Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AVCHD discs made by PowerDirector 17 on Win 10 won't play in BluRay players
DaveR1954 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 17, 2017 22:06 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

My first post here.

I used Power Director 13 for some years on Windows 7, and had no problems producing AVCHD discs and playing them on our Panasonic DMR-BWT700 BluRay recorder/players (bought in 2012). I upgraded to Win 10 last year on a new PC, and also upgraded to PowerDirector 17. Last week I produced my new 7 minute project to AVCHD disc for the first time with PD17 on Win10, and it won't play on either of our 2 DMR-BWT700s, but it will play on my PC. The BluRay players seem to know they have an AVCHD disc to play, but they don't display the menu.

I burnt this disc as: AVCHD, 16:9, H.264 1920x1080/50i 17Mbps, LPCM, 2CH (our TV system is PAL)

I then tried disc 2 with the only change being to select Dolby Digital 2CH audio, with the same result.

I then opened an older project that I had successfully burnt to AVCHD disc on my old Win 7 PC, and burnt that to disc 3 with the same settings as disc 2 - same result again.

I then burnt the new project to disc 4 as a DVD, and that works fine on the DMR-BWT700.

I contacted Cyberlink support and they suggested I clean out my C:\Windows\temp folder as well as the recycle bin (I currently have 240GB free on my 1TB SSD), and uninstall CDBurnerXP.

As they suggested, I burnt AVCHD disc 4 with the new project at 8x speed with Create a folder selected. It does not play on our DVRs, but does play in the PC.

I did as above for AVCHD disc 5, but also selected No Menu. It does not play on the DVRs, but does play on the PC.

Cyberlink support have concluded the fault is with the BluRay players.

I've had no error messages while making these discs in PD17.

On Sunday I took the discs to our local shopping centre and tried them in a couple of new Panasonic BluRay players, and they did not play.

My Win 10 version is currently v1909 build 18363.778. My PD 17 version is 17.0.3005.0.

I don't understand what I am doing wrong. What has changed between PD13 on Win7 and PD17 on Win 10?

I'm down to my last 3 ideas! Contact this forum, burn the new project to AVCHD disc with one of the supplied menus, and uninstall/reinstall PD17.

Thanks

Dave
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote As they suggested, I burnt AVCHD disc 4 with the new project at 8x speed with Create a folder selected. It does not play on our DVRs, but does play in the PC.

Makes no sense. Burn speed means nothing when you are creating a folder. If by chance you had "Burn a disc" and "Create a folder" selected, it still means nothing as you didn't use any aspect of the folder that was created if you simply tried the PD burned disc.

Not knowing what computer hardware you have, I'd make sure pref > Hardware Acceleration, decode option is not checked. In the "Create Disc" module, make sure "Enable hardware video encoder" at the bottom of the "Burn in 2D" dialog is not selected if available. I'd then use the "Create a folder" option and use any valid 3rd party burn utility or Windows Explorer to burn this "BDMV" folder to DVD and see if that performs any better in your player.

The above created disc will play on many players but not all, PS3 for instance will have issue with current firmware.

EDIT: Also what type of disc's are you using DVD+R or -R?

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 22. 2020 22:05

DaveR1954 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Makes no sense. Burn speed means nothing when you are creating a folder. If by chance you had "Burn a disc" and "Create a folder" selected, it still means nothing as you didn't use any aspect of the folder that was created if you simply tried the PD burned disc.

Not knowing what computer hardware you have, I'd make sure pref > Hardware Acceleration, decode option is not checked. In the "Create Disc" module, make sure "Enable hardware video encoder" at the bottom of the "Burn in 2D" dialog is not selected if available. I'd then use the "Create a folder" option and use any valid 3rd party burn utility or Windows Explorer to burn this "BDMV" folder to DVD and see if that performs any better in your player.

The above created disc will play on many players but not all, PS3 for instance will have issue with current firmware.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I'll try your suggestions. For the record, my PC hardware is:

Intel Core i7-9700k 3.6-4.6GHz 8 Core CPU
Adata 8GB DDR4 2666 DIMM
Gigabyte GA-Z390- series ATX Motherboard
Asus 24x DVD-RW Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
ADATA 1TB SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 SSD
Windows 10 64-bit Home (currently v1909 build 18363.900)

And I use Verbatim DVD-R.

