, the box I'm referring to is specifically called Enable Intel Quick Sync Video on the Final Outout screen, which appears after clicking on the Burn in 2D button:

When that box is checked, PD will use the hardware encoder built in to your i5-8250 CPU, whereas leaving that box unchecked will force PD to use only software to produce the video, which will typically take longer than using hardware encoding. If unchecking the box solves your issue, it will tell us that the issue is being caused by hardware encoding.

Once you have that info, I'd suggest addressing these 3 things that stand out in your DxDiag results:

1. The video driver you're using (the version number ends with .7325) dates from last October, while the current release (.8280) is only 1 month old. You can download the latest version directly from Intel here

2. The ASUS website support page for your system also shows there have been 2 BIOS revisions since yours was last updated, and it may be worth updating to v310. There is an older VGA driver version available from that page, but I'd go with the newer one from Intel

3. The final issue concerns the many kinds of app crashes listed at the end of the DxDiag results. Three seem to be problems with the Windows Store, an HP printer app and Windows services among others. Often these kinds of issues are caused by damaged system files and the easiest thing to try are the 2 steps described in this post.

Any or all of these steps may resolve the transition issue you're seeing and should hopefully let you use Quick Sync when creating discs again.
Jim T [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks very much for all the details.

It's been many years since I burned any kind of disc, and the Fast video render tech checkbox I was referring to only appears on the main Produce page, which you aren't using. Based on your DxDiag file, the box I'm referring to is specifically called Enable Intel Quick Sync Video on the Final Outout screen, which appears after clicking on the Burn in 2D button:

When that box is checked, PD will use the hardware encoder built in to your i5-8250 CPU, whereas leaving that box unchecked will force PD to use only software to produce the video, which will typically take longer than using hardware encoding. If unchecking the box solves your issue, it will tell us that the issue is being caused by hardware encoding.

Once you have that info, I'd suggest addressing these 3 things that stand out in your DxDiag results:

1. The video driver you're using (the version number ends with .7325) dates from last October, while the current release (.8280) is only 1 month old. You can download the latest version directly from Intel here

2. The ASUS website support page for your system also shows there have been 2 BIOS revisions since yours was last updated, and it may be worth updating to v310. There is an older VGA driver version available from that page, but I'd go with the newer one from Intel

3. The final issue concerns the many kinds of app crashes listed at the end of the DxDiag results. Three seem to be problems with the Windows Store, an HP printer app and Windows services among others. Often these kinds of issues are caused by damaged system files and the easiest thing to try are the 2 steps described in this post.

Any or all of these steps may resolve the transition issue you're seeing and should hopefully let you use Quick Sync when creating discs again.

Thank you so much. I will go through them one at a time and when the fix happens i will let you know.
Again, your help is so appreciated. You and your family stay well.

Sincerely, Jim Towne
Jim T [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thank you so much. I will go through them one at a time and when the fix happens i will let you know.
Again, your help is so appreciated. You and your family stay well.

Sincerely, Jim Towne

Unchecking the Enable Intel Quick Sync Video box WORKED. Hallujah! lol. I reburnt the Blu-ray and all 7 pauses are gone. Thank you so much. This is great. So iburnt another one on M-Disc. This marks the completion of a 500 hour home movie project of 10 1-hr Blurays. I appreciate this so much.

Item 1 that you suggested. I did exactly what you said and when i tried to install the video driver the system refused it. I have attached the file. So I went to the device manager. and told it to update the driver and it said it was uptodate at version 7325 BUT indicated that 7325 version was frim January of 2020. Hmmm. Seems uptodate? I believe my laptop is an ASUS VivoBook 15 X510UA, NOT a X510UAR. Could that have been the issue?

Item 2. While i was in the device manager I rt clicked on fimware and it updated to v311. Awesome.

Item 3. The final sfc and dism commands ran and fixed a few things. the output is attached.

2 final questions...

