Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video not MP4
boongsong [Avatar]
Contributor Location: Arvin, CA Joined: May 18, 2010 14:48 Messages: 482 Offline
[Post New]
Ok. Need some help here. Never had this problem before until I upgraded to Win 10. Did a search "pds not mp4". Several posts on that but all that I checked were not for my version - PD16.
Here's what I'm experiencing, actually 2 things but will only post one here - PDS videos not produced as MP4.
I made a video of approx. 21 video clips. Did all of my editing, when to Produce. When the window opened, H.264 AVC was highlighted. File ext. says MP4 and below that MPEG-4 1280 x 720/30p (16 Mbps). Selected Surround Sound/Home theater then start.
When finished, went to Create Disc, selected Create a folder - no disc. Gave the file a name - C:\Users|My HP tower\Lao music 1, then clicked Start burning.
File burned. Went to Users/HP tower\Lao musc 1 and it was there. Clicked on Properties, says PDS file (PDS).
Can anyone tell me why it didn't come out as MP4?
As for the other problem, it concerns videos from PD missisng. Will make a separate post on that.
If you need addditional info, please let me know.
Thanks Jack
PD 14.0.2302.0 HP h8-1280t, Intel Core i7-3820, CPU 3.60Hzm 64-bit, 10GB mem, 1 TB hard drive
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe a clarification will help.

PDS stands for PowerDirector Script, and it's the project file containing all the edits you've made on your timeline that tells PD how you want your finished video to look. It's not a playable format and doesn't even contain any media, so I don't know why you chose the PDS file rather than the correctly produced MP4 file when you burned your disc.

When you produce there's a setting that shows the proposed name and folder where the produced video will be created, and you can change one or both of those to make the video easier to find.

I'm also unclear on why you produced the video and then tried to create a disc. It's been many years since I burned any discs, but if you went straight to the Create Disc tab once you'd finished editing your project, PD would directly create your disc and there'd be no chance of accidentally choosing the wrong file.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
boongsong [Avatar]
Contributor Location: Arvin, CA Joined: May 18, 2010 14:48 Messages: 482 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Maybe a clarification will help.

PDS stands for PowerDirector Script, and it's the project file containing all the edits you've made on your timeline that tells PD how you want your finished video to look. It's not a playable format and doesn't even contain any media, so I don't know why you chose the PDS file rather than the correctly produced MP4 file when you burned your disc.

When you produce there's a setting that shows the proposed name and folder where the produced video will be created, and you can change one or both of those to make the video easier to find.

I'm also unclear on why you produced the video and then tried to create a disc. It's been many years since I burned any discs, but if you went straight to the Create Disc tab once you'd finished editing your project, PD would directly create your disc and there'd be no chance of accidentally choosing the wrong file.

Thanks optodata for your response.
I guess I wasn't to clear in my post.
First, I'm not sure what you mean by "why you chose the PDS file rather than the correctly produced MP4 file." I did not choose the PDS file. I don't even know how to do that. All I did was import the video clips from my videos folder. All the videos are MP4. Once I got them in my library, I selected all and insert on the timeline. I then edited each clips length, added chapters, saved the project, wen to Produce. What came up on the Produce window is what I showed on my oriiginal post - see in my atch. I did not change a thing in this stage - I left it as is because PD said that's what is correct. I then clicked Start. When finished,
I went to the create disc, clicked on Burn in 2D, and on the next window, I left Burn to disc and save as disc image unchecked and checked Creat a folder, gave the folder location a name and clicked burn.
After the project completed the burn, I went to my Videos folder and the project was there, with a PD icon. I right clicked on the icon and Properties and it shows it as a PDS file (PDS). (see atch).
I looked everywhere for the MP4 version - nothing. I went to Documents (that's where PD is saved), clicked on Cyberlink, Powerdirector, PD16 and when it opened, no video, not even the PDS version. The MP4 version is nowhere in my computer. Don;'t know why, never had this problem before when using Win 7.
It's obvious I did not make myself clear in my post. I did not try to create a disc. I don't want the video on disc as I have a different agenda for it and putting it on disc would be useless. I did click on Creat a disc so I could save a copy of the project in my Video folder. As far as I know, I have to go to the Create disc stage to create a file to save the project to. I there is a different way, I'm not aware of it. What I did is the way I've done it for years. Sometimes I'd check Create disc and save to file and end up with a disc and the video in my videos folder.
So, I apologize for not being a little clearer and hope this post will help clear up any misunderstanding.
[Thumb - cl2.JPG]
 Filename
cl2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Thumb - cl.JPG]
 Filename
cl.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
64 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 04. 2020 16:44

Jack
PD 14.0.2302.0 HP h8-1280t, Intel Core i7-3820, CPU 3.60Hzm 64-bit, 10GB mem, 1 TB hard drive
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I think we're still not on common ground here. I'm still unclear of why you're using both Produce and Create Disc especially since you're not creating a disc, so maybe we can start at the most basic level and see if we can get this straightened out.