Cheers

Dave

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 22. 2020 22:45

DaveR1954 [Avatar]
[Post New]

EDIT: Also what type of disc's are you using DVD+R or -R?

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I turned off Hardware Acceleration and Enable hardware video decoder and then used the Create a folder option. I burnt the folder structure to a DVD-R using CDBurnerXP, but the DVR says Disc Incompatible. It does play in my PC.

Cheers

Dave
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It is possible that the disc burning is UDF 1.02 instead of 2.5 or 2.6. According to the forum for CDBurnerXP, AVCHD Disc may not be possible: https://forum.cdburnerxp.se/topic/8337-udf-25-on-dvd-rw/ .

I create AVCHD Discs that play in my standalone BD player using imgburn and a BR-RW drive using the right settings.
DaveR1954 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It is possible that the disc burning is UDF 1.02 instead of 2.5 or 2.6. According to the forum for CDBurnerXP, AVCHD Disc may not be possible: https://forum.cdburnerxp.se/topic/8337-udf-25-on-dvd-rw/ .

I create AVCHD Discs that play in my standalone BD player using imgburn and a BR-RW drive using the right settings.

I actually burnt 2 discs. I've never created the folder structure first and burnt it to a DVD, so I had trouble working out how to do it from Windows Explorer, which is why I used CDBurnerXP to burn AVCHD disc 7. This plays in my PC, but not in my DVR. However, the playback on the PC looks like SD, not HD. It's quite fuzzy. Now I know why.

I had another go and worked out how to use Windows Explorer to burn AVCHD disc 8, but with the same result. Plays in the PC with fuzzy picture (like SD), but not in the DVR.

One strange thing, all the AVCHD discs I've burnt have about the same amount of disc space used, except for disc 8, which has only about half that amount used. Maybe I made a mistake?!

This afternoon I uninstalled and reinstalled PD17, opting to keep my personal data. I then burnt AVCHD disc 9 with the hardware decoding enabled and optimized, and the hardware video encoder enabled, but with no other changes to the show. The disc plays in the PC, but not in the DVR.

I then checked the menu preferences and noticed that Include menu opening video was checked, even thought my custom menu doesn't have an opening video. I unchecked this option and burnt disc 10, but with the same result as for disc 9.

I thought that maybe my custom menu might be the problem. Using the same show, I applied one of the supplied standard menus, checked the Include opening video option (as this menu had one), and burnt disc 11. Same result as above.

I think I'll download imgBurn and try that.

Thanks for your help

Dave
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I actually burnt 2 discs. I've never created the folder structure first and burnt it to a DVD, so I had trouble working out how to do it from Windows Explorer, which is why I used CDBurnerXP to burn AVCHD disc 7. This plays in my PC, but not in my DVR. However, the playback on the PC looks like SD, not HD. It's quite fuzzy. Now I know why.

Why? Having the wrong disc UDF format will not make something fuzzy, it will make the disc unreadable in a standalone player.

Quote This afternoon I uninstalled and reinstalled PD17, opting to keep my personal data. I then burnt AVCHD disc 9 with the hardware decoding enabled and optimized, and the hardware video encoder enabled, but with no other changes to the show. The disc plays in the PC, but not in the DVR.

I think you maybe need to post some screen shots, in no way can you enable hardware video encoder in the "Create Disc" module if you are utilizing your Nvidia GTX 1650, CL disabled that for Nvidia users in PD14 patch and they never corrected and made available again. Are you by chance using your iGPU? Screen shots would help understand you situation a little more.

Since you tried no menu option in OP and that failed to play too, I don't believe anything related to menu is causing your issue at this time.

I just burned a sample and found it works in 3 different standalone BD players so issue somewhat localized perhaps. Have you tried with just some PD17 CL supplied sample library clips a debug?

Jeff
DaveR1954 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Why? Having the wrong disc UDF format will not make something fuzzy, it will make the disc unreadable in a standalone player.

I think you maybe need to post some screen shots, in no way can you enable hardware video encoder in the "Create Disc" module if you are utilizing your Nvidia GTX 1650, CL disabled that for Nvidia users in PD14 patch and they never corrected and made available again. Are you by chance using your iGPU? Screen shots would help understand you situation a little more.

Since you tried no menu option in OP and that failed to play too, I don't believe anything related to menu is causing your issue at this time.

I just burned a sample and found it works in 3 different standalone BD players so issue somewhat localized perhaps. Have you tried with just some PD17 CL supplied sample library clips a debug?