1. Is my video driver really up to date? Do you think i should try? I would like to recheck the Enable Intel Quick Sync Video box and know it was a device driver issue for sure. Please advise

2. Do you think the root cause of this issues is: The video driver or the Bios Firmware?

When something gets fixed I always like to pin down the root cause so then its easier for the next person who encounters the issue. Thank you so much for your time and effort.
Sincerely, Jim Towne
[Thumb - Capture8280 video driver.PNG]
 Filename
Capture8280 video driver.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - Capture sfc and dism output.PNG]
 Filename
Capture sfc and dism output.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
63 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
Jim T [Avatar]
[Post New]

Unchecking the Enable Intel Quick Sync Video box WORKED. Hallujah! lol. I reburnt the Blu-ray and all 7 pauses are gone. Thank you so much. This is great. So iburnt another one on M-Disc. This marks the completion of a 500 hour home movie project of 10 1-hr Blurays. I appreciate this so much.

Item 1 that you suggested. I did exactly what you said and when i tried to install the video driver the system refused it. I have attached the file. So I went to the device manager. and told it to update the driver and it said it was uptodate at version 7325 BUT indicated that 7325 version was frim January of 2020. Hmmm. Seems uptodate? I believe my laptop is an ASUS VivoBook 15 X510UA, NOT a X510UAR. Could that have been the issue?

Item 2. While i was in the device manager I rt clicked on fimware and it updated to v311. Awesome.

Item 3. The final sfc and dism commands ran and fixed a few things. the output is attached.

2 final questions...

1. Is my video driver really up to date? Do you think i should try? I would like to recheck the Enable Intel Quick Sync Video box and know it was a device driver issue for sure. Please advise

2. Do you think the root cause of this issues is: The video driver or the Bios Firmware?

When something gets fixed I always like to pin down the root cause so then its easier for the next person who encounters the issue. Thank you so much for your time and effort.
Sincerely, Jim Towne

P.S. I am about to reburn the same movie on a Blu-ray RE with the Enable Intel Quick Sync Video enbled. I will let you know the result.

Stay well...
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Please note the time it takes for the Burning Succesful message to appear. Look at the time elapsed and write it down and compare them with the Intel Quick Sync checked and unchecked. In the past all of my created BD are fast like a 3hr disc created in less than 1 hour by not using the Intel Quick Sync because my videos are all SVRT compliant. It takes longer to create them with the Intel QS encoding.

Right now I create the BD from a streaming source which are not SVRT compliant and must be re-encoded. The Intel QS shortens the encoding time.
Jim T [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Please note the time it takes for the Burning Succesful message to appear. Look at the time elapsed and write it down and compare them with the Intel Quick Sync checked and unchecked. In the past all of my created BD are fast like a 3hr disc created in less than 1 hour by not using the Intel Quick Sync because my videos are all SVRT compliant. It takes longer to create them with the Intel QS encoding.

Right now I create the BD from a streaming source which are not SVRT compliant and must be re-encoded. The Intel QS shortens the encoding time.

Thank you for your reply above. I will note the times the next time I burn one. I just checked the one I burnt with the Intel Quick Sync checked and the stalls are back and not fixed by what we did so far. Dissappointing.

Again thank you for all your help. IF you have any more ideas please let me know.

Sincerely, Jim T
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Unchecking the Enable Intel Quick Sync Video box WORKED. Hallujah!
I believe my laptop is an ASUS VivoBook 15 X510UA, NOT a X510UAR. Could that have been the issue?

I'm really glad to hear that worked!

I copied the model number directly from the DxDiag results, and it's also listed explicitly in the BIOS version so I imagine that's the correct description. However, the exact model number isn't related to why the latest Intel video driver didn't load.

Many manufacturers, like Dell, HP and now Asus, try to prevent users from installing "generic" video drivers. They usually claim that they have to rigorously test the new drivers and/or add some cumstomized functionality before "certifying" them to be installed. Since 7325 is the latest driver available from Asus for your system, you'll need to work with that. Check back on that support page every month or so to see if they've got a newer version available.

Quote 2 final questions...

Go ahead and try it with Quick Sync enabled. It's possible that one or more of the steps you performed has made a difference, and in my experience all are important even if one specifically resolved the main issue.

If you get the stalled transition issue again, I'd suggest filing a report with Cyberlink to see what they say. PD17 is still supported and they may be able to make a patch if there's something wrong with the program. They may also have other troubleshooting or updating steps that can resolve the issue.