If you want to produce a video from various source clips, these are the minimum steps:

1. Create a new PowerDirector project (which is a PDS file)

2. Import your media clips

3. Place them on the timeline, make your edits and save the project

4. Produce the video

That's it. Nothing else needs to be done. No reason to ever click on Create Disc because the PDS project (which you've saved to Documents) contains all the edits you made and you can reopen the project at any time to make more changes.

One part you seem to be missing is where the produced video is located. When you're on the Produce page, the area to the right of your screenshot shows the exact location and name of your produced video. You are free to click on the button with the triple dots and direct it to anywhere you want, like your desktop or Videos folder:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
k. boongsong.
you've done it two different ways.

number 1.
Quote ... I selected all and insert on the timeline. I then edited each clips length, added chapters, saved the project, wen to Produce. What came up on the Produce window is what I showed on my oriiginal post - see in my atch. I did not change a thing in this stage - I left it as is because PD said that's what is correct. I then clicked Start. When finished, ...

here like optpdata has said go to the output folder, then you'll see the 1280x720 .MP4 file.

number 2.
Quote ...I went to the create disc, clicked on Burn in 2D, and on the next window, I left Burn to disc and save as disc image unchecked and checked Creat a folder, gave the folder location a name and clicked burn.
After the project completed the burn, I went to my Videos folder and the project was there, with a PD icon. I right clicked on the icon and Properties and it shows it as a PDS file (PDS). (see atch). ...

you've created a video(VOB files) folder so that you can burn it later with programs like Power2Go or Imgburn or windows, etc...

now.
look at what optodata has said and look at his attachment(picture) so that you can locate where the EXPORT FOLDER to your .MP4 file is. it should be right of START button on the PRODUCE windows.

attach a new screen shot of the produce page(cl.jpg shows only left side) then we can tell you where the 1280x720 .MP4 file went. ^^

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 05. 2020 02:41

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote k. boongsong.
you've done it two different ways.

number 1.

here like optpdata has said go to the output folder, then you'll see the 1280x720 .MP4 file.

number 2.

you've created a video(VOB files) folder so that you can burn it later with programs like Power2Go or Imgburn or windows, etc...

now.
look at what optodata has said and look at his attachment(picture) so that you can locate where the EXPORT FOLDER to your .MP4 file is. it should be right of START button on the PRODUCE windows.

attach a new screen shot of the produce page(cl.jpg shows only left side) then we can tell you where the 1280x720 .MP4 file went. ^^

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks to both of you for your help.
I think it was a combination of two things that prompted my original post - 1. Problems with my computer 2. Not being familiar with the part shown in optodata's pic.
1st. I've been having problems with my computer doing some very strange things. Won't go into detail but stuff that should be on it were missing; things in my email shouldn't be there; strange fluctuations on my screen (stilll don't know if that is computer or monitor. Can't get an answer). Then, for some reason, when I went to C:\users\mycomputer\videos, there they were.
2. The area shown on optodata's post is something I've never looked at because I've never had a problem doing my projects the way I posted. I just now loaded my latest project into PD and went to Produce and looked at the Export folder. That was the reason I wasn't able to find my videos. It was exporting them to the folder shown in the atch. I do not use One Drive for anything, therefore I never thought to look there. The only strange thing is when I go to them, every link has a red x on it. No idea what that is.
Anyway, I've learned something in this exercise which is the norm on these forums. I can't tell you how much I appreciate both of your perseverance in setting me straight. To make sure this doesn't continue, I will use PepsiMan's post to mark it Solved even though optodata's post did it. Hope that's ok.
[Thumb - cl3.JPG]
 Filename
cl3.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - cl4.JPG]
 Filename
cl4.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
13 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
Jack