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Here are today's test results!

1. Opened PD 13 on my old Win7 PC and compared the Edit > Preferences menus. The only difference was that HW Decoding was enabled in PD17 (I've since turned it off). Also compared the Create Disc Menu Preferences for the same show in both versions, and they were the same. The only difference in the Burn dialog was that HW video encoder was enabled in PD17 (and now disabled).

2. I then started a new show in PD17 and added a default sample clip to the timeline several times (the skateboarding one). I added 4 chapters and went to the Create Disc screen, where I went with the default World Monopoly menu. I checked the menu structure but didn't change anything. I burnt an AVCHD disc at 1920x1080/50i. When I put it in the DVR, it tried to play the opening menu video, but failed and displayed a light magenta screen instead. After some seconds, the top menu appeared. The menu worked and the disc plays.

3. I looked at the menu preferences and enabled Motion Thumbnails (didn't think it would help, but you never know!) and burnt another disc the same way. Same result. The menu video plays in PD17's preview.

So, there is some progress. I've attached screenshots of 3 of the disc 11 menus (3 is the max).

One more thing, I compared the folders/files on 2 AVCHD discs with the same show: one made in July last year with PD13 on Win7 (which plays on our DVRs), and the second burnt with PD17 on Win10 a week or so ago (as a test disc). I copied screenshots of the folder/file structure into a CorelDraw file to make up a tree for each disc, printed them out and compared them. They are exactly the same, except for some video files in the Stream folder being slightly larger on the new disc. This has got me baffled!

Thanks for your help

Dave

(26.6.20 corrected HW Encoding to HW Decoding in first para)
[Thumb - AVCHD_12_screen_menu_pref.jpg]
 Filename
AVCHD_12_screen_menu_pref.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Create Disc Menu Prefs screen
 Filesize
301 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - AVCHD_12_screen_2D_disc.jpg]
 Filename
AVCHD_12_screen_2D_disc.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Create Disc 2D disc screen
 Filesize
261 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 25. 2020 19:47

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please post either the entire screen by clicking PowerDirector in the upper right hand corner or the entire screen after clicking "Burn in 2D". I'm still unclear if you are using your iGPU, are you?

Statements like:
"Edit > Preferences menus. The only difference was that HW Encoding was enabled in PD17"
are very confusing as there are no specific encoding terminology there, only decoding phrase.

And then this statement:
"The only difference in the Burn dialog was that HW video encoder was enabled in PD17 (and now disabled)."
this makes me think you have the "Enable hardware video encoder" selection available on the "Burn in 2D" window. If so you are definitely using the iGPU as I said that "Enable hardware video encoder" option is not selectable with a Nvidia GPU like your GTX1650 if you are using it.

This could be important as several issues appeared to have existed in the "Create Disc" module that involved the iGPU drivers. It appears the issue may not be exact driver version, but a reinstallation of drivers have even fixed some anomalies.

Jeff
DaveR1954 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Please post either the entire screen by clicking PowerDirector in the upper right hand corner or the entire screen after clicking "Burn in 2D". I'm still unclear if you are using your iGPU, are you?

Statements like:
"Edit > Preferences menus. The only difference was that HW Encoding was enabled in PD17"
are very confusing as there are no specific encoding terminology there, only decoding phrase.

And then this statement:
"The only difference in the Burn dialog was that HW video encoder was enabled in PD17 (and now disabled)."
this makes me think you have the "Enable hardware video encoder" selection available on the "Burn in 2D" window. If so you are definitely using the iGPU as I said that "Enable hardware video encoder" option is not selectable with a Nvidia GPU like your GTX1650 if you are using it.

This could be important as several issues appeared to have existed in the "Create Disc" module that involved the iGPU drivers. It appears the issue may not be exact driver version, but a reinstallation of drivers have even fixed some anomalies.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Sorry, my mistake. That should read "The only difference was that HW Decoding was enabled in PD17".

And, yes, the option "Enable hardware video encoder" does appear in the Final Output dialog. I attached that screenshot to my previous post, but I see it's not there now. I'll attach it again.

I think I understand what you mean now. If PD17 is using the GTX 1650, that option would not appear. The fact that it does appear therefore indicates that it's using the GPU on the motherboard?

