Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dolby Atmos Support?
DESTRUCTO86 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 11, 2019 20:11 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Anyone who upgraded can confirm that PowerDVD 20 supports Atmos? Or is the stream downcovereted to standard dolby 5.1?
Nedywest [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 30, 2015 12:45 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
There is an Option to "NONE DECODED BITSTREAM" to choose when Play HD Audio. You have to Thick it when you start the movie as Power DVD default is " let power DVD to convert ..." something.
While with the older version PowerDVD use to remember your choice PowerDVD 20 ALWAYS REVERT to conversion upon restart.
Your AVR or TV have to be able to process HD Audio in order to have the option of "nene decoded Audio stream" to pop up in the Player (Audio) settings.
DESTRUCTO86 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There is an Option to "NONE DECODED BITSTREAM" to choose when Play HD Audio. You have to Thick it when you start the movie as Power DVD default is " let power DVD to convert ..." something.
While with the older version PowerDVD use to remember your choice PowerDVD 20 ALWAYS REVERT to conversion upon restart.
Your AVR or TV have to be able to process HD Audio in order to have the option of "nene decoded Audio stream" to pop up in the Player (Audio) settings.

I'm familiar with the function, that being said, when doing this in powerdvd19 the non-decoded stream does not recognize dolby atmos tracks and downgrades to truehd or surround.

So if anyone has tried this out in powerdvd20, let me know if your AV says that it's using dolby atmos.
Nedywest [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'm familiar with the function, that being said, when doing this in powerdvd19 the non-decoded stream does not recognize dolby atmos tracks and downgrades to truehd or surround.

So if anyone has tried this out in powerdvd20, let me know if your AV says that it's using dolby atmos.

YES it does!
And DTS X as well.

I am using RTX 1080 and sometimes when New Driver is ready to install my PC does the same as what you experience till I update the driver and Restart.
Than everything back to normal.
Do not know why`s that just got used to it.
I always CLEAN Install the latest NVidia Drivers if that matter I do not know.

P.S. GTX 1080 and Yamaha RX A3050 ALWAYS show Atmos and DTS X tracks when NONE Decoded option.

PowerDVD 18, 19 and 20 All ULTRA been supporting ATMOS and DTS X in my config

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 15. 2020 02:21

DESTRUCTO86 [Avatar]
[Post New]

YES it does!
And DTS X as well.

I am using RTX 1080 and sometimes when New Driver is ready to install my PC does the same as what you experience till I update the driver and Restart.
Than everything back to normal.
Do not know why`s that just got used to it.
I always CLEAN Install the latest NVidia Drivers if that matter I do not know.

P.S. GTX 1080 and Yamaha RX A3050 ALWAYS show Atmos and DTS X tracks when NONE Decoded option.

PowerDVD 18, 19 and 20 All ULTRA been supporting ATMOS and DTS X in my config

Very helpful but also opens up a can of worms. I noticed you mentioned nvidia, which I also have the 2080ti. Unfortunately its useless to me watching 4k bluray because I have to use my onboard intel graphics in order to watch physical 4k bluray discs.

So I can only assume at this point, this issue seems intel graphics driver related where it doesnt support dolby atmos?

Wanted to add that because of bluray DRM, I cant use nvidia graphics to watch physical 4k bluray discs. Digital 4k movies aren't a problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 15. 2020 02:57

Nedywest [Avatar]
[Post New]

Very helpful but also opens up a can of worms. I noticed you mentioned nvidia, which I also have the 2080ti. Unfortunately its useless to me watching 4k bluray because I have to use my onboard intel graphics in order to watch physical 4k bluray discs.

So I can only assume at this point, this issue seems intel graphics driver related where it doesnt support dolby atmos?

Wanted to add that because of bluray DRM, I cant use nvidia graphics to watch physical 4k bluray discs. Digital 4k movies aren't a problem.

I watch ONLY Digital and the experience is for Digital ONLY Media.
I do not remenber if my Laptop which uses Intel Graphics (640 HD) also output Atmos an DTS X via AVR. I am sure it output DTS-HD and TrueHD I have not used it for that reasons for quite long time.
I will check later on and update but than again it will be for a Diggital 4K BluRay. I do not have fisical media or player to check.
Nedywest [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just checked and can confirm that PowerDVD20 Ultra OUTPUT Atmos and DTS-X tracks via Intel HD4600 integrated graphic card on my Laptop and my Yanaha RX A3050 correctly recognise it (provide NONE Decode Audio option been sellected).

P.S. It is worth changing the HDMI cable to be sure it is not the issue.

P.S. In fact PowerDVD ULTRA 18 & 19 also output Atmos and DTS-X tracks correctly eithr via NVidia RTX 1080 and Intel HD4600

THIS is for Bluray DIGITAL MEDIA.

P.S. I do not know if make difference BUT forgot to say that I output 4K BluRay Media to 1080p TV Saving to Upgrade my TV this Black Friday / Christmas sales
But the question was about the sound so I think it should not make difference here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 15. 2020 04:48

Dirt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 09, 2021 04:08 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There is an Option to "NONE DECODED BITSTREAM" to choose when Play HD Audio. You have to Thick it when you start the movie as Power DVD default is " let power DVD to convert ..." something.
Z

Hey mate

I am on V.20x

I see no "NONE DECODED BITSTREAM" option

And please tell me what "TO THICK IT" means

I have used this software for years and have never had to do any serious settings adjustments,but with surround and ATMOS , it is not so easy to suss

Cheers
Wizard of Ounce [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 04, 2016 22:55 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have used this software for years and have never had to do any serious settings adjustments,but with surround and ATMOS , it is not so easy to suss

It doesn't help that there's no mention, whatsoever, of 'Dolby Atmos' in the promo blurbs of PowerDVD (up to and including v21).

Perhaps Cyberlink believes that its customers are all au fait with the myriad flavours of Dolby/DTS formats; and so doesn't see much point in providing format information, and how PowerDVD processes the various formats and codecs.

There is nothing about the architectures of the various Dolby/DTS formats that is self-evidently intuitive to the average user of PowerDVD i.e. not everyone is a Home-theatre audio enthusiast.

For those unfamiliar with, or are new to, 'Dolby Atmos', if the audio of the source disk/file is Atmos-encoded then PowerDVD will 'pass-through' the raw audio-stream to whatever device will be doing the processing of your audio (e.g. A/V receiver). Provided your audio-processor is Atmos-capable, it will distribute the correct audio to the correct speakers.

I have tested Atmos soundtracks in PowerDVD 21 Ultra on my laptop whose HDMI output is connected to my Yamaha A/V receiver (the receiver's audio processor is set to 'Direct'). All good here.

Caveat: the HDMI archirecture - despite being touted as 'one connector to rule them all' - is brimming with numerous 'incompatibility' shortcomings that range from HDCP to 'HDMI Version' issues. All great fun! So if you can't get PowerDVD to play nice with the other components in home-theatre chain, it may not be Cyberlink's fault.