Let us know how it goes!
Jim T [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'm really glad to hear that worked!

I copied the model number directly from the DxDiag results, and it's also listed explicitly in the BIOS version so I imagine that's the correct description. However, the exact model number isn't related to why the latest Intel video driver didn't load.

Many manufacturers, like Dell, HP and now Asus, try to prevent users from installing "generic" video drivers. They usually claim that they have to rigorously test the new drivers and/or add some cumstomized functionality before "certifying" them to be installed. Since 7325 is the latest driver available from Asus for your system, you'll need to work with that. Check back on that support page every month or so to see if they've got a newer version available.

Go ahead and try it with Quick Sync enabled. It's possible that one or more of the steps you performed has made a difference, and in my experience all are important even if one specifically resolved the main issue.

If you get the stalled transition issue again, I'd suggest filing a report with Cyberlink to see what they say. PD17 is still supported and they may be able to make a patch if there's something wrong with the program. They may also have other troubleshooting or updating steps that can resolve the issue.

Let us know how it goes!

I was thinking I might try one more thing before I file a report with Cyberlink, using the Intel DSA - Driver and suppot assistant. Just wanted your opinion before I try to use it to try to upate the video driver to a newer version than ASUS supports. You indicated the hardware encoder is build into the I5-8250 so I though flashing the BIOS firmware could have a chance of fixing this.

Does the Quick Sync check box use the video card hardware at all?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Do you think this is worrth trying? or too risky?

Thank you. Jim T.
optodata
[Post New]
Quick Sync is the dedicated video encoding/decoding hardware built-in to newer Intel CPUs. If you had an add-on GPU from AMD or nVidia, you would have different options listed. For example, nVidia cards will have "Hardware video encoder" displayed instead of Intel Quick Sync.

All hardware encoding requires the Fast video rendering technology box checked, as does SVRT (but that's a special case where only a minor amount of video is changed and PD can basically just copy the source clip's contents to the produced file without any processing).

When the Fast box is unchecked, the CPU will do all the producing using PD software and won't use any hardware even if it's available. Using hardware encoding is usually much faster than using the CPU, however there are times when the finshed video quality suffers noticeably, or glitches like you've experienced can show up.

You can try the Intel upgrade assistant as it shouldn't break anything. However, it's always a good idea to have a backup system image ready to restore your system in case anything goes wrong.

That's my bottom line - even in day-to-day use and not just when updating drivers or installing new apps. I've been burned too many times and I generally keep 3-6 backups spaced roughly 1 week apart so I can go back if something goes wrong.

Windows built-in restore points will usually do the trick and there are several free and low cost apps that will let you recover your system even if Windows becomes unbootable. Macrium Reflect has a free version for home use.
Jim T [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Quick Sync is the dedicated video encoding/decoding hardware built-in to newer Intel CPUs. If you had an add-on GPU from AMD or nVidia, you would have different options listed. For example, nVidia cards will have "Hardware video encoder" displayed instead of Intel Quick Sync.

All hardware encoding requires the Fast video rendering technology box checked, as does SVRT (but that's a special case where only a minor amount of video is changed and PD can basically just copy the source clip's contents to the produced file without any processing).

When the Fast box is unchecked, the CPU will do all the producing using PD software and won't use any hardware even if it's available. Using hardware encoding is usually much faster than using the CPU, however there are times when the finshed video quality suffers noticeably, or glitches like you've experienced can show up.

You can try the Intel upgrade assistant as it shouldn't break anything. However, it's always a good idea to have a backup system image ready to restore your system in case anything goes wrong.

That's my bottom line - even in day-to-day use and not just when updating drivers or installing new apps. I've been burned too many times and I generally keep 3-6 backups spaced roughly 1 week apart so I can go back if something goes wrong.

Windows built-in restore points will usually do the trick and there are several free and low cost apps that will let you recover your system even if Windows becomes unbootable. Macrium Reflect has a free version for home use.

Just wanted to say a final thank you for your time and patience. and awesome teaching. I have learned alot. And my movies have no stalls or pauses any more.

Stay well.
Sincerely,
Jim T