Cheers

Dave
[Thumb - AVCHD_12_menu_burn_disc.jpg]
 Filename
AVCHD_12_menu_burn_disc.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I think I understand what you mean now. If PD17 is using the GTX 1650, that option would not appear. The fact that it does appear therefore indicates that it's using the GPU on the motherboard?

That is correct. Additionally, you can verify by clicking the PowerDirector icon in upper right corner and compare to this older PD14 pic I've attached for reference. My guess you will see the blue Intel icon.

If you are using the iGPU, I'd consider checking the version of your drivers for your i7-9700k Intel UHD Graphics 630 iGPU and update or reinstall and see if that helps.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD14_GPU_used.png]
 Filename
PD14_GPU_used.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
98 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
DaveR1954 [Avatar]
[Post New]

That is correct. Additionally, you can verify by clicking the PowerDirector icon in upper right corner and compare to this older PD14 pic I've attached for reference. My guess you will see the blue Intel icon.

If you are using the iGPU, I'd consider checking the version of your drivers for your i7-9700k Intel UHD Graphics 630 iGPU and update or reinstall and see if that helps.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I've attached a screenshot of the About PowerDirector dialog. It definitely shows the NVIDIA logo. I'll look into updating the graphics drivers.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I wanted to keep my custom titles when I uninstalled PD17, so I googled where they were, and made a copy of that folder. However, when I uninstalled PD, I opted to keep my personal data when prompted, so I didn't need that backup folder. But now that I've checked C:\Users\Reynolds\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\17.0, I find that there's only 1 custom title there, the others are still in C:\Users\Reynolds\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\13.0. My custom titles are still available in PD17, so it must be getting them from both folders. Is that a problem?

Cheers

Dave
[Thumb - PowerDirector_17_version_info.jpg]
 Filename
PowerDirector_17_version_info.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
67 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - PowerDirector_13+17_custom_title_folders.jpg]
 Filename
PowerDirector_13+17_custom_title_folders.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 25. 2020 20:14

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've attached a screenshot of the About PowerDirector dialog. It definitely shows the NVIDIA logo. I'll look into updating the graphics drivers.

You are correct, that error is on me, apologize for that. They removed H.264 Nvidia hardware encoding for BD disc but not AVCHD, that's a little strange but it is what it is.

I really don't have any other suggestions, I guess you could try NTSC since your DMR-BWT700 plays either and see if issue persists.

That GPU error is on me, sorry about that.

Jeff
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome to the forum.

make sure your Blu-ray players are AVCHD 2.0 compliant and recheck Select the video encoding format quality: HD1920x1080/24p or HD1920x1080/60i

when i've burned using HD1920x1080/60p gave me an error message that my Blu-ray players do not support AVCHD 2.0 discs; however, 24p and 60i played flawlessly.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garabge in garbage out'
[Thumb - 20200627_193526.jpg]
 Filename
20200627_193526.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
AVCHD 2.0 non-compliant error message
 Filesize
999 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 27. 2020 21:49

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
DaveR1954 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote welcome to the forum.

make sure your Blu-ray players are AVCHD 2.0 compliant and recheck Select the video encoding format quality: HD1920x1080/24p or HD1920x1080/60i

when i've burned using HD1920x1080/60p gave me an error message that my Blu-ray players do not support AVCHD 2.0 discs; however, 24p and 60i played flawlessly.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garabge in garbage out'

Hi

I'm in New Zealand, so have set my Timeline frame rate in Preferences to 25 FPS (PAL).

When I go to burn an AVCHD disc, in the Create Disc > 2D Disc menu I always select HD 1920 x 1080/50i (17 Mbps).

I've attached a couple of screenshots to show this.

The manual for the DMR-BWT700 does not state which version of AVCHD it supports (just "AVCHD"), and I can't find any more specific information on the web. I think that model was released in 2011, and we bought ours in 2012.

But even a new Panasonic BluRay player wouldn't play my test disc.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dave
[Thumb - PowerDirector_17_screen_general_preferences.jpg]
 Filename
PowerDirector_17_screen_general_preferences.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
73 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - PowerDirector_17_screen_AVCHD_settings.jpg]
 Filename
PowerDirector_17_screen_AVCHD_settings.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
89 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote When I go to burn an AVCHD disc, in the Create Disc > 2D Disc menu I always select HD 1920 x 1080/50i (17 Mbps).

I've attached a couple of screenshots to show this.

But even a new Panasonic BluRay player wouldn't play my test disc.

