Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Circle cut out edit
robusto400 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 22, 2020 11:16 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Does PD 11 have a crop or other option to cut out the center of the pic and make it into a circle shape as opposed to rectangular? I would think there is a template for this but have not been able to find it.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
PD11 is quite old, but I think it should have plenty of mask shapes to choose from. The'ye located in the PiP Designer in PD13:

If none of those are the shape you want, use the Create Mask button near the bottom. You can also invert the mask and remove everything inside the shape.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 06. 2020 16:55

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
robusto400 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick reply. However, I made a mistake in that I was referencing this ability to do in PHOTODirector 11. I am running Cyberlink 365 and yes I do see what you recommended in my PowerDirector 18. Thanks.

(Edited by moderator - formatting error)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 06. 2020 18:05

[Post New]
Hello robusto400,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

It can be a little confusing when referring to "PD" & "PhD".

It's easy enough to cut out a shape in the centre of a photo, though it takes a couple of separate steps.

Here's a raw screen capture showing what I think you're trying to do. It's partially achieved in the Edit module, then exported as a new image, then the overlaid shape is made transparent. i.e. "cut out"

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 06. 2020 18:03

PIX YouTube channel
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the quick reply. However, I made a mistake in that I was referencing this ability to do in PHOTODirector 11.

No, it was my error as you posted in the correct forum while I jumped straight in to PowerDirector mode. After seeing your post I started looking at doing something like what PIX's video showed - but now that it's here you already have the answer.

Thanks PIX

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
robusto400 [Avatar]
[Post New]

No, it was my error as you posted in the correct forum while I jumped straight in to PowerDirector mode. After seeing your post I started looking at doing something like what PIX's video showed - but now that it's here you already have the answer.

Thanks PIX

I still could not get what I was looking for as I probably described it wrong. I was really looking for a "crop to shape" tool or process. I found a free online tool that got me what I was looking for but still wondering if PhotoDirector can do the same? I am trying to attach the images before and after but the forum website keeps timing out and crashing on me this morning.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I had prepared an answer after reading the OP’s last post that has since disappeared. He may have wanted only a center circular portion of the original image.

As in the tutorial, Edit/Use Area Tool instead of the Shape tool/Manual brush selection/Ellipse/Height and Width/Operation/Invert selection/Delete selection produced the result asked in my PHD10.

EDIT: The OP’s last post has reappeared.
[Post New]
Absolutely true tomasc!

Your process is far more elegant & straight-forward than the one I proposed.

Using the Select Area Tool, rather than the Shape Tool, allows the whole thing to be achieved in the Edit module.

PIX PIX YouTube channel