I have been successfully making AVCHD Discs with PowerDirector since 2011. PD17 is my favorite as Dolby Digital audio is supported allowing more headroom for the videos. You may want to Create a Folder and then use ImgBurn(freeware) to burn and verify the disc.

Try this: Uncheck both checkboxes in Preferences/Hardware acceleration. In the Final burn window do not check the hardware video encoder. Use only cpu encoding on your next disc and it should work in any Blu-ray players that support AVCHD Discs.

I create AVCHD 2.0 Discs all the time and they are compatible with my Sony but not my Digitek BD player. The message that PepsiMan attachment is what I get in the Digitek player.
DaveR1954 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I have been successfully making AVCHD Discs with PowerDirector since 2011. PD17 is my favorite as Dolby Digital audio is supported allowing more headroom for the videos. You may want to Create a Folder and then use ImgBurn(freeware) to burn and verify the disc.

Try this: Uncheck both checkboxes in Preferences/Hardware acceleration. In the Final burn window do not check the hardware video encoder. Use only cpu encoding on your next disc and it should work in any Blu-ray players that support AVCHD Discs.

I create AVCHD 2.0 Discs all the time and they are compatible with my Sony but not my Digitek BD player. The message that PepsiMan attachment is what I get in the Digitek player.

Success!!!!!!

Today I updated my graphics card driver and then did a couple of tests. In all cases Enable hardware decoding/encoding is off.

1. Imported a few clips from my Canon HF G10 to a new project. Selected a standard menu, no chapters. Created a Folder and burnt an AVCHD disc with ImgBurn. Disc played in our DVR.

2. Imported a few more Canon clips and inserted 3 chapter markers. Applied one of my custom menus and proceeded as above. Disc played and menu worked.

3. Opened the project I wanted to put on an AVCHD disk in the first place, Created a Folder and burnt the disc with ImgBurn. Plays with no problems.

So, whether it's the driver update, or just using ImgBurn, or both, I don't know. But it looks like the problem is solved.

Thanks to all who answered and gave advice.

Now to work out why my Win10 PC won't sleep.undecided

Cheers

Davesmile

Edit 15 July 2020
I found out that PowerDVD 20 was stopping the PC from sleeping. I uninstalled it, and the PC now sleeps as it is set up to do. I only installed PowerDVD at the request of Cyberlink Support to help their troubleshooting.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2020 19:28

.Relentless. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2020 09:38 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]

Success!!!!!!

Today I updated my graphics card driver and then did a couple of tests. In all cases Enable hardware decoding/encoding is off.

1. Imported a few clips from my Canon HF G10 to a new project. Selected a standard menu, no chapters. Created a Folder and burnt an AVCHD disc with ImgBurn. Disc played in our DVR.

2. Imported a few more Canon clips and inserted 3 chapter markers. Applied one of my custom menus and proceeded as above. Disc played and menu worked.

3. Opened the project I wanted to put on an AVCHD disk in the first place, Created a Folder and burnt the disc with ImgBurn. Plays with no problems.

So, whether it's the driver update, or just using ImgBurn, or both, I don't know. But it looks like the problem is solved.

Thanks to all who answered and gave advice.

Now to work out why my Win10 PC won't sleep.undecided

Cheers

Just so I'm clear, you did not burn the AVCHD via PD, but another program, Imageburn? So you still can't burn a readable dvd to be played on a normal dvd player via PD or are you referring to a blue ray player?
Thanks for the insight as I am learning and having a similiar issue.
Cheers

Davesmile
DaveR1954 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just so I'm clear,
you did not burn the AVCHD via PD, but another program, Imageburn? So
you still can't burn a readable dvd to be played on a normal dvd player
via PD or are you referring to a blue ray player?

Thanks for the insight as I am learning and having a similiar issue.

Cheers

That's correct. When I got to the Final Ouput dialog, I selected only Create a folder. I then used ImgBurn to burn the folders onto the DVD to create an AVCHD disc.
I haven't burnt any discs since my last tests, but I'm fairly confident that PD17 will burn a DVD that will play in a normal DVD player. However, I no longer trust it to burn an AVCHD disc that will play in our BluRay player/recorders.
From now on I am going down the path of creating a folder and then using ImgBurn to actually create the AVCHD disc. It looks like a good program, with useful prompts if you forget to set something correctly.
Cheers
Dave